Will radius 2 be OK for...

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
George Stein

Will radius 2 be OK for...

Post by George Stein »

Will radius 2 be Ok for Bachmann 57xx 0-6-0, Bachmann Collett, and (dare I ask) the to-be-released Hornby GWR Autocoach?
Terrier

Re: Will radius 2 be OK for...

Post by Terrier »

You should be fine there with radius 2, most 0-6-0's have little problem negociating fairly tight curves. the autocoach might rub a bit on it's axles, but that to should go round with no problems.
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

The autocoach is the ancient Airfix model, its fine on sub-first radius curves so second will be no problem what so ever.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Thank you.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Inevitably, it may not be quite so simple.

Is that radius 2 (438mm or 17.25") of the Hornby / Peco / Bachmann UK set track systems which are the standard in the UK for OO, or radius 2 of another HO maker's system? Some mainland European HO set track systems are on a completely different set of radii, same may apply to some US HO set track based on what I have seen over the years.

While that probably will not matter for the relatively short wheelbase locos and bogie coach you have mentioned, it may become an issue on some longer wheelbase items, should one catch your eye. It should never be forgotten that OO involves a 14% linear expansion over HO, and this can start to make a difference in minimum radius capability in longer coupled chassis. (My fingers are crossed that Hornby have some solutions for this in the GWR 2-8-0T and 2-8-2T models they have announced. In reality these locos were designed with an unnecessarily extended wheelbase, and the latter type was well known for derailing.)
roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

I have a 22xx, 57xx and an autocoach, all 3 run well on 1'st to 4th radius track, so you'll have no problems on 2nd radius

hope this helps

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

Just note that to get the 22xx to run on 1st rad curves, you'll need to remove the small buffers from the front of the tender (they can be pulled out fairly easily). At least that was what I needed to do with both of mine.