erratic running on Peco crazy track and new Roco loco

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Thediz42

erratic running on Peco crazy track and new Roco loco

Post by Thediz42 »

I have an extensive DCC OO scale layout and have put a narrow guage line in to try my hand at another dimension of modeling. aaaahh it's not going well......
The track is new Peco crazy track with droppers from every length of track. The Roco loco is 0-6-0 and brand new. The track has been cleaned and every thing was set but the running is erratic and judders and stops even at med speed.
I set up a circle of test track to run the loco as per manufacturers instruction and even on this it runs the same. The track has a good cable running from the controller and has been soildered onto the track. The only possible issue I can see is the controller is old at over 20 yrs. It is n and OO compatible but are these old controllers up to powering modern motors. I only use the controller to supply 16v and power a turn table up to now. Any help or suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance. Happy New Year.
Bufferstop

Re: erratic running on Peco crazy track and new Roco loco

Post by Bufferstop »

Getting good running in 009 is significantly harder than in 00 and due to most locos being 0-4-0s or 0-6-0s even more difficult than in N. Every bit of advice in the getting better performance book applies but even more so. Ensure track is flat, no humps caused by rail joiners, points flat across the blades and frog etc. Cleaning is also more critical, wheel tyres and backs, pickup wipers and rail heads. The other problem is weight, the locos are generally too small to put in enough to keep the wheels in good contact with the rails. White metal kit locos often outperform plastic bodied RTR ones.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

You've not said which Roco 0-6-0 it is, but both models are very good runners, especially the new ones... I've found that older controllers built for OO are quite often not very good with HOe or N gauge mechs especially slow running. Which controller is it?

Personally I'd be tempted to find someone who has a proper N gauge controller and/or layout and test the loco on that. Then you can see if its the loco or controller at fault.
Thediz42

Post by Thediz42 »

Thank you guys for both the replies. I have ordered a gaugemaster combi controller to see if it helps as its the only weak link I can think off. I even ensured the loco was oiled as per instructions before running in. I have my OO layout running smooth as silk at all speeds and although the same is not expected of the 009 I can not imagine the running quality I have is anything but terrible. My existing controller is a Tasma double controller. I know points can give bad running but the fact that new straights cause issues is a worry!
Thediz42

Post by Thediz42 »

Well the controller has arrived and been installed. No luck running is still terrible so am now at a total loss. Gleaming track, new loco, new controller and still a train that has to be pushed as it keeps stalling and jerking.
b308

Post by b308 »

This just doesn't make sense, I've owned several of the Roco locos and they've all been fine... Either take the loco back and get it checked out... Or... if it's the outside frame version (you've not told is which loco it is!) - it's not DCC is it?!!