PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PeterH

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Post by PeterH »

Just a short video showing an 8K and 9J (which Dad-1 kindly ordered for me from the collectors club many years ago) passing through the station.

YouTube link (click image).
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Nice video - love the station buildings.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I’ve had those buildings from when Bachmann first released them years ago, it has taken a long time to final fit them to a platform!

Yesterday I managed to have a train complete the full circuit on the outer line however a few problem sections were identified. First was a section across the corner baseboards. I had used several short sections of track and unevenness seemed to be causing derailments. That was sorted out by replacing the trackwork with one long piece of flexitrack - fixed. Second issue was my 8K and the odd empty wagon would jump a point. The point is unhelpfully located nearly immediately after a curve on a baseboard joint. The point was replaced with a shorter one allowing little space for the loco to straighten up before reaching it and a little packing under the toe of the point has helped. Last issue only occurred after taking the coal train off and testing the short goods with the 9J. Some of the lighter empty wagons and vans didn’t like a curve prior to the tunnel which was a non-issue with the heavier coal train. Where it comes off the curved point the flexi-track sharpens a little. I should be able to make the curve gentler which should sort that out!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I’ve not been as active on my layout the last few weeks much to my own annoyance! Only thing of note is the arrival of the Bachmann/Locomotion 790 Hardwicke which I’ve tarted up.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Stunning. I think I recall seeing "Hardwicke" at the London Transport Museum back around '66.
Nessie rocks!
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Well it’s finally arrived, GCR 9N by Sonic Models, hauling a 3D printed GCR Matchboard Coach (which I’m building a rake of).

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Peter,

Long time no postings.
How has the 3D printed coach gone ?
How much work and have you ballasted to bring the weight up ?

Geoff T.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I know, it is dreadfully remiss of me! The coach was a pleasure to build. A bit of a rub down, prime, paint, teak effect, glazing, buffers etc.. Just needs transfers now.

Didn’t need any ballast, the coach is heavy enough as it it.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
End2end

Post by End2end »

"Handsome carriage" springs to mind.
Very nice print and finish. :)
What would be the rough total cost of the finished coach just out of interest?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Coach £70
Paints £30
Wheels £Free
Buffers £Free
Glazing £Free
Transfers £7
Primer £7

So £114 initial outlay. I was lucky to have a lot of stuff such as wheels and buffers in my collection already. I’ve enough paint to do 100 teak coaches if I wanted to and transfers (when I get them) and primer will do multiple coaches.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Quite an expense. Somehow I thought they would be cheaper to print.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I’ve a few more to do. Two Matchboard Brakes and a Barnum.

And also arriving today a train for my Stirling Single I purchased 11 odd years ago! Finally!

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have moved area and I was walking around a local town to the place I am temporarily staying and I saw into a shop window to see a few designs of plastic shapes in the window. Was just passing by so I didn't stop as I was tracking down some food, but I am sure it is a 3D print shop. I guess they print off designs one needs.

You are building some fine coaches! Not cheap but you have things that few others have which has to be worth the money! Those Stirling singles look great.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do like the look of that Stirling Single.
Can't justify buying one though.
Nice to see others 'In service'

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Woohoo! Lots of activity there, and your GCR coach builds are a real treat, reflecting much careful work.
As for the 9N (later LNER/BR A5) as good as current RTR OO provides in my opinion, a very accomplished production which is a fine achievement from Sam at Sonic. (Now waiting with interest for whatever is next announced in OO from this source...)
Dad-1 wrote:I do like the look of that Stirling Single...
It looks right because it is right. Leading bogie with the cylinders over the bogie centre, driven wheels, and a trailing truck under the cab: and that's the correct format for maximum power steam express traction established. In the UK this paved the way for the development path to the Atlantic and Pacific, than which nothing larger proved necessary; abroad it stretched finally to stupendous 4-8-4's.

The Locomotion/Rapido Stirling single model is a beauty. The action when running is a graceful glide along the rails, really lovely. I am not trying to tempt you, honest...