PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PeterH

PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Post by PeterH »

Howdy all,

As some of you may be aware from my previous thread, I am now starting to build my first decent size roundy-roundy layout in my bedroom.

Rough plan hither:

The GCR station will be based on the one at Rothley (which Bachmann have kindly produced in RTR). The other station on the main board I would like to make it a GCR/Metropolitan station; how successful that will be I do not know.

So far, the baseboard wood is nearly ready; I just need to one of them to size, add frames and put legs on them and they are done.
The Bachmann GCR station is also on order. Photos will come as soon as I start construction.

That's all for now!
Last edited by PeterH on Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
kennyGWSR

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Post by kennyGWSR »

Sounds good Peter, cannot wait to see this progress!
iankemp

Post by iankemp »

Hi Peter.

Will you be doing the full size model of Rothley station? Cos if it is gonna be about 8ft long. Also for reference my frind on here DonB is doing a layout based on Ruddington station, it maybe worth having a look at his layout and his other thread about the rtr buildings of Rothley.

This one is for the layout
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=14899

This one is for the Bachmann buildings.
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =3&t=33849

I will be watching this thread with interest as the GCR has a special place in my heart!
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I do have about 8ft set aside for the station, the platform can take 4 coaches and a loco if my memory and measurements serve me correct. I may also attach a detachable goods yard to the side of the station board. I am umming and arrghing about whether or not to cut the 8ft board into two sections, and bolt them together - just to make it easier to transport should I wish to do so.

Many thanks for the links by the by, they will prove useful for inspiration no doubt!

The GCR/Met. type station won't be an accurate reproduction of anything; it will be North of Rickmansworth station, so I won't have to put in the electrical type thingies. The whole lot will be based around the late Edwardian period, but I shall still run what stock I like, I'm not fussy like that.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great Central, that sounds good for a start, what time, GCR, LNER or BR, or a mix of everything ?? good luck. :D :D

manna

PS, Didn't read your last post very well, GC/Met, looks like plenty of variety, is to be the name of the game.
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I'll probably run all sorts really. I do tend to swing in favour of the LNER, but if I like the look of something; and can afford it - I'll probably buy it! The GCR did have a wonderful mix of things running on it anywho.

By the by, the GCR High Level Entrance steps have arrive, and look a treat! I'll be waiting on the other bits in the New Year - which leads me on to wish everyone on the forums a Happy New Year and a prosperous 2012.

Station names have been decided as well. Linden Lea and Black Stitchel. Both are pieces of music, the first by my favourite composer, Vaughan Williams, the second by Ivor Gurney. Both well worth a listen, especially Linden Lea.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Here is the photos of the GCR High Level Entrance - a wonderful model, and my very first resin model.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

All my GCR buildings arrived to day, and I am again vastly impressed with the quality. I had better crack on with the building I suppose!
Although, with the GCR buildings I had another delivery as well; two enormous boxes filled to the brim of all my old clothes and toys from when I was a young lad, dumped here by my brother. These boxes now dominate my room; so I'll have to sort through it all and send it all off to the charity shop before I can make any progress to the layout - what joys.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Certainly impressive looking building, and something that you don't have to spend months making.

If, you wish to run a GC type passenger train, the old generic Hornby, clerestory coaches can be adapted to look like GC, by removing the roof and replacing it with a flatter one and adjusting the door grabs, painted brown, they would be suitable up to early BR.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

As previously mentioned, all the GCR buildings are now here. Here are a few photos of them, just lain out at the moment for you to see. Progress remains slow due to those boxes still being in the way.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
siquelme

Post by siquelme »

Your layout looks really promising cant wait to see what you do with it
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/
iankemp

Post by iankemp »

Looking good! Just reminds me when Butler Henderson was there when i was a kid!

On another note I have found that Bachmann do platforms and i have found some on ebay priced at £15 each, there is also platform ramps as well that will go well with the bridge and buildings you have got!
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I am going to make my own platform for it, cheaper and I can build it to my liking. Although now that I have a new job, I now don't have much time for layout building. Working 6 days a week, busy weekends. Not good conditions for model railway building! Still, tomorrow once I've finished this little project for my MRS (improving the 'vehicles carrying box' for exhibitions and storage); I can then get on with preparing for and building of the layout.

Also, I have bought the GCR liveried 8k from Bachmann/NRM. It was an ebay purchase for a very good price of £102. Considering the NRM have sold out, I was expecting to pay more for it! Not less! To go with it I have also bought 9 new wagons. 5 of the LNER 13T High Sided Steel Open wagons, and 4 8 plank end door 'Ketton Cement' wagons. Both Bachmann bargain packs from Hattons. The wagons set me back £65 inc. P&P. If I got a heavy freight engine, I had to build up a respectable goods train for it! If it is all here by Thursday, I'll take photos and or video of it on the club test track.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Looking good peter, the buildings from bachmann are certainly impressive, all be not cheap but worth it in the end. As you say making your own platform is probably cheaper and you can shape it to how you want, and then you can just add texture paper ect...

Nice to hear about your purchase good find, i had some luck over christmas on ebay with good priced items.

just a small not, the piece of board along the back which i assume will be a back scene in the end? if your having one.. I would make it slightly higher, thats just me, as i had originally one that sort of size... and when taking photos it wasn't big enough and you always get some of the wall in the background.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

The buildings were somewhat pricey! But I have bought the whole set, so if I ever did need to sell them; I could do it as a complete set, and possibly get more for them. But there are no plans to do so!
A GCR platform would be moderately easy to make, very straight sided...

Photos were only of the buildings lain out, the back scene will be higher, and there will be a cutting/embankment hillside thingy next to the tracks. Pretty much as Rothley is. That section will be portable for the sake of exhibitions; although I doubt I'll be taking it to a 'proper' exhibition, more a South West Herts MRS members layouts exhibition; which is in October - so I have a date in which it needs to be complete!

All the wagons have arrived, as well as the 8K. I'll be taking them to the club tonight to run on the test track. Photos of that to come later.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.