Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
m.levin

Re: Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Post by m.levin »

Don't be a **** tell us
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Yer it's got me
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

American pie = Pi$$
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Badly constructed software (Poorly Instigated System Structure) = P I S S
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Power Induced Static Spark = P.I.S.S.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

m.levin wrote:Don't be a **** tell us
I defer to the founders wish that the filter should be used. I just can't tell anyone, it's so simple, I'm amazed that no one has sussed it. All I can think is that anyone who shares my years of experience is acting responsibly and keeping schtum. I spent 14 years running a college network, there was always a group of oiks who got their amusement by inserting progressively more innapropriate material into the printer queue, or emails sent at random. The filter just caused them more ammusement so I changed it so that instead of putting asterisks on their screens, it just redirected the output to an old printer in the corner of my office (the converted broom cupboard that was also the server room).
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

October has been busy ........ Although I've not been on here as much as I used to be.
This layout was prepared for the Weymouth M R A exhibition on 28th & 29th October
and true to form forgot to take any still pictures, but did manage a couple of 'test' videos
after stock changes on Saturday close of business.
For what it's worth here we have one of my assistants crawling into the operating well to
gather things before heading home !

https://youtu.be/KgNmhthtxhI

Many favourable comments - One, someone had not bought a Hornby heavy tank locomotive
as in some publication it was claimed it's haulage was below par, was delighted to see one
pulling 41 at a scale 16 MPH. It was also some satisfaction that so many could see the value
to a modeller of dispensing with a barren fiddleyard and replacing with scenic exchange sidings.
It was quite hard work, 143 wagons, 21 coaches and just 9 locomotives but even then I needed
a hired van for transport.

In the meantime also become my clubs Chairman ....... I should learn to keep my mouth shut !!

Geoff T.
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

Dad-1 wrote: but even then I needed
a hired van for transport.
Geoff T.
Hard work but obviously enjoyable, do the BRM Cakebox Challenge & make next yr easier :)
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi HarryR,

Sensible man ! Next year we've already been asked to take our 'Thomas' layout.
All fits easily into the car and we don't even have to drive it as that's for the children.
Look at all the extra 'chat' time we gain !!

Geoff T.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

There'll be no stopping you now as Chairman, Geoff. :lol:

Paul
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

What will being 'Chair'man do for your back Geoff, does it mean
more sitting down? :wink:

Jim.
ps. Layout looks great, nice sweeping curves through the station, neat video too.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Last postings October ........Last time together being the Weymouth Exhibition
at the end of October, like 8 months ago.
Seriously I do like to prepare a good reliable running layout, after 8 months in a
garden shed it's time to clean tracks, test points, in particular the Peco polarity
switches which have proved to be the most unreliable part of my layout.

Doing it in bright sunlight gave a chance to take a few well lit photographs. Is it a
cheat in the "Under Construction" heading ? I do find a few jobs that I need to tidy,
or update. Note all track testing done by a Hornby bargain S&DJR Jinty - already
had it off the end once today !!

I'll add pictures when I've got onto my hosting link.

For anyone out there who fancies a big layout I say think again, this is something of a white elephant.
Too big to get anywhere without a hired van & driver, too large to put up anywhere indoors. I can just
manage on our patio, but it needs a minimum of 2 people to get it up.

I say think compact !!

Geoff T.
Last edited by Dad-1 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding photographs
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Quite right Dave,

It started off as a 'private' club layout with 4 of us going to collaborate in it's costs, construction, and transport.
One dropped out before we'd even started started, Terry became the MKMRS exhibition manager and his input was
about £100 worth of points. Then we had Jamie at school who did a lot of work, but couldn't have any financial input,
then he went off to and joined the Army who sponsored him through university.
That left me who put in nearly all the finance, track, points and decoders amounting to over £1000. So when I moved
it came with me as my layout and nobody had any issues with that. Jamie would still love to be involved but seems to
get all over the world and never around on the few outings CM gets - last time he was in Canada !!

Dave your problem is not closing the design & build standards and keeping to the plan. You allow yourself to wander off
with new and interesting ideas ...... so now't gets finished.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Dave,

Finish them all off - one at a time .........

I do understand the temptations only too well and in truth Nothing of mine is what I'd claim
to be fully finished, just that I get further than you !
CM for instance needs some gates making, more signals constructed, finishing off the
Builders Yard where the two buildings have never had guttering or company logo decals
printing and attaching, then there is the ......... and so it goes on.
All I hide behind is there is enough 'finished' to hide quite effectively what still needs doing.

With CM my problem is with so few uses I can't pump up the enthusiasm for the hours of work
and costs to reach what I'd call an end game. We are looking at new storage end plates giving
increased clearance between boards so signals could be permanently attached rather than plug
on and with that making them work and a chance of automatic electronic control.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I Just don't know what to do !!
Yes, ME, someone who usually knows exactly what they're doing, or at least trying to do.
The next Castell Mawr outing, could it be the last
WHAT do I run ??? The layout was designed to be GWR/LMS post WWII and Early BR.

A one day show - There is not the time to exchange stock, just 6 hours and to remove
and replace a complete train can take between 20 minutes and half an hour. Yes, when you
have to put things away and replace perhaps 30 wagons while making certain you don't
knock something that's already running around the layout off !

Thinking a session of GWR with 1 x 9 coach passenger train - O.K which locomotive the
normal Castle, or perhaps a 4-6-0 County, then what about a Hall ??
GWR freight ? perhaps a 38XX, but then the 5205 looks good working hard, what about the 43XX,
various small prairies, 56XX, Collett goods, then a layout in GWR land without a 57XX ??

I'm not intending to take a LMS loco in an attempt to reduce the number of locomotives taken
to an absolute maximum of 7. That means no Webb Coal Tank, Black 5, Fairburn Tank, 3F,
Jinty, or Midland Compound.

Mostly I shall 'I Think' run BR early emblem. Dean Goods with sound, Collett Goods, 56XX, G2A,
42XX, 3F, 4F ....... Oh so many !!
This lets me run so much more stock where currently I'm trying to keep to under 200. Sounds a lot
but I will be running goods trains of up to 40+ wagons ?

For once I just don't know !!

Geoff T.