The Ashbrooke Renewal Project by Whoshotjimmi

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whoshotjimmi

Re: The Ashbrooke Renewal Project by Whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Thanks, Whynot.

Just a little update - I have started laying the finished platform surfaces. Scalescenes tarmac was printed onto thin card which I then stuck to stiff card before cutting to the desired shape. Once glued into position, I added some scalescenes tiles which were printed on to thin card and stuck on top. I have also placed some Ratio wooden fencing at the back of platform 4 to stop the miniature people from going where they shouldn't!
1.jpg
1.jpg (196.05 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (252.66 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Feel free to comment and, as always, thanks for looking!

James
They're two, they're four, they're six, they're eight........
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

oh wow that does look good :D
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Cheers GSN. And here are a couple more to whet the appetite....
1.jpg
1.jpg (192.04 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (221.42 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Hi all,

I have made a little further progress on New Ashbrooke. I have finally got around to adding a backboard. Quite basic, just a piece of white 3mm hardboard screwed to the baseboard. It will remain white - I much prefer focusing my attention on the action itself. I will be adding bits and pieces to add depth, but that is as far as it will go. A few buildings arrived to add a bit of ambience to the rear of the board. I have also got around to making a start on the road overbridge. A bit rough at the moment, but it will all come together nicely. Some lampposts arrived from a place called Shaftesbury a couple of days ago also. They will be added to the layout once repainted. Anyway, enough chat. Have a gander....
1.jpg
1.jpg (222.94 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (155.08 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (223.26 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Thanks for looking,

James
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Hi all.

It's been a while since the last update. This is due to a new job and new house. Much stress, many things that take priority over Ashbrooke.

Anyway, I have finished the front of the road overbridge, finished laying the platform surfaces on the board, painted and placed some lamp posts (I will have to get some more), repainted a Peco hydraulic buffer stop and placed it in the bay platform and made some scenic tweaks to give the place a bit more depth and realism. So far, the gritty, unloved and unkempt northerness of the place is coming along nicely. Coming up to privatisation, much of the stock and infrastructure under the BR banner was not well looked after. And North Western towns have always been a bit grim anyway. Next on the list is to finish planting lamp posts, start decorating the platforms with signs and furniture and I need to find a decent solution to the platform access issues (I had not properly planned where my staircases were going to go and, as such, I now need to come up with a bespoke footbridge). One or two piccies to show progress....
1.jpg
1.jpg (233.59 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (199.41 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (211.72 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (255.51 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
That's all for now. As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment! More updates will be available as time and money allow!

James
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Whilst waiting for some bits and pieces to come through the post, I planted some railings around the end of the bay platform. They are from the Peco Subway set and have been painted blue.

Please forgive the huge ugly gap in the platform surface. That is entirely my fault and I WILL be dealing with it!
1.jpg
1.jpg (187.74 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (223.65 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
James
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Nice updates and some nice stock !
All Aboooooard !!
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Thanks Britfarmer!

The stock is all early 90's pre privatisation. I know it all looks a little blue at the moment, but there are a great deal of liveries on offer. It is just a shame that it will be a while before trains will be running on it! However, once it makes it to its new home, I can start planning the rest of the layout. I still plan to build the layout a board at a time, but I may just be tempted to lay the track on all the boards so I can start running the odd local stopper on it. :wink: As I will shortly be moving away from old Ashbrooke, I won't have the ability to run trains. Although the Renewal Project does require a certain amount of gutting of the old layout. The fiddle yards will be coming with me for sure and then we shall have to see. I could do with salvaging all the pointwork if possible. Anyway, jobs for the distant future.

James
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Ok, so I have thrown up a quick mock up of what I am thinking. It is bigger than what I imagine will be the finished article. Also, I am going to work the structure around an existing modified footbridge as I am not modeller of the year. I think it is the best solution for this particular problem. Once I have the footbridge I am to base it around, I will make a start on the real thing.
1.jpg
1.jpg (197.34 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

The latest update of a productive week. First things first, A new arrival on Ashbrooke....
1.jpg
1.jpg (206.7 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Some more bits and pieces came in the post today and I got cracking straight away. I have added more lamp posts, some station name boards, some platform numbers, an information board and a couple of monitors. Additionally, I have taken the shelteer from the Heljan "Tackley Halt" set and added it to Ashbrooke - a perfect fit - and placed a clock and further monitors on to the structure. The pictures show what will be the main traffic through Ashbrooke - a plethora of Regional Railways Sprinters and Pacers (3 158's, a 155 and a couple of 142's currently await DCC conversion and a couple of DCC ready 156's await a space on the layout) - and with the commuter services increasing, passengers have made their way from the now barren old Ashbrooke.
2.jpg
2.jpg (233.98 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (199.28 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (230.22 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (219.28 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Thanks for looking and feel free to comment!!

James
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Really taking shape, and reminiscent of the early 90's with all the new DMU's coming on stream, I actually went to Neville Hill early one morning to work a train to Leeds, it was a 156, brand spanking new, still had the plastic on the seats and carpets, wonderful, but don't forget to run a old style DMU as there was still a few around. :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry double post :oops:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Very tidy work so far. Ashbrooke is certainly a busy place with all them units!
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Thanks guys.

Pacers and Sprinters is what I know from growing up in Leeds so it was inevitable that was how my modelling would turn out! I am modelling 1993. A couple of class 101's are very much on the cards working some locals to Manchester and Blackpool. However, most 101's in the North West were in Regional Railways livery by then. I suspect a mish mash of Lima bodyshells and Hornby chassis will be how I overcome that situation. I also plan to add a few more Sprinters and Pacers. They will be well complemented with Intercity 47's and HST's and 31 and 37 loco hauled services along with various freight workings (I got away with having a class 26 in Engineers after I found one on youtube at Bolton in '93 - the class was withdrawn in early '93). So there will be plenty of action. I just need the layout now! Ha! Well, at least I have made a start. The only regret I am having at the moment is that Realtrack's new Class 144 will not be available in 90's WYPTE livery which is quite disappointing because that would set it apart. But hey ho.

Cheers for the kind comments and hopefully, it won't be too long before I can start planning the next stage of the layout.

James
whoshotjimmi

Post by whoshotjimmi »

Well, old Ashbrooke is officially dead. Deassembly of the old layout began today in earnest. All the memories consigned to the past.

HOWEVER

It does mean I can now start planning the next couple of boards which will be the approaches to the station. Those of you familiar with old Ashbrooke will see some similarities as the new boards are constructed.
1.jpg
1.jpg (210.57 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
A rough pencil drawing of where the lines and platforms will go on board 2.
2.jpg
2.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
I will post updates as soon as they are available!

James