LMS Beyer Garratt at Hattons

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Tiddles

Re: LMS Beyer Garratt at Hattons

Post by Tiddles »

Old Man Phil wrote:Strange that we are told that the only ones available at the moment have the standard coal bunker and the one on the You Tube Video has a rotating bunker.!!!
The vid is by DCC Concepts and states "This was a late test of a full production chassis with lettering still not final".

So guess this not a final production model. Probably needs painting a detailing sorted before they release it to the public.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

Not so strange then...
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

Just seen a video on YouTube which doesn't bode well. Fortunatly, I have no interest in this type, as it would be far to big for my layout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QKemz9iO0
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

This is all a great shame. It's not Hattons' fault but they are left to deal with it. To date I had rated Heljan very highly but there is clearly a growing number of QC-related issues that have resulted in returns. Of course, we only know of the ones posted here and in other fora: the actual number of returns as a percentage of those sent out remains unknown.

I hate to say this but three of the four privately commissioned models that I have bought [Sentinel, 10000 and Garrett] all had to be returned for replacement. Further, another Sentinel bought from the commissioner at Warley failed to run also. The only trouble-free commissioned model that I have bought is the Well Tank. I really don't know whether this experience is significant though as many Hornby and Bachmann locos have been exchanged / replaced also.

I guess just a sign of the times ?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

it would be really interesting to see the % returns for all of them, doubt we would ever see the figures though
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Things have gone rather quiet here with regard to the Garratt front...........

My replacement arrived in less than 48 hours which is beyond commendable - well done Hattons. It is pretty well flawless too, although I did remove the front buffer beam moulding to detach and straighten the buffers and I also gently prized off the rectangular brass cover on top of the smokebox frame extension to reset it flush and in line with the rest of the footplate. If anyone on here wants to remove their front buffer beam, let me know first and I'll share my experience - there are big traps........

I have posted some photos of this beast for interest. It runs beautifully but I've not yet tested its haulage ability, I have only run it in. I'd be interested too to hear from anyone who has removed the front water tank body - mine won't budge......

The photos below are of the original damaged model - the damage isn't too obvious however and they do show how impressive this huge engine is. The slight paintwork blemishes are absent on my replacement model. Who in their right mind would have thought - say five years ago - that a British outline Garratt would be available in r-t-r one day ? That said, Dapol did threaten to release one about 15 years ago.

Note that I have also removed the canvass tender cover moulding. It doesn't look like canvass at all, just thin black plastic. It clips out easily to reveal the coal moulding below, and is all the better for that.

Tony
Tiddles

Post by Tiddles »

Would be interesting to compare one against the Bachmann EM-1.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

The details look really impressive, thanks for sharing your photos
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Thanks for the pictures. The fine wheel profile and small flanges are easily appreciated in those photos, another step toward gereater realism in RTR. Good start on Heljan's venture into OO steam.

Already seen notice of this model from 'outside OO'. This is only the second RTR garratt model anywhere, (a large Australian type in HO emerged some years ago) and larger models do tend to have broad appeal, especially when done well. Hattons and Heljan could do well out of overseas sales as well as those in the UK, because in HO terms this is - believe it or not - an affordable model. (Hattons of course have considerable rep as an efficent overseas supplier which doesn't hurt.)
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Unfortunately my attempts to download an iPhone video have failed completely. Consequently, you'll have to take my word for the fact that the Garratt comfortably lifted a rake of 81[rtr] coal trucks this evening. I think 100 would be easily within its reach.

Tony
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

If you view the video on your phone there should be a little box with a arrow in the bottom left, press it and it will ask you how you would like to share it - one of the options should be you tube after that follow on screen promts

Just make sure you are on wifi connection!

On windows PC it should just be a case of plugging it in via USB and it will pop up in my computer like a pen drive

On a mac it's little tricker plug it in and then open image capture this will let you import the files (if you can't find it hold CMD & press space - then start typing image capture in & it will search for it)
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Thanks Alex - I tried to download it onto my laptop but I could only access photos - the two vids didn't seem to be anywhere.....

I'll try again.

Tony
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lysander wrote:... you'll have to take my word for the fact that the Garratt comfortably lifted a rake of 81[rtr] coal trucks this evening. I think 100 would be easily within its reach.
I should think most owner's layouts will run out of track length before this thing runs out of pulling power. Coaches typically make a more efficient load in terms of both space and avoiding 'stringlining' on curves. A Bach mk1 is typically worth four of their short wheelbase wagons in terms of haulage, if that's any help.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And I have had a play with one now, the property of an old friend. Hadn't had much running, but was as smooth as butter down to dead slow, and very quiet. I estimated it as delivering about 130g drawbar force. That'll be good for over 60 coaches then, or 250 four wheel wagons. Just about adequate...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Bigmet wrote:And I have had a play with one now, the property of an old friend. Hadn't had much running, but was as smooth as butter down to dead slow, and very quiet. I estimated it as delivering about 130g drawbar force. That'll be good for over 60 coaches then, or 250 four wheel wagons. Just about adequate...
The beast ran this afternoon at a club event for about five hours with 90+ behind - didn't miss a beat. It would certainly lift more, but I'm not sure about 250 Bigmet. That said, I'll never find out, not having 250 wagons !

Tony