Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Gateside & Northbridge

Post by Mountain »

Ah. The Bachmann models I have are basically re-chassied centally motored locos. The bufferbeams are on the body.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi all,

Phase 1 of the stairway completed and in position. The original Glasgow Central Low Level stairs had white ceramic tile cladding, of course the smokey sulphurous atmosphere made them dirty very quickly, and I have tried to recreate this. I haven't quite got it right but as this was the third attempt I decided that this will have to do.

Next job is to wire up the signals and lights.
20230817_130928_copy_1024x768.jpg
Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

I hope the lights won't detract from the gloominess which comes out so well as it is!
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, I wired up the lights tonight. Theses were bought online from Kytes Lights and are very good value. The signal has been powered to show a green aspect, but the logic circuit still needs to be done, nothing complicated on this section.
20230821_193847_copy_1024x768.jpg
20230821_193823_copy_1024x768.jpg
For comparison here is the original in steam days
FB_IMG_1692644072214.jpg
Think I might experiment with an additional resistor to dim them down, although they look brighter in the photo than in real life. Note to self, Signal needs a ladder.

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mountain wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:19 pm ...The Bachmann models I have are basically re-chassied centally motored locos. The bufferbeams are on the body.
When it is remembered that these were part of Bachmann's initial foray into RTR OO, and they had designed a complete new centre motor drive for the
Mainline Peak bodies but ignored the relatively minor correction of lopping the incorrect bufferbeams off the body and adding a new (superior) bufferbeam on the bogie moulding, for me it all adds up to 'show them a litle of the good stuff but overall this has to be a cheap market probe to test the water'.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Nice. Very much captures that 'sanctuary of light in the spooky dark' atmosphere.
luckymucklebackit

Hi all.

OK, everyone sitting down? The layout has been completely dismantled!

Why? Well we started having some issues with the downstairs residents, the young couple had been OK but since the summer there have been a series of late night parties and on one occasion we had to call the police and as a result there is a bad atmosphere. It therefore looks very much like another move is on the cards as it doesn't look as though things are going to change. Although this cannot happen until next year due to money being tied up in investments I came to the conclusion that continuing to work on the layout would be pointless, I would just be constructing more that would need to be dismantled.

Have to say that I wasn't totally upset about breaking it up, as I had been starting to worry that the removable section was going to be very difficult to construct due to the number of tracks bridging the joins. There also had been rumbles of discontent from the household authorities! As this section was crucial to the operation of the layout, failure to build rendered the whole project useless operationally.

I think this may draw a line under the whole Gateside and Northbridge saga. Since 1983 there have been about five or six versions of the concept, only 2 being successful. I am thinking that if I get the chance to build another layout it will be much a much simpler plan, possibly just a roundy roundy to watch the trains go by.

Hears hoping it will not be too long.

Cheers all

Jim
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

luckymucklebackit wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:42 pm
Have to say that I wasn't totally upset about breaking it up, as I had been starting to worry that the removable section was going to be very difficult to construct due to the number of tracks bridging the joins. There also had been rumbles of discontent from the household authorities! As this section was crucial to the operation of the layout, failure to build rendered the whole project useless operationally.

I think this may draw a line under the whole Gateside and Northbridge saga. Since 1983 there have been about five or six versions of the concept, only 2 being successful. I am thinking that if I get the chance to build another layout it will be much a much simpler plan, possibly just a roundy roundy to watch the trains go by.

Hears hoping it will not be too long.

Cheers all

Jim
Hi Jim. Sorry to hear all hasn't gone well.

The fact that the removable section was a big challenge would only bring further problems.

As for Gateside & Northbridge; a simpler plan of 'further down the line' could be one to consider. Not too simple though, otherwise you could get bored with it.

Whatever you do, Keep the Dream. Do not let any setback take it away. You have worked so hard for it. The G & N still lives.

David
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry to hear about your woeful tale, don't you hate neighbours (sometimes) hope it won't be to long before we watch the rise of G&N again, your 'Underground' station was peaking my interest, hope you rebuild it. All the best.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Phred

Post by Phred »

I shall miss this thread. Got some good ideas from it. :(
Good luck with your move, or maybe the ratbags downstairs will move first. People!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

luckymucklebackit wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:42 pm... Since 1983 there have been about five or six versions of the concept, only 2 being successful.
Jim, I sympathize with you. I moved out of an apartment to a cottage five years ago. It took me more than six months to stop tip-toeing around my house and getting back to singing Gilbert & Sullivan at the top of my voice.
Yours is the opposite tack - being driven out by noise, but the upheaval is the same.

I would not place any value of "loss" on your evaluation of success at 2 out of 5 (or 6) being successful.

Professional baseball players in North America (we're talking $x,000,000 per year) typically have Earned Run Averages (Edited: I suspect that I mean RBIs (Runs Batted In) but y'all get the idea) of around 0.350, which translates to one-and-a-half out of five, and all they have to do is hit a ball with a bat.

Your two images in this post suggest that you are doing something much more exquisite than hitting a 3"diameter chunk of leather with a 3" diameter piece of softwood.

Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

luckymucklebackit wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:42 pm I think this may draw a line under the whole Gateside and Northbridge saga. Since 1983 there have been about five or six versions of the concept, only 2 being successful.
That’s a shame Jim. Two out of five or six is probably more successful than my failure rate.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

All the best with finding a suitable new home. Given the inagination on display up until now, I feel you will have no trouble devising something satisfactory. A roundy-roundy is great for relaxation, set up a timetable sequence and watch the traffic go by; or it can be operated 'end to end', just because the layout has a circuit doesn't mean you cannot reverse, run around and all that.
ChrisGreaves wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:13 pm ...It took me more than six months to stop tip-toeing around my house and getting back to singing Gilbert & Sullivan at the top of my voice...
Oh now, that's done it.
"A wandering modeller I,
A thing of kits and solvents,
Long coaches with compartments,
And steamy locomotives."
Etc.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Never a good thing to have dismantle so much hard work luckymucklebackit.
I was enjoying following the build.
Onwards and inclines or something to that effect.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

Thanks for all the kind thoughts guys, much appreciated.

Thinks are moving incredibly fast and we have had an offer accepted on a house.....

Loft is full height, approximately 19ft long by 10ft wide, think I might be able to squeeze something into that, so it begins yet again!!!

Jim