Gateside & Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Gateside & Northbridge

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm amazed by the speed your rebuilding your layout, me I'm still mired down by septic tanks etc. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Phred wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:31 pm
luckymucklebackit wrote:
perhaps not quite as derelict!
A 'renovator's delight'! :D
The low level line was renovated and reopened, but only with one Island Platform instead of two. The one that the pillars are on was not reopened and the east end of that platform can be visited as part of the Glasgow Central Tour. I did it a few years ago and it was brilliant. The Westergate Building was constructed in the area shown in the photo, and roughly where the big puddle sits is now the downstairs toilets of a large Wetherspoons called "The Sir John Moore" !!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

luckymucklebackit wrote:

and roughly where the big puddle sits is now the downstairs toilets of a large Wetherspoons called "The Sir John Moore" !!

Jim
Possibly an even bigger puddle then?! (My usual haunt for breakfast when flying in for Model Rail Scotland.)
luckymucklebackit

Ex-Pat wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:38 pm
luckymucklebackit wrote:

and roughly where the big puddle sits is now the downstairs toilets of a large Wetherspoons called "The Sir John Moore" !!

Jim
Possibly an even bigger puddle then?! (My usual haunt for breakfast when flying in for Model Rail Scotland.)
Given the stink that pervades Central Low Level you might be right Ex-Pat!! :lol:

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
luckymucklebackit

Hi all, Mavisbank boards now cut to shape, all columns in place, been trying some buildings in place. All looks good.
FB_IMG_1689507513012.jpg
Jim
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Express Delivery !

I can't keep up.
Looking good though

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Dad-1 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:04 pm Express Delivery !

I can't keep up.
Looking good though

Geoff T.
Cheers Geoff - watch out for a big leap forwards soon, Mrs Luckymucklebackit is going for a four day break with her sister and mother, four full days of layout construction!! WooHoo :lol:

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Oops, was dragged to Garrion Bridge Antique Centre by the better half again, had to have this at a bargain £30, perfect nick and runs well. Only problem is that obviously I model 1960s, option 1 is to reinstate headcode box and apply D190, option 2 is to try and fit an old Mainline peak body to this chassis, anyone tried this, is it possible? EDIT just found out from another source that it is not possible as this is a later Bachmann loco with bogie mounted buffer beam!!
FB_IMG_1689683513568.jpg
Also, I sourced O rings and washers from Ebay, hoped they would enhance to support dowels and make it more like a column
20230718_132335_copy_1024x768.jpg
Cheers

Jim
luckymucklebackit

Hi all,

The stigmial gloom of the low level station starting to take shape now that ballasting has been completed and the platform brick paper applied.
FB_IMG_1691435957544.jpg
FB_IMG_1691435965223.jpg
Lots of small details to be added.

Jim
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Jim,

I love the ingenuity of washers and 'O' rings !!

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Hi all.

Next stage for the low level station is the access stairs. These will form a passage from the low level platform up to Mavisbank.

The skeleton on the structure is a Dapol/Airfix footbridge which needed surgery to fit under the support beam, bit of imagination needed here, or 4mm people very good at limbo dancing :D !
20230808_163239_copy_1024x768.jpg
Stage 2 is to build up plasticard cladding.
20230809_103707_copy_1024x768.jpg
Stage 3 build the box girder pedestrian tunnel to align under the upper island platform and test in place.
20230811_105657_copy_1024x768.jpg
20230811_105736_copy_1024x768.jpg
Finally for now brick plasticard is applied to all surfaces of the stairway support. This was a devil of a job as the plasticard sheets were very brittle, must have been affected by cold during storage, as they were bought 4 years ago.
20230814_094355_copy_1024x768.jpg
The railings were spare from a Hornby bridge and are just being tried in place before painting.

Cheers

Jim
Phred

Post by Phred »

luckymucklebackit wrote:
The railings were spare from a Hornby bridge
Looks like they were made to measure! Love it when the perfect place can be found for scraps of this and that. 8)
luckymucklebackit

Cheers Phred, only had to cut one railing off. Thing I dislike about these Hornby components is that they are made of a soft plastic that solvent type plastic cement does not bond with. Will try superglue to hold them in position.

Jim
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

luckymucklebackit wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:35 pm Oops, was dragged to Garrion Bridge Antique Centre by the better half again, had to have this at a bargain £30, perfect nick and runs well. Only problem is that obviously I model 1960s, option 1 is to reinstate headcode box and apply D190, option 2 is to try and fit an old Mainline peak body to this chassis, anyone tried this, is it possible? EDIT just found out from another source that it is not possible as this is a later Bachmann loco with bogie mounted buffer beam!!

FB_IMG_1689683513568.jpg

Also, I sourced O rings and washers from Ebay, hoped they would enhance to support dowels and make it more like a column

20230718_132335_copy_1024x768.jpg

Cheers

Jim
Is that the Bachmann example of a class 46? I have two early Bachmann class 46's (Just before Bachmann converted the chassis with DCC sockets (I hard wired them to DCC)), and as I purchased two the same (No different versions back then) I saw thesimilarity to my Mainline split headcode class 45, and the only difference to the bodies of those earlier Bachmann models to the Mainline versions was that the Mainline versions had internal plastic strengthening ribs. Even the slots to accept the clips were the same. All I did was to carefully remove the internal slots from the Mainline class 45 and the body was a perfect fit! So if your Bachmann loco happens to be an earlier one from about a decade ago or more, I know that they fit! The very new ones I am not too sure as I did read somewhere that they had been re-tooled. What they improved I don't know (As lets face it, even the Mainline versions are pretty highly detailed), but as long as they did not alter the chassis structure housing the Mainline bodies should fit providing one has removed their internal strengthening ribs.
The spare Bachmann body was fine on the old Mainline chassis so my spare loco was sold at a very attractive price to a friend to provide an extra locomotive for his fleet (I did inform him of the Mainline chassis).
luckymucklebackit

Mountain wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:30 pm
Is that the Bachmann example of a class 46? I have two early Bachmann class 46's (Just before Bachmann converted the chassis with DCC sockets (I hard wired them to DCC)), and as I purchased two the same (No different versions back then) I saw thesimilarity to my Mainline split headcode class 45, and the only difference to the bodies of those earlier Bachmann models to the Mainline versions was that the Mainline versions had internal plastic strengthening ribs. Even the slots to accept the clips were the same. All I did was to carefully remove the internal slots from the Mainline class 45 and the body was a perfect fit! So if your Bachmann loco happens to be an earlier one from about a decade ago or more, I know that they fit! The very new ones I am not too sure as I did read somewhere that they had been re-tooled. What they improved I don't know (As lets face it, even the Mainline versions are pretty highly detailed), but as long as they did not alter the chassis structure housing the Mainline bodies should fit providing one has removed their internal strengthening ribs.
The spare Bachmann body was fine on the old Mainline chassis so my spare loco was sold at a very attractive price to a friend to provide an extra locomotive for his fleet (I did inform him of the Mainline chassis).
Hi Mountain, good to see you are back on the Forum. As I mentioned in the edit to my previous post I found out from another source that it is not possible to fit the old Mainline body to this particular model as this is a later Bachmann loco with bogie mounted buffer beam, the Mainline body had the buffers inaccurately mounted on the body. I am quite happy to renumber the loco back into the old format. Actually the fleet has expanded so much I think I have enough locos to run in two different time frames now so no big deal

Cheers

Jim