Long grass on embankments

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
crab

Long grass on embankments

Post by crab »

Can anyone suggest a realistic way to cover large embankment areas with long grass? Looking at old photos the embankments were usually covered in long grass from a fence at the top of the slope down to the track. The only grass mats I've seen look too thinly grassed, plus when the mat is applied to a 30 or 40 degree slope, the grass isn't going to be vertical anymore! I need to cover about 10 metres of embankment so I want it to look good.

Cheers
Crab
Zunnan

Re: Long grass on embankments

Post by Zunnan »

The cheapest way is probably hanging basket liner, although I've seen much better results by using buff/tan coloured teddy bear fur that has been patchily dyed light green and then roughly brushed and clumped and then fixed with strong hairspray. The other alternative is to use static grass, but if you buy a proper applicator the cost can be a bit on the high side.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
b308

Post by b308 »

I'd have thought that or old car/carpet underlay...

Barry Norman did a superb book on Landscape Modelling which suggests plenty of other ways, and also why each patch of grass or field is "different" despite them all being "grass"... Its called "Landscape Modelling" published by Wild Swan...
crab

Post by crab »

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your comments. I think I will try a homemade static grass dispenser as it seems the most realistic.
Cheers
crab
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Try this, I found it on another form last night.

http://shortlinemodelers.com/forum/grass-weeds-primer
All Aboooooard !!
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

The Barry Norman method is dyed surgical lint which is extremely effective. Basically you glue it furry side down, wait for it to dry then rip the backing off and titivate it a bit with airbrush, suede brush and scatter etc. The trouble is finding surgical lint these days as it's out of favour as a wound dressing.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
gppsoftware

Post by gppsoftware »

I used Heki static grass - the longer type - to achieve this effect very successfully.

Graham Plowman
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

I use static grass and one of the cheap 'puffer bottles' (around £4.25).

Hopefully pictures speak for themselves ... :)
The first two show an embankment which has bare patches where rain has run down and eroded the surface. It still needs some low-level bushes though.

This last picture shows some lawns where I used light and dark grasses and a toothbrush to brush them in opposite directions to give that 'recently mowed garden lawn' effect.

So hopefully those demonstrate you can do quite well on a budget :)
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

I like your work SouthernBoy. The walking path to the shed along the top of the embankment in particular is a very nice touch. Like the natural water fall erosion, it really contributes to what will be a resultant 'living' layout look when all finished. Inspiration and ideas to imitate there.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Thanks Bigglesof266: Since those pictures I've narrowed the path quite a bit following suggestions it looked a little too wide for a footpath (it was nearly as wide as a car, so more like a country road :shock: ). Funny how photos can suddenly give you a whole new perspective on your work.
crab

Post by crab »

Thanks everyone for your ideas and sorry for the delay in acknowledging them! I might try the static grass applied in cigars or make my own static dispenser.

Cheers
Crab