DJH K8 Caledonian 439 0-4-4 Kit Build

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Dad-1

Re: DJH K8 Caledonian 439 0-4-4 Kit Build

Post by Dad-1 »

First thanks to stuartp, and others,

Caley coaches do list lubricators, although by the website it looked like they may be out of stock. I've sent an email and await developments.

I've not been doing much as I'm waiting for the wheel & axle sets as well as that replacement cab front.
What I have done is try to slide the motor gearbox assembly into the chassis.
It wouldn't fit - nothing serious, but the gearbox casing is held together by clock maker size screws, locating into threaded casing wall.
These screws protrude under a mm, but foul enough to prevent fitting. Simple to delicately file the ends of just one screw after
which it dropped into place.
Due to changes since original design the new motor & gearbox asembly requires another 'mod'. This is to cut away part of the boiler underside.
The change requires the opening up of the lower boiler casting for the revised motor assembly.
I've not started this yet simply because of waiting for those other parts which I hope may start arriving this week.

I've also ordered hooks and screw couplings for the buffer beams an these are not included.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I've not done much until this evening.
My wheels and axles arrived yesterday, and today the flywheels plus other odds and ends.

I've reamed out the axle holes (bearings) to give a tight but free movement. The main wheels needed a gentle filing to give a lead in to the square axle ends, without which I'd never have got them on. Coupling rods added to see if the chassis is square, hence the mirror, and runs smoothly. All seems fine.

I fear I'll have to use the smaller flywheel - although the larger one clears inside the boiler by around 0.75 mm !! It may not all sit 100% square !!

Here is roughly the line to which the boiler will need trimming - the castings dating from earlier motor and gearbox assemblies where the forward hole was for the worm drive to fit.

Before I can permanently build the chassis I have to paint all wheels Caledonian Blue and black paint the chassis.

Geoff T.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Geoff, I am, as ever, amazed at your progress and determination, I have not been here very much over the past few weeks and I didn't understand previously what you were talking about (thought it was plans for down the track).
But now i see it was happening and how!
This is a great loco choice and I do not understand why we don't have it RTR because it so obviously a great modeling proposition with a real life example for measuring plus several livery variants. Anyway I wish you well in your endeavours which I watch with interest. I am sure they will be well worth our watching.
BTW I did go to Pendon again (and Didcot last weekend)
I can only say,
you MUST very soon!
A visit could only inspire you further (and make us drool more)
regards
rocketman
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

This all takes time and I'm not in a hurry. Here's the enlarged boiler slot needed to clear the now standard motor/gearbx for this kit.

In addition to that, but partially because the gerarbox frame fouls the boiler mounting when tipped slightly I had to file quite deeply
to allow the gearbox & motor to tip forward a smidgen in the hope I can fit the larger of my two flywheels.

I've also found that I have a problem in that the motor plate extends beyond the footplate hole. This would prevent a finished chassis
from fitting in, I have now to decide on filing away the white metal, or taking the mm plus from the end of that brass motor plate.
I think I'll take it off the brass because the extra length is of no use.

All this modifying is due to the current motor & gearbox assembly, the quality of the motor is I hope worth the extra effort.

Nobody has pointed out a special screwdriver is needed to screw the wheel securing collars in, I'm now about to order one
a picture will be added when I have it.

Ahh rocketman, I also think this should have been covered by a major RTR manufacturer. Why did Hornby do ANOTHER Tornado
when this with it's choice of Caledonian, LMS and BR liveries would have offered a nice exclusive product in their range.
Still I now hope they don't make one, or all this effort would be a waste !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Little more has beeen done due to decorating & helping No.2 sons packing for his move this weekend.

Today I did venture out to my shed for the Dremel and trimmed the brass chassis. This now can be built up to running status
and the assembled unit will slip into the footplate.
I'm very anxious that this works out OK, and mentally I'm almost afraid to progress in case there's something I've done wrong !

Markits have Romford Screwdrivers so will be purchasing.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Just a touch more before I go out tonight.

Due to my flywheel being behind the centre line of the second driving wheel axle I'll have made the model somewhat more tail heavy that the original
design. To try and counteract this I'm looking at adding 30 - 40 grammes as far up front as I can. Already out of sight are 2 x 5 gram weights in the
front of the water tanks. All just propped in place - don't shake the table !!
I've also found the chimney and dome drilling dimples off centre in comparison to the boiler locating screw holding the chassis, boiler saddle and boiler together. Not a real problem as I'm checking everything before it's permanently fixed in place. In fact just toying with all the parts is beneficial in understanding the entire model build-up. Also there's not going to be much more I can do until I either get that replacement part, or told they can't help and have to modify that incorrect cab front.

Geoff T.
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

looking good geoff, ive always loved these locos, wish i had seen 419 before she was withdrawn, she looked great in br black crossing the viaduct near birkhill. hope to see her again soon!
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Geoff, passing one of the charity shops in the village the other day I noticed in the window a large pictorial "The Illustrated History of British Steam Railways. Nipped in and bought it.

Here is a pic from withing (sorry about the page fold) its not the 0-4-4 but does show those oilers again and some more lining detail for your perusal.

The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Everybody,

Well I said it was a waiting game ..... Yesterday a small packet arrived in the mail from DJH
These photos show why I was reluctant to use the duplicate cab rear spectacle plate. I had started marking ready for drilling boiler support
pin holes, but the correct part is so much better.

Although I'm very busy at present including a disaster of a burst cold water pipe above the kitchen ceiling I did spend a little time this evening
superglueing the cab sides, spectacle plates and bunker rear together. I now have to start painting as serious construction is getting very near.
The other components still just propped in place which helps identify any small adjustments needed.

I fear I'll not be getting much done this next week, but I now have no excuse for not progressing this further.

Geoff T.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Looks great Geoff certainly going together nicely when the right parts are around :D
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Matt,

I'm so slow in comparison to yourself !
This has been a bad week for me anyway, decorating a house that's supposed to be up for rent at the end of this month as well as finishing off our bathroom, let alone getting the small car new tyres, MOT, insurance and on monday road tax !!

Still last evening I decided to make the brake rodding secure. It would seem the kit wire was to be glued in place using miniscule dimples in the 4 white metal castings. I decided this would fall out at the first handling and have drilled right through so the wire will never fall out !! In fact even if a brake came adrift from the chassis it would still be dangling on the other side - I hope ? My eyes hurt using 0.40 mm drills !!

Probably next week before I can do more.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

A little time spent with superglue !
Rather than propped together this much is now glued with attention being given to join lines to blend in and remove any unsightly gaps.

This part will be slow progress, particularly while I work out how I can spray the wheels blue without getting paint on the tyres and flanges, in the hub centre, and on the rim backs where pickups have to rub. I can't brush paint as the colour I want is only available in a Halfords spray can !!

Geoff T.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Maskol might be a good choice or very careful masking with tape

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/pr ... s_id=38198
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Managed to get some time for working this again,

Time to add the tank filler caps and chimney. My first blow of blue paint at the end of last week went rather rough and dull
I think it may have been too cold and damp as well as left in the garage to dry before handling.

Trying to keep all the weight forward I replaced the kits metal bunker blanking plate with a light plastic replacement.

Then another spray, this time I brought it back indoors after spraying, but touched the bunker rear that'll now need rubbing down and re-painting.

At least it now looks shiny enough. I need to try & find what colour the cab interior was, I've heard that they were often a cream to lighten the very dark interior, although that got dirty quite quickly ? I also need to order my white metal crew figures.
Now I have to return to the running chassis to see where the DCC decoder will sit, sort out the wiring routes to clear all moving parts. Make up pickup wipers for wheel backs including the bogie (if I can do it?)
Still quite a way to go, but I'm in no hurry.

Geoff T.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Do you want to do my Gauge 1 Deltic? Ive had it 2 years and I'm scared of it lol.... I keep opening the box and laying all the parts on the table, reading the instructions then quickly putting it all back in the box again :oops:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller