BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mattmay05

Re: BMR Workbench.

Post by mattmay05 »

Bufferstop wrote:I think there's a point beyond which it's difficult to go on with the one line likes and greats etc. You've established your level of excellence in most peoples minds. There will always be the moaners and disparagers, but I think they would soon get put in their place if they tried it here. We have one of the most fair minded group of people it's possible to meet, but being of the fair minded persuasion they don't go overboard in shouting their praises, the sort of person from whom a nod of the head is a great compliment. So take a few nods you've earned it.
Indeed, most are honest and fair in comments, and I appreciate the constructive criticism when their is any, you do get the odd person who likes to put people down who are most likely armchair critics like the chap on the Dapol group, I suspect he's not even a modeller, more of a keyboard warrior.
Some of my work is now in magazines which is nice, and helps others try different things or see some things that they might not be aware of. In a free magazine "The railway magazine guide to modelling" been some small modelling projects, and I think Decembers? or January there's a long boring article about making your own transfers.
And in Hornby mag probably the layouts last appearance as its pretty much shot now, but shows off some of the newer stock, so a nice send off in a way.

There's 2 - 3 new 3D prints which are next to go forward for test prints, LNWR, and a revised GN Saloon, plus I have started looking at helping with those with Mazak rot, by using the Bulleid build seen on here to use 3D prints as casting masters so that's nice too.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

flying scotsman123 wrote:
mattmay05 wrote: This was my first brass kit, I built the coach and chassis very quickly but stopped for a long time before restarting last year, having attempted a different way of lining after reading the LBSC circle which was challenging. But final completed.
Sorry to come back to this, but I suspect the wonderment of the pictures distracted me when you originally posted. Any chance you could elucidate on this lining technique please, or point me to somewhere that does? Still not sure if I'll line my NSR coaches, but I've an open mind!
Errr think I used a pen... not a bow pen, it was one of those Gel writing pens and just trying to angle it to catch the edge of it. But now I would probably use a bow pen. One day I will have to do it again with the Brake which I may order in March depending on cash.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

mattmay05 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
mattmay05 wrote: This was my first brass kit, I built the coach and chassis very quickly but stopped for a long time before restarting last year, having attempted a different way of lining after reading the LBSC circle which was challenging. But final completed.
Sorry to come back to this, but I suspect the wonderment of the pictures distracted me when you originally posted. Any chance you could elucidate on this lining technique please, or point me to somewhere that does? Still not sure if I'll line my NSR coaches, but I've an open mind!
Errr think I used a pen... not a bow pen, it was one of those Gel writing pens and just trying to angle it to catch the edge of it. But now I would probably use a bow pen. One day I will have to do it again with the Brake which I may order in March depending on cash.
Mm, interesting, thanks for that. It's certainly cheaper to experiment with a gel pen than it is to meaningfully (i.e. a decent one) try a bowpen at any rate.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Atso

Post by Atso »

Nice article in Hornby Magazine this month Matt. Well done and lovely, inspirational, photographs! 8) 8) 8)
Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks Steve, yes Trevor did a great job on the photo's, shame I haven't done much work on anything recently as it's all research based, especially because I have absolutely no money at all currently which makes modelling difficult.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Haven't posted in a while, been very busy with model repairs from my local model shop, and also customer projects.

However I have managed to find some time to start a couple, a 3D print of the LNWR observation car, and the one I wanted most of all was the LBSC Directors Saloon, with thanks to the guys at the Bluebell railway, and the carriage and wagon works they have managed to get my project off the drawing board.
Locating 4mm kit from Worsley works, I say kit it was more of a starting base, 2 sides, 2 ends, and a floor that was it, research lasted 2 months, finding drawings which didn't exist and excellent photo's from Mike the photographer at the Bluebell who has been a saviour and Kuristo who is putting together a proposition to restore it in the future were extremely helpful.

Sourcing parts for this kit was fun... as most didn't exists so modification and scratch building are required.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Looking forward to seeing both the 12" and 4mm versions in action Matt, a superb vehicle.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks Scotsman
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

mattmay05 wrote:Haven't posted in a while, been very busy with model repairs from my local model shop, and also customer projects.

However I have managed to find some time to start a couple, a 3D print of the LNWR observation car, and the one I wanted most of all was the LBSC Directors Saloon, with thanks to the guys at the Bluebell railway, and the carriage and wagon works they have managed to get my project off the drawing board.
Locating 4mm kit from Worsley works, I say kit it was more of a starting base, 2 sides, 2 ends, and a floor that was it, research lasted 2 months, finding drawings which didn't exist and excellent photo's from Mike the photographer at the Bluebell who has been a saviour and Kuristo who is putting together a proposition to restore it in the future were extremely helpful.

Sourcing parts for this kit was fun... as most didn't exists so modification and scratch building are required.

This looks fantastic Matt! I've been following the build on RMWeb, and it's encouraged me to save up for a kit myself. How are you thinking of finishing it?
It must be nice to see your own work in magazines, too; I've always enjoyed your projects and tutorials as I find them actually achievable for a modeller of any skill level, unlike some which feature more routinely in magazines.

Keep up the amazing work!

- Alex
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you Alex, too kind, however I haven't been on RM web for sometime, I kind of forget about it, although good place to boost Youtube views I must admit, I cannot remember the last time I posted on workbench topics there.

Finishing well its just reached that point, first part is clean it, then a few coats of primer, white for the roof which will be the finial colour, then a grey for the main body and chassis, then main colour brown for the body, black for the chassis, and then lining out, varnish, glaze, and should be all... although that's a few months away.

Its odd to see my layout in magazines, as for this type of thing, I do get good comments saying its a nice balance between words and pictures, so the balance and my way seems to be good direction, I think personally anything is possible as long as you put your mind to it, start off simple and build up to it, its a shame I feel quite a few are put off by it, I feel model shops could help this by running modelling evenings where people pay for a kit, paint and transfers and they get shown how to build it.... they can take that home as well as that skill and carry on.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I doubt I will ever attempt a brass model, I have no patience and my heart would not be in it (especially at the price), doing my car hydraulic jack did my head in :x . It's not that I don't have the skill, it's just that I don't have the will to spend the time, when I have other builds that interest me much more. It does not stop me being enamoured by other people's efforts.
In fact it is very useful seeing the techniques applied to transfer to other projects.
I too think workshops might be readily subscribed too, probably best run by model clubs, always better to see something first hand rather than in 2D and even better if invited to have a go. They do them at shows, but there are more pertinent things to look at there , than loose two hours in a 1 to 1, which would feel imposing on the demonstrator.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thanks for the comment, yes patients is key but also doing some but not too much in a day, I spend an hour or 2 per day on this and the LNWR coach also, both at the painting and priming stage. Balance is really key not to get fed up with it or you spend so long in it that something will go wrong when you start getting tired of it.

With this build I am not really showing all of it, as its very difficult to show, so some of that I have done over on YouTube, as its easier showing on video or one to one. I do find some clubs do want to pass on the skills, but some don't, I had to do this self taught learn by mistakes and what I can do better next time. When I do go to a club, sadly I'm not a member of one down here sadly, so I don't get out and about too much or show what I am doing or how to do it. Personally I don't mind one on one, wish there was more of it, most who do those sort of things at exhibitions I feel sorry for them as there's usually no one there... possibly not wanting to impose on the demonstrator.
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

mattmay05 wrote:its a shame I feel quite a few are put off by it, I feel model shops could help this by running modelling evenings where people pay for a kit, paint and transfers and they get shown how to build it.... they can take that home as well as that skill and carry on.
This is something my model club are looking at currently; as a member of the committee I'm pushing to try and hold workshops both for the members and the public (say £2.50 for an evening) and we'll be practicing soldering, painting, track-laying, scenic work and so on. There are only three members of the club who are below the age of thirty (myself included) and we've possibly got skills that the older members don't possess, and vice versa, hence the suggestion.

If it were a model shop doing it, I'd commend them for doing so. Sadly I think high street shops have reached such few numbers it wouldn't be economically viable anymore. Though, if I were the proprietor of a model shop, I would strive to provide educational services as well as merely supplying components and RTR- anything I could help with, I would (free or for a small fee, dependent on the task).

I like the sound of the livery for the carriage (always carriages on the Brighton!), I imagine if/when I build one myself I'd finish it in the final LBSC livery, to fit my time period, although I'd need to look into the car's history more and see when it received the end shrouds for corridor connecting.

- Alex
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

I see, for us its very much the other way around... we tried skills evenings, so weathering, loco kits, buildings scenery... but it just died out an no one bothered, it was very much older generation not wanting to do any how too's Sadly for me over 30 now, and the younger generation are just not interested they just want to run their trains.

Absolutely, I think the era of the straight forward model shop is very much sadly dead... and they need to do more, sadly some do not have the room to do more like courses ect...but it would certainly work to learn and sell some items as well.

Yes going by what the Bluebell want to do, then it's the right way to go, should be fun lining that one out, umber brown with gold lining.... another Stroudley coach next on the list as well as an experimental loco.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

The LBSC Directors saloon is now looking a bit more like a coach, sadly much lining now lies ahead... so depressing... so this is either transfers or Bow pen, not quite decided yet, it must be lined out in Gold... and a lot of it.

The LNWR observation car has also entered paint, and now awaiting the lining part, I am a little stuck on paint due to postage and courier postage rates, £20 postage for a small pot of paint.. madness...