Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lancastrian

Re: Wordsworth Card Kits - FREE downloads

Post by Lancastrian »

Many Thanks Nick, I have been looking at that, and also the scaling.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

PDF coding is based on the Postscript printer language, it includes at least two ways for handling scaling. Postscript was a plain language printer driver so you could read the output and work out which method had been used where. PDF is encrypted mainly to stop copyright theft so unless you have the original dimensions it's difficult to get the scaling correct, especially as it does fit to page and a host of other settings to make printed documents look pretty. Best bet is to print one and see how much you need to enlarge or reduce it. If your printer offers the choice use the "system dialogue" not the PDF one, it will give you better control of the output, PDF sometimes tries too hard to "help" you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

I think what I will do, is a screen print and then I can experiment with it as an image and when it looks right, print it.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Lancastrian wrote:I think what I will do, is a screen print and then I can experiment with it as an image and when it looks right, print it.
On checking I have noticed that when printing PDF's amongst the options is to set a custom scale, so it's just a case of calculating the correct scale and setting it. Excel here I come and this is what I got 0.513513514. This is for UK ratio of 1:148.
ColHut

Post by ColHut »

How common were the overhanging corners on Edwarian/Victorian corner stores or terraces? There are certainly some, others seem to have a small 45 degree face above the door. Perhaps both would be an option?

regards
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Happy Chrristmas Troopers,

This will be my last update post this side of Christmas. Just gone onto the website is the new Corner Pub Building "The Fying Dutchman", so with thiss addition we have both corners covered ready to create a very good looking town scene.

I've been working on my Low relief Bonded Warehouse & have decided a complete rethink is now in order on this kit as it just seemed to be lacking something, so starting fresh means I'm behind the eight ball now as I really need this kit so I can complete the left corner side of my own layout.

I have a few days off over Christmas so I hoope to spend most of my spare hobby time on the laptop rather than in the loft.

Just in case no more posts I'd like to than everyone for your support & hope you all have a wonderful Christmas & a Happy New Year.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
argent

Post by argent »

And a very happy Christmas to too Mike and thankyou for the prezzie of the shop and pub.

Nick
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troopers,

Well we're into 2019 & I thought I'd share a few photo's showing my progress on the Low relief Bonded Warehouse kit. I'm actually at the stage of doing the test build now & with the sections I have built so far only managed a dry test fit so you'll have to forgive the bull dog clips holding thingss together.

So lets take a peek....

We have the loading bay area & platform

I've also done an optional version where the doors will be open showing a simulated interior.

The first side wall section now tested for visual effect.

Trying to give the building so depth around the window area.

Still quite a few more sections to build & it is modular so the kit will just duplicate so it can be made longer by addding a second section.

I'm also doing so Youtube videos called "Lets build a card kit", the pilot episode showing the portacabin kit went down well. The next episode was building the platform sections, this was requested by many veiwers. I'd like to keep this new theme running so hopefully once a month there should be a new video. This could be an old kit already on the website, or it could be a new build.

Well I've been given a surprise day off work so I'm going to complete some steps for my platform sections I'm using here at Wordsworth rather than ramp ends, you never know but I might actually turn these into a kit so others can use this optional extra.

Until next time, happy card kit building.
Mike.
ianb26

Post by ianb26 »

Hi Mike,

Interesting kit. Will have to consider this one sometime down the track.

Quick question re St Cuthberts Church. The wall pattern on the Lychgate walls, is it one of your regular brick papers or a special one. The reason I'm asking this is that I want to complete a wall around the church, and I would like to use the same pattern if possible. I can't seem to match the brick/stone wall pattern with your brick paper samples. Also the pattern for capping stones.

My layout is HO so I am printing at 87%.

Hoping you can help me.

Ian
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi All you Card Troopers,

Some good news, two new small kits should be available on my website very soon. First up in todays preview is the platform end ramp being replaced by some platform end steps, designed to fit either end & have the downward opeing bi directional.

Quickly following on the heals of the platform end steps comes the village sub station building, you know what I mean, that tiny square brick struction seen dotted area housing estates.

Both kits very easy to construct, so let talk lets see.....

Platform end steps replacing any platform ramp section.

New housing estate electrical sub station.

Hope you like these new offerings, I certainly do as I need them for my own layout Wordsworth. Don't worry as I'm still working on my low relief bonded warehouse kit, not far from gluing everything together to form the first built section which can then be tested on Wordsworth layout.

Until next time.
Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Card Troopers,

Sorry for the slow uploads again but we've justed started another large garden project which is years over due. We're busy turning a bricked built coal house into a useful summer seating area, the goings been tough but we've got the old structure down to a level we want our new walls so we can now start the rebuild.

Anyway today I'm here to tell you the long awaited mini glue bottle stand is availble to download in kit form, it's been jazzed up so it's not only functional but looks pretty too.

I hope you enjoy this new freebie & hot on the tails of this will be a gate keepers cottage kit, I'm in the process of making a youtube video in my "Lets build a card kit" series.

So lets see the mini glue stand shall we....

Rather than plain card I've dressed this one in lovely brick paper.

Added some detailing such as man covers & drains, now it will look pretty on your work bench.

I'd like to think at some point I might get into the loft & do some modelling on my layout, I've nearly forgotten what it looks like.

Cheers,
Mike.
Doghouse

Post by Doghouse »

Hi Mike,

Will the Low relief Bonded Warehouse be available for download before or after the Gate Keepers Cottage?

Brian
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troopers,

Sorry for my absence but as everything that can go wrong has. I'm writing this short update via my android phone.

As you are aware my pc packed in about 2 years ago or more, since then I've been using my wife's aging laptop which was struggling with YouTube videos but also the larger kits in Corel draw.

Well what can I say but that has since packed in with the great blue screen of death. I get it up & running but it's just not stable to be reliable so I've given up.

I'm on the look out for a replacement but it may be some time before funds are available. Looking for an i7 hex core laptop with a 17.3" screen. I hope this should cope nicely with hd video & the biggest kits you can possibly design.

In the meantime I'm busy with a major garden project building an outside porch. Few more weekends & I think we'll have cracked it & will make a nice new outside seating area.

Work in the loft ground to a halt & my next project will be have a good clear out & tidy up. It's become a junk storage area at the moment so I can't even run trains or work on the layout.

Regards kits, I can't complete the gate keepers cottage as it's missing it's roof, and my low relief warehouse is missing many parts as I only printed off the walls & loading platform. All in all I'm pretty much stuck when it comes to modelling.

I have some good news, my birthday was a few weeks back & got some great modelling presents from my wife, plus my son & daughter came through with some super smaller detailing bits.

I'll leave you hanging on that note & hope I can narrow my laptop choice down to the right model. So far I'm looking at ASUS rog or the Acer Nitro / Preditor.

Really hope to have something by end of August, or sooner if possible.

Cheers Mike
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

All that work on the garden should count for some brownie points once you start looking for modelling time. Laptops can start to get a bit expensive once you start looking for decent screen sizes. My i7 desktop is the only one left now, were using a trio of Lenovo Yogas, hooked up to, 23" flat screens, they cost but the office is a more pleasant place without all the fans running all day. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hip hip hurrah,

I took the plunge & got myself the i5 version of the Acer Predator halos 300 with 17.3" screen. I just could afford the i7 as I really wanted.

Came on Monday & it's being a real pig to set up. I'm a reluctant Windows 10 fan as I liked XP & when that went the way of the dodo I opted for Windows 7 rather than 10.

So still to say I'm in the setup stage, getting everything how I want it. First issue I've been struggling is getting Windows 10 to recognise & allow access to my Western Digital my cloud & my book network drives. 2 & half days later finally made progress.

I can now get all my data copied back onto my new laptop ready for working. Forgot these new laptops don't come with built in DVD drives, so rushed out yesterday for a usb external version by ASUS.

Got Corel draw X5 installed ok, PowerDirector 16, webplus x5 so I'm nearly their.

Catch you all later.
Mike