retro fit digital sound.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
gromit54
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 11:02 am
Location: Bradford

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby gromit54 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Well, plenty to think about their then :D Thanks for all your comments, i'll let you know how i get on :)
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!

SillyWilly
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby SillyWilly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Gents,

Having only just returned from Holiday, I hope you guys are still monitoring this thread!
If I may ask a question Graham, am I correct in thinking then that the bass reflex speaker handles the bass ( which would seem obvious) and a 23mm round handles the higher frequencies that the latter dosnt?


James

User avatar
cmeonthemove
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:50 pm

You might want to have a look at this person's videos:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo#p/u

These have the best sound output I've heard to date. These use the bass reflex system.

gppsoftware
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby gppsoftware » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:47 pm

SillyWilly wrote:Hi Gents,

Having only just returned from Holiday, I hope you guys are still monitoring this thread!
If I may ask a question Graham, am I correct in thinking then that the bass reflex speaker handles the bass ( which would seem obvious) and a 23mm round handles the higher frequencies that the latter dosnt?


James


James,

Yes, that is correct.

Graham

gppsoftware
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby gppsoftware » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:05 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:You might want to have a look at this person's videos:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo#p/u

These have the best sound output I've heard to date. These use the bass reflex system.


I have to say, I do like his HST and 47. Both are very good.
So far, the most reallistic HST I have come across is the Olivia's version, probably because (I believe) Neil is an ex-HST driver.
I undertook a major conversion project on my Lima HST here: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/DCC%20Sound/DCCSoundHST.aspx
It currently has the Howes HST sound (YouTube imminent), but, while very good, it lacks the characterstic 'hum' and jet sound of a Valenta HST. The Olivia's version has these sounds. I will upload a YouTube once package is installed.

Lego's 47 is extremely good and the operation adds to the overall reallism. The problem with the Bachmann 47 (which I have) is that like many SWD packages, it incorrectly idles at times when the engine should be revving hard. Lego has got this correct and it sounds really good.
This is of course, what one can achieve oneself with access to suitable recordings. Unfortunately, most people aren't that lucky! If I had access to decent recordings, I'd be doing it myself as well!

Graham Plowman

Martin71
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby Martin71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 am

Hi

I must say that his class 47 is excellent and he makes a very good point about inertia. I think the horn is brilliant, love it. Having never heard any of these locos in real life its hard for me to say but I do really like it and his other projects are fantastic too.

I think its time for me to build my own custom Bass reflex speaker, and throw it up on the crow to see if I can get lower frequencies. My hearing is not the best, so what I might do is build 2 of the same locos 1 with and 1 without and see if you guys can tell the difference as I doubt I will. I tested them and I was not happy but in saying that I admit I may be wrong

I thinking Class 37 as thats got a nice lumpy sound to it or what your suggestions for a trial. Both locos with be duplicated in every way except for the speaker/s

This is on youtube a class 47 with sound in n scale. Just goes to show what can be achieved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik35cxxH2mE

Cheers

Martin

gppsoftware
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am

Re: retro fit digital sound.

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 am

Martin71 wrote:Hi

I must say that his class 47 is excellent and he makes a very good point about inertia. I think the horn is brilliant, love it. Having never heard any of these locos in real life its hard for me to say but I do really like it and his other projects are fantastic too.

I think its time for me to build my own custom Bass reflex speaker, and throw it up on the crow to see if I can get lower frequencies. My hearing is not the best, so what I might do is build 2 of the same locos 1 with and 1 without and see if you guys can tell the difference as I doubt I will. I tested them and I was not happy but in saying that I admit I may be wrong
....
Cheers

Martin


Ian (legomanbiffo) does exactly that - makes his own sound chambers. I'm in the process of experimenting with this as well, using the cavity of a loco body, completely sealed as a baffle box. This should give considerable improvements.

Graham Plowman


Return to “DCC Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests