Dean Sidings "Killin Pug" conversion set.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
slackbladder

Re: Dean Sidings "Killin Pug" conversion set.

Post by slackbladder »

Cracking job Geoff. You once told me your eyes were worse than mine (painting rails I think) jeeees how on earth do you handle these things? :D
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Slackers,

Everything is getting dim ...... and it's always said the memory fades first ...... and I now have one big problem.
I've lost the cab floor and fire box front ..... had to remove before I masked the cab before spraying. I have no idea where I put it, have looked in all the most likely places and now this morning will have to tidy and thoroughly search the garage.
Before I start that here is the Killin - first close up in revealing flash. I hope you can see the cut off motor retaining spring to assist in fitting the body. I'm also going to brush paint blue all that is seen below the saddle tank in an attempt to blend into the background.

With the body resting on it now pulls this 5 wagon train without wheel slip and in the speed band I want to run it, roughly the 8 - 15 mph range.

I've started painting the crew having removed the large block that they stood on, as well as drilling up one leg on each and driving in a short length of brass wire which will be glued into a suitable hole in the cab floor - IF ever found !!

So wish me luck - an hour or two in dark corners of the garage !!

Geoff T.
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Best of luck me old mucker.. Are the lost pieces not in one of your pockets? I ask because that's where I sometimes put small parts then forget where they are. You say the motor retainer spring is now cut! so is the motor just resting in the cradle or will the body hold it still when fixed? (sorry if these are naff daft questions) How about instead of blue painting all below and under the saddle matt sort of grubby black?

I love this project Geoff as indeed all of yours, I have a spare 0-4-0 chassis and motor I have been toying with an idea to do something like this with. I would need to redo the pickups however because I robbed them to fit in that wagon behind my Lion 101 (remember that?)

Looking forward to a little vid of pug running. (or have you already done one?) ....."toddles off to check" :)
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Slackers,

Those motor clips ..... the large (relative term !) rounded ends tend to foul when working with Pug bodies and in particular this conversion. Apart from leaving a sharper point on which to stab ones finger their removal causes me no difficulty in re-fixing the clip. Having the clip in place is essential to hold the worm drive against it's mating cog, as long as there's the locking bend still there no problems.
Here's an uncut clip on GWR 105 which is about to receive a DCC chip tomorrow.

I've spent a couple of days searching for my missing part with no success. It's MKMRS club night tonight, the last possible place it could be, so if it's not there I'll have to write to Dean Sidings to see if he can supply a replacement part - failing that I may have to buy a second kit and using the kit part scratch build as near a replacement as I can ? Shame as basically the kit has been very easy - just chassis sorting consuming most of the time expended, but it ain't no good if the running's crap !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Happy .... Happy .... HAPPY .......

Nothing at MKMRS Club, although I found some solder I'd left there .....
Then one final idea - so with torch in hand I looked under the Jag's driver's seat and there it was, black painted on a black carpet, deep in dark shade !!
As I tend to use that car for longer journeys I didn't think I would have had it in there - but remember the Matiz broke, so for just one night I'd used it to the railway club meeting.

Right, now I can dry brush the copper piping, get the crew on, then stick safely in place !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Now found I must get on before I loose anything else, like my sanity ?

Here's the cab interior with both crew members facing the firebox. dry brushing of pipework has improved the look, nothing too special as you won't see clearly when inside the cab. I may just put some rusty colour on the grate doors. Note the crew feet are no longer on the big block of white metal as seen in my posting of 2nd October, the time spent sawing & filing easily repaid by the improved look.

Also added decoders to a Dapol 14XX, Hornby '105' 0-4-0 and replaced the failing decoder in my Caledonian Pug ..... great day so far !!

Geoff T.
slackbladder

Post by slackbladder »

Top stuff Geoff, me? oh I have just made a set of bookshelves. Should get them stained tomorrow. :wink:
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

They both need haircuts :D

Top job though 8)
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hair cuts indeed !! Surprised they've not pulled it out in frustration .....

Well at least the chassis runs in both direction without derailing my added pony wheels. I did have to remove a little more of the original brake pipe mouldings to improve the available sideways movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRG9q3Z24M

I still suffer some stall problems as clearly seen here, in fact it performs better pulling forwards rather than tender first, but it all has to be cured.

You may notice above the worm gear there is a large void. I intend packing more lead in here because I believe the balance needs added forward weight. I also want to add an extended inner wall of thin plasticard to the saddle tank to cure the look through effect.

As to finishing the basic model there is little to do, just some detail painting and the the search ....... I want white/black/white lining decals as opposed to just white. These are supposed to have been done by HMRS as used on certain blue painted BR locomotives, but I can't find on their website.

I hope the next posting on this will be my last, but will include minor build info for others to use - This has been so easy as to inspire me to another .... soon ?

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I've been struggling with computers recently - today I moved the scanner so I could attach to another as I wanted to put on a picture of a Killin Pug in full lined Caledonian colours. Then for some reason the mouse failed on that, this room is currently a pigsty, so much junk has been moved it's spread out onto the landing so I am not popular !!

The lining is white-black-white with the black not showing too much contrast against the Caledonian blue. However note how much lighter the front sandbox looks.
This photo shows where the kit is inaccurate - apart from the wheels where one has to use the as supplied Hornby standard 0-4-0 type, the cab windows should be larger and a slightly different location. I've put the underframe side sandbox on as supplied and it's obviously not the right shape, the one supplied is probably correct for later LMS service. Because the bunker is just a ledge on the resin mouldings you need to use the rails which were not fitted at the time of this photograph, but most certainly was there in an LMS photograph I've seen. Sadly I couldn't 'lift' the LMS photo I found on the web as the comparison would have been useful. The pony wheels should be further back, but this is controlled by the Hornby chassis.

To some degree I don't care because it looks quite different and I'd suggest very few people will have seen this photo, or remember enough detail to point out the various small errors. Please don't let these shortcomings stop you from having a go !

With luck I'll finish this next week, but if it's anything like this ............ ??

Geoff T.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

That is a lovely b/w photo
bet I could lift it!
Lovely work....all these wonderful pugs appearing
looking forward to your last few postings on this one
Regards
rocketman
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Brave man, putting up a picture of the prototype! It's a nice model, good luck with the coach hunting.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
buz

Post by buz »

Hi dad 1
Is there any way you can rig a pick up on the trailing wheels.
that would help with the stalling.
It will be totally wrong but if you see the railway Children clerestory coach
At a reasonable cost that would I think look nice.
It would do for a temporary coach and in plum and white it is nearly the right colors.
just a thought .
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
noel

Post by noel »

+

In the 50's & 60's this happend to me with 3 Morris Minors:
only they had swivel-pin suspension, and the bottom housing
started out cast from phosphor bronze, later replaced with
an insert in production.
Attachments
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0509.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Buz,

Trying to put pickups on these trailing wheels would cause more problems than it would solve. Firstly they're aluminium with much of the back plastic, being Very light any pickup drag would cause them to skid. They simply run in a slot, turning under their own weight and sideways movement is quite large as they sit well behind the 4 main wheels, it would be difficult to have pickups allowing enough free movement.
Anyway the chassis is already running better than a standard Caledonian 0-4-0 Pug, but I still have 30-50 grammes of weight to pack in over the front axle. The extra weight should give me traction to pull at least 20 small wagons at 5 scale mph without stalling - should be good enough for 3 coaches.

My second parcel with the fourth wheel Caledonian coaches arrived today - Although I wanted just 3 I've ended up with 4. Not having had time to do any work on the 0-4-2 and feeling just a little frustrated I ran the loco with 3 coaches and made a small video. Then before I'd posted on the thread the last one arrived so here are a couple of photos with all 4 in tow. My HMRS lining transfers arrived today as well, although I'm out over the weekend I can now get the final jobs done during next week.

I'll add the video later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoE3BZCO1wg

Geoff T.
Last edited by Dad-1 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.