The ultimate British N Gauge model?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)

The ultimate British N Gauge model?

Postby 44007 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 am

Saw this at the N Gauge show and he has now posted it on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWhJQ3iUbKc
It's not just the sound, the weathering and detailing is also perfectly executed.

cmeonthemove

Re: The ultimate British N Gauge model?

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:48 am

This is a super little model and from the video it sounds similar speaker quality to 00 gauge, although I'd like to see how they've fitted all the sound electronics in to the loco.

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 am

is it O gauge with a big model coin?? :mrgreen:

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 am

Thats a bit nice!

I agree tho would be nice to see it topless lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi folks,

Mercig have the model listed at £600.

Perhaps someone could buy it, then take it to bits to show us how it's all been squeezed in?

cheers

Ben A.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Weee! :D that's a little smasher! the sound is excellent to, all through the start up and close down, love the little 'chugg' at the end as the exhaust closes off (think that's what that noise is?) great detail and everything but £600 ?...ouch! :shock: :lol:

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 am

i would love to be in the financial possition to just say £600?????? point me in the way of the manufacturer and i shall buy one immediately!!!!!

but as it is i will just have to dream of a day when my N guage loco's can burst into life and sound,,,

a serious pat on the back deserved for the guys behind that little beauty!!!!

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 am

They already do on the US and Continental market. RTR sound has been around for quite a long time in N Scale, its just our lot don't make provision for it so you have to machine out the chassis block to fit the decoder/speaker as well as probably having to remove the original PCB and rewire everything onto the decoder, which is where a lot of the cost is involved with the Mercig 'Rat'. I reckon that if provision was made by FarBach for sound, Mercig could cut £200 off that price because it would be a much simpler fit.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 am

Hi

She is a real beauty, and a wonderful job on the weathering. I had a look on Mercig web site and he has more listed. Some real outstanding work done on n gauge and some actually look real.

As to the sound did anyone hear it at the show and what did you think? The video is excellent. I had a look at the Farish specifications for this loco, besides being n gauge and a small diesel a huge amount of work has gone into it to get sound and also the extra lights added.

I think it will sell fairly quickly at that price which I think is very very fair. As pointed out you can get sound in US locos but nothing in UK outline.

Cheers

Martin

Postby 44007 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 pm

The loco stood up very well against the ambient noise level of the show although you perhaps would not have noticed it if you were just randomly passing the stand.... it was however very loud and on a layout, with no background noise, would be great.

The price is more than competitive when you consider the amount of time gone into the model.... probably a couple of days from the Mercig end with the weathering, detailing etc and at least a couple more for the sound conversion as well as cab lighting, when you add on the cost of the sound decoder and base model then you are looking at a bargain.

If you look at the competition such as CJM who would charge even more for a weathered and detailed model with DCC chip (but no lighting or sound) then it is a very good deal not to mention high end models in the larger scales which would make the Mercig model price look like spare change.

Dan

champion

Postby champion » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Although i also see and heard a farish class 24 at trains4u open day and was at a price of £400 plus and took 8weeks to do and was excellant,am affraid if this is the only way to go into getting maybachs in my westerns then i need to win the lottery again and again.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 am

Vey good but at £600 way too steep, my brother has 2 DB rabbit diesels coupled together with sound by Fleischmann and theese were less than half the price of this so if Fleischmann can do it why not Farish?
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 am

Sadly because Flieschmann have a much larger market and can absorb R&D costs in a much larger production run.

When Farish and Dapol are releasing batches of 500-1000 locos they aren't making a lot of money on that batch, when your talking of a £300-£400 loco that needs DCC your limiting your customer base further. Only people like Mercig, CJM etc can produce these bespoke locos because although their market is small, those who are in the market for such a loco will pay for it and they can make a profit from it.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

i wonder how much tractive effort it has lost?? i ask because i expect a fair amount of metal had to be removed to fit the goodies in.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi

None.... if you look on youtube you will find this sound loco actually gained another approximate 10% extra weight on the original.

Farish/Dapol can do it but their is no market. I understand at the n gauge show their was only maybe 5% of the layouts that were DCC.

Still a great achievement as you dig deeper into it. eg loco is fitted with a 16x24mm speaker and speaker is totally hidden.....so whats the width of a farish 24?

Martin

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”