The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeraldH

Re: The BNR (another way)

Post by GeraldH »

Having removed the damaged railings, which may have provided some extra rigidity to the chassis, it was decided to reinforce the underframe.

A1000Reinforcement.jpg

The loco was then reassembled for testing on the line's severe gradients. The permanent way department are considering relaying the track on the steepest parts with steel rail which is believed to have a higher coefficient of friction than the existing alloy rails.

A1000Test.jpg

The crews are having to get used to entering and exiting via the cab windows, but some new cab doors have been sourced and it is planned to incorporate them into a modified cab.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The railway has recently taken delivery of some second hand track. Most of it is steel which will be installed on the steepest gradient to see if it improves adhesion. One section had damaged sleepers where it had previously been fixed to the trackbed.

DamagedTrack.jpg

To ensure passenger safety the damaged sleepers needed to be repaired and this was done using epoxy. This was then filed to shape and a scored using a knife to create a woodgrain effect. New fixing points can be drilled into adjacent sleepers. The repair is quite robust and once the track is ballasted and weathered no-one will ever know.

FixedTrack.jpg
Last edited by GeraldH on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The railway have recently been selling advertising space which has brightened up the rather plain wall at the Pewsley terminus.

Posters.jpg

Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

GeraldH wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:51 pm The repair is quite robust and once the track is ballasted and weathered no-one will ever know.
We will now :lol:

The serious question though, is was it successful in improving the performance on the gradient?
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeraldH wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:08 pmThe permanent way department are considering relaying the track on the steepest parts with steel rail which is believed to have a higher coefficient of friction than the existing alloy rails.
Hi Gerald. You should be able to get quantitative measurements by use of an adjustable ramp.
Use a specific loco and load of wagons, but vary the (say) one-metre lengths of track.
For each type of track, adjust the ramp angle until slip occurs (or the loco stalls). The previous angle of ramp then gives a quantitative measure of the rail.
Cheers, Chris
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:49 am
GeraldH wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:08 pmThe permanent way department are considering relaying the track on the steepest parts with steel rail which is believed to have a higher coefficient of friction than the existing alloy rails.
Hi Gerald. You should be able to get quantitative measurements by use of an adjustable ramp.
Use a specific loco and load of wagons, but vary the (say) one-metre lengths of track.
For each type of track, adjust the ramp angle until slip occurs (or the loco stalls). The previous angle of ramp then gives a quantitative measure of the rail.
Cheers, Chris
Thank you. There's been slight delay to tracklaying and testing as staff have been diverted by an errant power unit in the BNR's rebuilt Class 21/29 :roll: .

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Santa seems to have made another pre-Christmas visit to Ballybongle, The reindeer might be having a day off as it looks like he could be about to board the BR DMU through the tunnel to England :) .

Santa23.jpg

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

After a year of delays the salvaged Class 21 has finally entered service. It's original power unit is still causing trouble and so it has been temporarily replaced with a spare. The railway is experiencing a shortage of larger diesels at the moment and so the loco was rushed through the paint shop. This nearly ended in disaster due to issues with a well known brand of enamel matt varnish which has resulted in a rather speckled roof. The Class 21 should be hauling some of the winter passenger services soon.

BNR29_2sm.jpg

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Another long running workshop saga has ended with the completion of the new shortened Treplica full brake (Replica body on Triang chassis). Issues in the paintshop means that this one also has the speckled patchy grey roof. The roof could be stripped and repainted, but there is the risk of damaging the other paintwork so it may be left as is. The paintshop are looking to change suppliers to Precision Paints, though supplies seem to be quite hard to get hold of.

BG_sm.jpg

Phred

Post by Phred »

The mottled grey roof looks pretty good to my untrained eye. Looks just like the filth which naturally accumulates on top of carriages.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Phred wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:36 pm The mottled grey roof looks pretty good to my untrained eye. Looks just like the filth which naturally accumulates on top of carriages.
Thank you. It does look rather weathered, but there is quite a thick layer of varnish now as an additional coat was put on in the hope it would cover the initial issue. Fortunately the passengers won't see much of the roof and so won't be aware of the slip in standards :) .

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Attempting to get the rescued Class 21's original Ringfield power bogie running smoothly has proved to be a long running saga. Initially it seemed that the brushes were not being held firmly in place due to a damaged faceplate rivet and so the missing part of the rivet was built up using epoxy. This did not, however, seem to solve the problem and so new hollow rivets were ordered (3.5mm diameter, 5mm long). As the workshop staff did not have a riveting tool, they bodge fitted it with a punch and a vice. It looked good, but running was still not smooth.

RingfieldRivet_1.jpg
At around the same time it was discovered that the armature windings had been "repaired" previously seeming unbalancing things, so a spare armature was found and fitted in the workshop, but the running was still erratic. The loco then entered trial service, but the armature was getting stuck at slow speeds in one direction. This meant that the loco was often unable to reverse resulting in marooned and rather frustrated passengers and so the disgraced loco was returned to the workshops.
Ringfield1.jpg
On close examination it was noticed that the new bodged rivet was fractionally off 90 degrees and rather than attempt another bodged riveting exercise, it was decided to use a spare faceplate that had been tucked away in a dusty corner. During trial fitting it was noticed that the top mounting clips were in the wrong place for the Class 21's power unit. No spare faceplates appear to be available for this particular power unit, but the careful use of filler (Milliput) meant that a new fixing (self tapping screw) could be engineered.

Ringfield2.jpg
Now the saga is finally[?] over and BNR's number 12 has entered passenger service, although the paintshop didn't cover themselves in glory with this one. Despite now running fairly well, passengers seem a little nervous :shock: when this one turns up at the head of a service, perhaps the loco should have been numbered 13?

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

This looks like a case for a CD motor implant. I've done a couple, including one in a bogie that has gone under a dock shunter. It's worth getting a kit with a 12v motor and an adaptor ring, I've 3D printed my own adaptor. The end result is as good as a brand new ring field ever was.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Bufferstop wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:38 pm This looks like a case for a CD motor implant. I've done a couple, including one in a bogie that has gone under a dock shunter. It's worth getting a kit with a 12v motor and an adaptor ring, I've 3D printed my own adaptor. The end result is as good as a brand new ring field ever was.
With hindsight that might have been the best option, though the spares were available in the works. The Ringfield faceplate for the Class 25/29/35/HST are very hard to come by, so people that have done the conversion could make a few pounds selling their old faceplates and armatures on that auction site :) .

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The track gangers finally found some free time to install steel rails on the BNR's steepest gradient. Steel rail apparently has a greater coefficient of friction than nickel silver rail and it was hoped that this might improve adhesion, allowing some of the less powerful locos to work on the branch to Pewsley. To test the hypothesis trials were first run on the existing nickel silver track using a lead weighted wagon. The wagon was weighted just to the point where BNR's loco No. 1 was unable to progress.

SteelTest.jpg

Some speedy tracklaying then took place, along with some adjustment to the pre-used fishplates. After tea and chocolate biscuits No. 1's crew took on the challenge...