The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: The BNR (another way)

Post by Dad-1 »

Last week I sold a nice running Hornby class 29 For £10.
Traction tyres beginning to slip and I didn't want it !!

Geoff T.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Dad-1 wrote:Last week I sold a nice running Hornby class 29 For £10.
Someone will be happy, there are sellers on Ebay asking GBP 70 for a used one :shock:
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The BNR's operating department have for a long time admired the BR Class 58, but it was way too large for the line's requirements. The BNR did, however, persuade BR to allocate one to BR services through the tunnel from the mainland so that the BNR's workshop staff could see how it performed. After some tweaks it has proved to be an excellent loco and the BNR now have the opportunity to use some of the parts to create their own mini Class 58.

It looks like quite a tricky job and so the loco department have decided to do a dummy run electronically. They are not going to win any awards for their photoshop skills (actually Pinta on Linux) but It looks to be possible. Time to start chopping... :)
Class58_sml.JPG

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Interesting project, good luck.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Kindling

Post by Kindling »

Looks familiar. See the very first post on this thread!

As always, love this freelance style of concept and modelling. All the Best. :D
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Management recently suggested that workshop staff make some progress on their existing projects before starting new ones and cluttering up the place. The line's third push pull coach is about to undergo trials after a trip to the paint shop. Unfortunately someone didn't clean the paint shop very well before spraying commenced and a few bits of detritus have become embedded in the paint. It's not too bad from a distance and some matt varnish may help after the decals have been added.

For some reason the BNR's locos have been getting a coat of matt varnish while the coaches remain in a gloss finish. Now that a new compressor has arrived, the coaches may also get treated to some matt varnish as well as their decals which have been in store for several years.
PushPullCorridor.jpg
Several of Ballybongle's recently arrived citizens jumped aboard the new push-pull coach during the photocall. At some point they might realise that the coach isn't going anywhere at the moment :) .
PushPullPax.jpg
The Class 21 has also visited the paint shop. It looks quite smart with it's black window frames. The buffers and handrails will be fitted after the decals and a coat of matt varnish.
Class21.jpg

Phred

Post by Phred »

Dad-1 wrote:
I have wondered before now if the traction tyres must be replaced or can the loco run without them? Obviously there would be less traction but would running without tyres result in damage to the track or wheels?
GeraldH wrote:
At some point they might realise that the coach isn't going anywhere at the moment
One night when I was a child my family was traveling somewhere by train, can't remember where. The other passengers disembarked at various stations until we were alone in our compartment.

After a while the train stopped and remained stationary for a time. We weren't too concerned until the train (or at least the carriage we were in) started moving backwards and the lights went out. At this stage we appeared to be moving slowly through some sort of dimly lit rail yard with trucks and unlit carriages on either side. The carriage stopped once or twice and there was some banging and clanking.

My father decided to go and look for someone in case we were going to be stranded. He came back and reported that there was no one to be seen, but just at that point the train started moving forward again and the lights came back on. The rest of the journey was uneventful but it was quite scary at the time.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

It's quarter past seven and the cycle racks are still full, so there must be something going on further along the line. Those wheel-bender racks are really not up to scratch and some proper cycle stands (staples?) are on the cards. Hmmm... there seems to be a newcomer in the bay platform...
Cycles.jpg
A K1, how did the loco department get hold of that? There's pretty much an embargo on new locos so they must have got a very good deal. It runs pretty well with a very slight pulsing in forward gear which will hopefully improve with more use. It's not, however, as robust as it could be and Some clumsy staff have already broken the front lamp irons off the front since the photo was taken :shock: .
K1.jpg

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The procurement team recently picked up probably the worst condition loco ever seen on the BNR. Someone did not do their due diligence! The handrails were damaged and the clip holding the front bogie together had sheared off at some point as had a body fixing.

Sm_BogieClipHandrail.jpg

The end plate of the motor had also somehow come adrift and the cab roof was damaged. Remarkably the loco did run albeit not that well.

Sm_MotorEndPlate.jpg

and so to work...

Phred

Post by Phred »

Wow - good luck with that! :shock:
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

GeraldH wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:00 pm The BNR's operating department have for a long time admired the BR Class 58, but it was way too large for the line's requirements. The BNR did, however, persuade BR to allocate one to BR services through the tunnel from the mainland so that the BNR's workshop staff could see how it performed. After some tweaks it has proved to be an excellent loco and the BNR now have the opportunity to use some of the parts to create their own mini Class 58.

It looks like quite a tricky job and so the loco department have decided to do a dummy run electronically. They are not going to win any awards for their photoshop skills (actually Pinta on Linux) but It looks to be possible. Time to start chopping... :)

Class58_sml.JPG
Shame Emettman couldn't see this! Miss Emettman.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

While in the workshop it has also been noticed that the power unit fixing mounts are also damaged. One has snapped off and the other is partially missing. As a result the power unit does not sit level which does not help with smooth running.

Sm_MotorClip.jpg

The mounts have now been successfully rebuilt using epoxy adhesive. The clear plastic is used to create a smooth base and being very flexible can be peeled off once the epoxy has set. The repair is remarkably strong and running has improved. Running has also been improved by pushing the misaligned motor end plate back in with a vice.

Sm_MotorClipFix.jpg

The partially broken handrails have been removed and it is not intended to replace them.

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The missing bogie frame fixing clip has now been reconstructed using epoxy (JB Weld). It needs a little more added and it will then be filed to match the missing original.

Sm_RebuilitClip.jpg

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Now that summer is over the workshop staff can focus on some of their incomplete projects. First to see some progress is the rescued small American diesel. Buffer beams and buffers have now been added, the electrics tidied up and a new, much better, front body fixing produced. There has been some test running and it is much improved, but the major problem is it's lack of tractive effort even with weights fitted. This is due to it only having 4 driven wheels. The procurement team have obtained another donor loco as well as a smaller upgraded power unit and at some point it is likely to be converted to 8 wheel drive. Cab access is also an issue, since the rear door and platform were removed, as staff now have to enter via the cab windows! :o

Sm_AHM_Buffers.jpg

Phred

Post by Phred »

GeraldH wrote:
staff now have to enter via the cab windows! :o
:lol: That won't pass OHS!