Small Shunting Based Layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
cwignall

Small Shunting Based Layout

Post by cwignall »

Ok so i think this is the first plan i have posted on here - for about literally the last 10 years i have made countless designs, getting more and more carried away and frankly, kidding myself.
First one ill be able to do cos i have been a bit silly with money over the years and never been able to afford it...until now =)

This is inspired by the increasingly popular shunting puzzles, with added operational options. I want to make it high detail with lights in the houses, in the yard etc.

Really wanted to do modern image - just so i can run a class 70 (pretty!!!) and class 66 and a 158, and this will probably be able to accomodate but i think the atmosphere of the late BR Blue era would be better (i have another layout idea for modern image)

Excuse the pixelated pic - whats the best way to get an xtrk layout displayed? had to screen print, in to word, crop it, then do all sorts of jiggling about and it still looks crap?

Will keep ya'll updated
Attachments
Shunt Layout.JPG
Shunt Layout.JPG (41.46 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Class 70 - An ugly duckling - To me its a swan!
Stowell Bridge Sidings - My layout in progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 74#p357874
buz

Re: Small Shunting Based Layout

Post by buz »

Hi cwignall
I can see one problem with your plan.
The absence of a run around loop it seems reasonable that the train enters from the left if its a freighter it will pull into the platform or the yard but you will not be able to run round.
So the loco will be trapped at the wrong end and be unable to do anything, a run around at the passenger platform will cure that,
and also allow short loco hauled passenger trains that don't have DVT'S or are not DMU'S? EMU'S?.
Thats my 50c worth
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
cwignall

Post by cwignall »

thanks for the tip.

However the platform is designed to only hold 2 car DMU - ie a modern class 158 or br blue 108 (depending on chosen era). and is terminus btw.

The loco bringing the wagons will only bring in 5 at a time, as the puzzle is based on 8 wagons - 3 being in the sidings already.

Part of the challenge is to unload the wagons as quick as possible probably in 3 runs (2 wagons, 2 wagons then 1 wagon) the loco can then back up the line and enter the yard to the fueling point, all before the next DMU pulls up.

Also the DMU will block the sidings, thus restricting the loco shunting on to the main line.

Partly inspired by this idea
http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ ... B-TPv1.jpg
Text with the image:
The combination of freight and passenger operations, separated in the layout above, can even be connected in a way which adds an additional momentum of operational interest.

This trackplan separates the shunting puzzle tracks and the passenger service shuttle track to a large extent, but not completely. The uppermost track of the shunting puzzle arrangement forms part of the main running line (a complication - and potential source for dangerous situations - usually avoided on the prototype, but not always possible to eliminate completely), which means that shunting moves may have to take into account the arrival or departure of a passenger train at platform 2 and clear the line for this well in time. There are several ways of introducing the effects of this complication. You can either limit the number of shunting moves (i.e. after 10 moves the uppermost "siding" must be cleared because a train is due for arrival or departure), or - if using a card or token system to select cars - you can introduce a special token/card which, when drawn in the process of determining the shunting order, rules that the uppermost siding must be cleared once (or even each time) the car which was drawn just before the special card/token is involved in a shunting move. This operational complication is a bit like "chance" cards in a game of Monopoly and can at times add quite a bit of added headscratching to the process of solving an Inglenook Sidings shunting puzzle...

make sense? wll that work as ive planned or have i missed anything?
Stowell Bridge Sidings - My layout in progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 74#p357874
buz

Post by buz »

Hicwignal
Ah! now it makes a bit of sense.
I would give it a test run if you have the track or a good planning program that can simulate trains.
I can see how the passenger service can foul things up nicely.
I am not sure it is necessary for the passenger service to foul things up it will be challenging enough without that element
of difficulty but a passenger service does add to the operations on the layout.
You say modern perhaps a lift as well as stairs to the platform would be a good idea to help reinforce the modern image.
If you really want to foul things up one of your chance cards could read some thing like May be "OH NO!! a bogie wagon"
which has to be got out of the arriving train and sent back full to be transfered into wagons that fit the yard
on top of getting the other load-eds into there respective sidings.
Just don't make what ever happens imposable to do.
regards John
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

you say you want a shunting puzzle, and then you list large bogie locos?? you are not likely to see a class 70 or 66 with a 5 wagon train, never mind shunting one. :shock: i would suggest you use live frogs and get a shunter loco like an 03,04,08 etc. still bring the train in with your biggies, but shunt with a shunter
cwignall

Post by cwignall »

locoworks wrote:you say you want a shunting puzzle, and then you list large bogie locos?? you are not likely to see a class 70 or 66 with a 5 wagon train, never mind shunting one. :shock: i would suggest you use live frogs and get a shunter loco like an 03,04,08 etc. still bring the train in with your biggies, but shunt with a shunter
Hi

yeah i will be shunting with an 08 - the large loco will be refueled ready to take the refilled / repaired wagons off again - may add a goods shed and add a loading element to the challenge.

i know about the 5 wagon train however i have seen a 1 wagon train on a class 66 - aparantly taking it to a service depot down the road for servicing - that being the case i was considering making it a wagon service depot - always ways to justify things :D
buz wrote:Hicwignal
Ah! now it makes a bit of sense.
I would give it a test run if you have the track or a good planning program that can simulate trains.
I can see how the passenger service can foul things up nicely.
I am not sure it is necessary for the passenger service to foul things up it will be challenging enough without that element
of difficulty but a passenger service does add to the operations on the layout.
You say modern perhaps a lift as well as stairs to the platform would be a good idea to help reinforce the modern image.
If you really want to foul things up one of your chance cards could read some thing like May be "OH NO!! a bogie wagon"
which has to be got out of the arriving train and sent back full to be transfered into wagons that fit the yard
on top of getting the other load-eds into there respective sidings.
Just don't make what ever happens imposable to do.
regards John
yeah i like the bogie idea - even wanted to add like chance cards like a loco breakdown or wagons needing refilling etc.

but will experiement once built with regards difficulty
buz

Post by buz »

Hi
There have been a number of articles on model able trains in the various magazines
They all seem to have a number of things in common hauled by the popular locomotives of the day
even if the loco seems way too big for the job.
The trains are short.
The trains are a mix of RTR, kit built and bashed rolling stock.
The articles are also always accompanied by pictures of the real thing.
It would seem that the short of space problem is not new and modelers have been searching for that train that fits
for as long as the hobby has been around.
From this a huge engine and five wagons is not that unbelievable as a train.
Its just most people seem to think thirteen + wagons makes a better length train :D
regards John
cwignall

Post by cwignall »

buz wrote:Hi
There have been a number of articles on model able trains in the various magazines
They all seem to have a number of things in common hauled by the popular locomotives of the day
even if the loco seems way too big for the job.
The trains are short.
The trains are a mix of RTR, kit built and bashed rolling stock.
The articles are also always accompanied by pictures of the real thing.
It would seem that the short of space problem is not new and modelers have been searching for that train that fits
for as long as the hobby has been around.
From this a huge engine and five wagons is not that unbelievable as a train.
Its just most people seem to think thirteen + wagons makes a better length train :D
regards John
yeah given the choice i would love to run full length trains down a long country straight but money/space as ever restricts me as it does many. at least i can justify this in some scenarios as real. :D
cwignall

Post by cwignall »

MAJOR UPDATE!!!! (he said with sarcasm ... i find it exciting though)

I now have all my track (thanks to a bargain 3 brand new points on ebay for £15!)
Bought the following on ebay:

Cutting Mat
Steel Ruler
Tweezers - i have never been more excited about something so insignificant!
Got some Xuron cutters enroute!

As you will see i am starting from the bottom as this will be my first proper layout.

Will be building the base board tommorrow hopefully! Then start some scalescene constructions

Ooh its finally happening.

Have been debating about building smaller dioramas for practice but stuff it - start with the main one! May get some going though as a side project with my spare tracks.