Yellow Warning Panels

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
jack richards

Yellow Warning Panels

Post by jack richards »

Here is a class 37 using transfers as an outline for a yellow warning panel.

I have seen many articles on this usually masking the area and then spaying. However, it is very difficult to mask this area effectively as there are many details and raised surfaces.

Its much simpler to just cut yellow lining transfers and paint in between.

Jack
Attachments
Class 37 with transfer lining outline
Class 37 with transfer lining outline
classs 37.JPG (22.61 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Last edited by jack richards on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack richards

Re: Yellow Warning Panels

Post by jack richards »

Here is a class 40 and the necessary tools with warning panel painted using the same transfer technique.

The transfers are HRMS Pressfix. I use Carrs transfix to make the lining soft enough to go over raised detail and it also loosens the pressfix gum so you can adjust the lining.

Use the calipers to measure the lengths.

The class 40 - an old Lima, has been fitted with an A1 models windscreen panel and Craftsman buffer beam and details + head code boxes, also Craftsman. Still needs some filling and glazing.

Jack
Attachments
The tools neded for the job
The tools neded for the job
tools.JPG (40.89 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Here's one I made earlier with some painting still to do
Here's one I made earlier with some painting still to do
class 40.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Looks like it works well. It's noticeable that there are two different yellows, but I think that looks kinda nice.

Are the headcode boxes jutting out past the side of the loco? The windscreen looks rather high too. Are you using a photo of the actual loco to aid in positioning these, or just following the (generally rather poor) Craftsman (I dunno about A1) instructions? I'd recommend having a few actual photos to hand while fitting. Hope you don't mind me pointing it out.

What's the thinking behind painting them green before filling? Just to see how things are looking?

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Great idea, It's given me a clue how to repaint the cream panels on my Dublo Pullmans. I'm looking for one more brake second then the conversion to Brighton Belle begins. With four cars already collected I have 3 different shades of cream one of which is more like yellow. I'm gonna outrage the collectors!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
jack richards

Post by jack richards »

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the constructive comments always welcome.

The 40 had the windscreen and headcode boxes fitted later. The windscreen was really for a CLASS 37 so isn't a perfect fit, perhaps it needs to drop down a liitle. I fitted the head code boxes as per instructions, are they flush on the 40's?

That is why the painting was done in that way. What I normally do is to prime the model to check for faults - didn't happen in this case.

I originally just ammended the LIMA 40 with the new buffer beam, then stripped the paint and resparayed it with Railmatch loco green which I think captures the early diesel green well.

I haven't quite finished painting the yellow on the front end, it will match when I do.

I take it you model diesels??

Jack
jack richards

Post by jack richards »

Bufferstop wrote:Great idea, It's given me a clue how to repaint the cream panels on my Dublo Pullmans. I'm looking for one more brake second then the conversion to Brighton Belle begins. With four cars already collected I have 3 different shades of cream one of which is more like yellow. I'm gonna outrage the collectors!
Thanks Buffer stop.

Best of luck with the Pullmans!!!

I modelled, years ago, the Orient Express rake for Paul Wade's Tonbridge West Yard.(Its on the model railway photo board) I used an MTK kit for the ex Brighton Belle cars, they were a nightmare :o

I used Precision Pullman Cream its right I think. Yes you will give the collectors a bad day, but who cares, trains are for running.

Jack
Dead Man's Handle

jack richards wrote:I fitted the head code boxes as per instructions, are they flush on the 40's?
They're either flush or very slightly in - there might be a little variation, or maybe it's just things looking different from different angles/distances. But I've never seen any that protrude beyond the side of the nose.
jack richards wrote:I take it you model diesels??
Right now it'd be more correct to say I model a diesel :lol: since that's all I have at the moment...

It's fairly substantially based on a Craftsman kit... which the instructions say to just stick on, but to get it looking anything like you actually have to do some pretty serious excavation first.

Ade
My bits and pieces

jack richards

Post by jack richards »

I've checked your thread is it the Deltic :?: If so looks good keep up the good work.

Jack
Dead Man's Handle

Yeah... well, it was a Deltic, but I'm turning it into DP2 :) The loco was based on a 'Deltic' body shell, but the guts were an uprated version of the class 40 power unit, which went on to power the class 50s.

Ade
My bits and pieces