Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Edgware GN, New loco's

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I had forgotten that I hadn't taken any pics of the new black J3, Have now.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7065.JPG
DSCF7064.JPG
DSCF7063.JPG
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Neat work, it's rare to see a model of a small GNR design 0-6-0. And a J3 would be among the last survivors of the development of the GNR's Stirling originated 0-6-0s, by the time it was it BR's hands. There was quite a lot of variation in placement of the sandboxes and how they were styled over the years, while domes came in with Ivatt, and Ross pops steadily replaced Ramsbottom safety valves. But the general outline didn't otherwise alter that much.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The ever-growing stable never ceases to amaze - how many completed, and in-progress, locos do you have now?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Big Met.

The GN had some good looking 0-6-0's (well to my eye's), the earlier J4's were such a mix, the J3's being just as bad. I've managed to pic up another Kitmaster Stirling tender, so another J4 half cab 0-6-0 will be taking shape in the future.

Ex-Pat

I must have at least a dozen J3, J4's and there must be at least another dozen part built loco's in boxes around the country. All up there must be a least a 100 in the stud now, very few of those would as they came out of the box.

Some more arrivals, are a nine coach set, of the LNER 'Coronation'. That'll be fun.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7059.JPG
DSCF7060.JPG
DSCF7061.JPG
DSCF7062.JPG
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Your skills will doubtless be up to the Coronation set. I chickened out having purchased a complete formation s/h, with no idea it was an all transparent plastic body shell. 'First mask and paint all interior surfaces'; had a think about that, packed up the one opened pack, and briskly sold the whole set on.
manna

Post by manna »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pm Your skills will doubtless be up to the Coronation set. I chickened out having purchased a complete formation s/h, with no idea it was an all transparent plastic body shell. 'First mask and paint all interior surfaces'; had a think about that, packed up the one opened pack, and briskly sold the whole set on.
G'Day Bigmet

Hadn't even opened the packs yet, but I have been informed that it's better to paint the inside first, like painting, but it will be a challenge.

manna
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You can also paint the inside from the outside; effectively using the interior colour as the primer for the outside of the vehicle, and that way you only have to mask the outside. In theory. Well, possibly some can make that work, but my teenage experiences of this technique are of the 'never again' type
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Bigmet, I won't bother to mask the windows, I have a steady hand, and I'll keep the Terp's handy.

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Well another parcel has arrived, this time bearing a Gresley V2, it was only 35 pounds but it has been dropped, thought I'd take a chance, not to bad, damaged bufferbeams (as expected) cab handrails hanging off and a poor paint job, the bufferbeams were tackled first, one buffer missing and the rest in the box, none of them are any good, so 4 brass buffers were fitted after the bufferbeams were cleaned up, then it was time for the cab handrails, I had received some handrail knobs in my parcel, so they came in handy, which is were I am at the moment.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7079.JPG
DSCF7082.JPG
DSCF7088.JPG
DSCF7085.JPG
DSCF7080.JPG
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Another major renovation job.
1/3 of the price of a new kit and the same creative opportunities to
make something worth having - Nice !!

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I'd say more like a sixth of the price once all the mechanism parts have been purchased. Had I seen that, I would have purchased for the mechanism and running gear alone, now that kit wheels are so expensive. Whatever, it's getting a good full works overhaul after being involved in an accident, and will doubtless look fine once on the layout.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'll take a better picture of the chassis, as it has a good set of wheels and the valve gear hasn't been damaged, I might have to do a little soldering.

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here's the chassis, has a 5 pole motor as well.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7095.JPG
DSCF7094.JPG
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Excellent work (as usual), manna. Such a high standard I bet even Sir Nigel would have been pleased.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Phred

Post by Phred »

I look forward to seeing how you work your magic on this one.