Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bigmet

Re: Edgware GN, New loco's

Post by Bigmet »

manna wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:44 pm ...Hi Bigmet. Still undecided where to base my railway, but it's fun thinking of all the places it could be.
It took me a long time to 'settle' on my preferred location, other than knowing it had to be ECML for the flood tide of wide firebox traction racing past: the Grand Parade of Flamboyant Velocity places it Miles Beevor any other UK location.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Had a rest day yesterday, so I picked up a pencil and paper and doodled a layout, Bounds Green is in my head, but it's to big, but I wanted to see if I could make it fit, I like the flyover and the bonus of the 'Kyber Pass'.

I have a room 22'x12' and I think it fit's

manna
Attachments
DSCF6821.JPG
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi Manna, looks like a good big project, just the job for your fleet of locos.

Best of luck with it.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

'Reckon you'll get dizzy watching trains go round on that plan - but they'll be some sight!
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks for the replies. Plenty of room for my loco's to have a good work out. As far as getting Dizzy, already get that without the trains, but I look at it as two 11' x 12' layouts joined together.

This what I have to look forward to......

manna
Attachments
32731920sBoundsGreen.jpg
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

With some of the major work done for the moment, it was time to finish the workbench (screw the top down) and unload the caravan of all my railway boxes (under the seat). To celebrate (?) I've dragged the N7 out of it's box and started to assemble it. I still have plenty to do, but now I can have the odd hour at the workbench. :D

manna
Attachments
DSCF6880.JPG
DSCF6879.JPG
Phred

Post by Phred »

Nice workspace. :) I like how the plan is attached to the wall for quick reference.
I always found starting a model to be the hardest part. I'd look at all the pristine parts in the box and imagine how I'm about to ruin them.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Phred

I get where you are coming from, it does seem a shame, but it depends what you want.

Darn sight easier building a kit, compared to scratch building, so far only spent 3 hours on it.

manna
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

manna wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 am ...Darn sight easier building a kit, compared to scratch building, so far only spent 3 hours on it.
Especially when it is a good kit and the parts are the right size and shape and fit well. I built my Wills N7 as a round top boiler version in the long ago, and it was overall the best loco kit of all that I put together, looks well alongside the current RTR model. (Its simple basic shape of cuboid box and a cylinder and fairly small size really helps; both with the whitemetal casting, and easy alignment in assembly, and results in a spacious interior for a simple mechanism layout.)
manna

Post by manna »

Bigmet wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:06 am
manna wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 am ...Darn sight easier building a kit, compared to scratch building, so far only spent 3 hours on it.
Especially when it is a good kit and the parts are the right size and shape and fit well. I built my Wills N7 as a round top boiler version in the long ago, and it was overall the best loco kit of all that I put together, looks well alongside the current RTR model. (Its simple basic shape of cuboid box and a cylinder and fairly small size really helps; both with the whitemetal casting, and easy alignment in assembly, and results in a spacious interior for a simple mechanism layout.)
G'Day Bigmet

I'm finding very easy to build, not a lot of flash, and so many parts because of all the variations. Have ordered a Hornby chassis for it.

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

More progress on the N7. Hornby chassis ordered.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6882.JPG
DSCF6884.JPG
DSCF6886.JPG
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

I echo Phred's comment re plan on wall.

Not much scope here with this one manna for your customary innovations - or is there?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Ex-Pat

No, this ones strictly by the book, a N7 is what I need, an N7 is what'll get, but who knows in the innovation, still got to fit the idler wheel. At the moment she's covered in 'Pink' filler.

manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've given the N7 a good clean up, looks quite good now, but I'm putting it aside for the moment, awaiting the chassis, so in the meantime, the W1 has jumped to the head of the que, fancy that !! :P

The main parts of the body have been glued together, don't fancy having the generator running all day just for a soldering iron ! couple of days has seen the bulk of the body joined and a fair few parts cleaned up for future use.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6907.JPG
DSCF6918.JPG
DSCF6919.JPG
DSCF6920.JPG
Phred

Post by Phred »

Building two models at once! :o I wish my brain cells were that versatile.