Edgware GN, New loco's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Edgware GN, New loco's

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Dad 1, I'm on the edge of a small town, bigger than Booborowie. We have running water and Power, the power to the block was cut of years ago, but I'm thinking Solar panels and Batteries might be a better way to go, as I'll only be here for half the year and it could be a few years before I stay all year round.

A ride on Railway would be a few years after that ! :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Haven't thought of a name for it yet, it just has a number........78.

manna
'Morning manna - glad to see you getting back to a sense of normality - how far away are Nos. 77 & 79?

When do you expect to have something up and running?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Ex-Pat, Good question, they don't exist, 77 & 79 would be opposite, which is the Mainline from Townsville to Mount Isa, so I can sit back and watch the Ore, Oil and Tank trains Cross right in front of me, most trains are double or triple headed, don't know what class, all Co-Co. I'll try and take some pics at a later date. There are two passengers trains a week, Wednesday and Saturday, that's the 'Down' train, it consists of three coaches and a baggage car + loco. Haven't seen the 'Up' train yet. You have yo book online for the passenger train.

As for number 76, I own that as my block is made up of two single blocks, one, a half acre block, 20meters By 100meters, and a one acre block 40meters by 100meters, for council purposes, it's classified as one 'Rates' block.

manna
Phred

Post by Phred »

Numbers can be funny in the bush. At my previous place just northwest of Brisbane the property number (when the council decided that I needed one after many years) was 18. All the number 18 signified was that my entrance road was 180 metres from the nearest road junction.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Road numbers are weird over here, where I used to to live the St name was 'Golf Course Road' Numbers 2-120, the only trouble was, it was a Horse paddock, and none of the horses could write or receive mail.

Haven't forgotten my railway, here's a few new loco's.

manna
Attachments
351666214_101564636304840_3302140908304972163_n.jpg
348361889_1350166732573230_883908818514433652_n.jpg
345342466_554271006912536_1742642796086950870_n.jpg
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The Fowler's a bit "off piste" for you isn't it? Or have you got a story lined up?
Phred

Post by Phred »

manna wrote:
none of the horses could write or receive mail
Yes, I have heard that the SA state school system is not as good as Qld. :P
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yeah you don't see many horses in school, but there are horses for courses. :D

Ex-Pat, yeah I've got something in mind for the Fowler, I started on another one a few years back, going to make it into a K2, but ended up shoving a 8f body on it and making a Stanier 2-6-0, this one will end up as a K2.

manna
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I imagine you have a good reason, but surely either of the Bachmann K3 or V1/V3 would introduce fewer compromises to a K2 build than use of the Fowler tank?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The Fowler tank has the same wheelbase and wheel size as the K2, and the valvegear is closer than the V1 & K3. Only got to build the body and tender.

Manna
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Work has finally started on the new workbench, bedroom 2 has a built in wardrobe, with four doors, the middle two being hanging space, the outer doors conceal shelving, the middle doors were removed and a frame built inside this was then covered with 12 ply, I now have a good sized workbench roughly 1.8 m X 600mm, don't know how long it will take to fill to overflowing.

Now a question, I've done Edgware I now want a Mainline railway, I'm looking at Holme, Bounds Green won't fit (Pity) or maybe along the Hertford Branch. Bayford maybe.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6669.JPG
DSCF6668.JPG
DSCF6667.JPG
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Still alive in the land of a Thousand killer animals. :D

Thought you deserved an update. The block now is mainly cleared, thanks to my Brother in Law, moving onto the Block with his Caravan and rolling his sleeves up, under all that grass was a Septic tank (in need of a lid, duly fitted) a 10 meter x 3meter Concrete pad, I think somebody had a van here years ago !

The house roof has been patched and no longer leaks, the lean to has also had it's holes plugged. The walls of the house have had cement sheeting applied to all the damaged bits and again are now waterproof.

All of the old floor coverings have been removed, old newspapers under the 'Lino' have been dated to 1923, reporting the Death of President Harding in November of that year ! Most of the walls have been cleaned, but will require painting, some will need replacing due to water damage.

Some of the wood framing has been eaten by White ants, I'm replacing them with new treated timber. Some of the walls in the lean to are really only hanging from the roof, as the ants have eaten the lower timbers, the walls Sway in the wind ???

The toilet has been hooked up to the Septic tank and water has been connected to the Bathroom hand-basin/bath/shower, both caravans are direct plumbed to the water supply.

Here's a few pics.

manna
Attachments
DSCF6806.JPG
DSCF6780.JPG
DSCF6770.JPG
DSCF6738.JPG
DSCF6708.JPG
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Wow, impressive soldiering on with getting the place fixed up!
manna wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:40 am...or maybe along the Hertford Branch. Bayford maybe...
That's on the Ponsbourne loop, Finsbury Park to Stevenage, rather than a 'branch'. You might take a look at Welwyn North, that's on the ECML , but looks like a large branchline station until a pacific with 25 on bombs past. Still very pretty thanks to retention of the original GNR character, was yet better when it had a goods yard and signal box. Sigh...
Phred

Post by Phred »

Amazing progress!
That cloud of dust in the first photo, is that you mowing the lawn? :lol:
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Phred. The cloud of dust is my Brother in Law, can't get him off the ride on Mower.

Hi Bigmet. Still undecided where to base my railway, but it's fun thinking of all the places it could be.

manna