The ROD / O4 2-8-0 plods slowly into view

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: The ROD / O4 2-8-0 plods slowly into view

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

I have had the 2 of the 3 I ordered that have turned up so far running today, one point to mention, it's best to take off the front pony truck and bend the metal "spring" and re-attach it to improve track holding, as for haulage it is just as good as the bachmann Austerity 2-8-0 and nearly as good as the 9F. I have no critisism of the model except the smokebox door doesn't open (this will make it much harder to do my GWR ROD conversion!) but that aside there are only minor niggles which the pedantic types on RMWeb would moan about. If you like the look of it and want a big freight engine that is handsome go get one, you'll not regret it! :P
here are some photos and a video clip (taken from my layout thread) a longer video of them will be made soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLtDaQbAlQ

bike2steam

Post by bike2steam »

Excellent pics, but as a guide, in the bottom pic, the connecting rod, with wheels in that position, should be centrally located, and parallel to the crosshead guide bars, with the top of the cylinders 'set-in' the running plate - sorry for that, easily altered no doubt.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Yes, I have been studying the construction of mine which arrived today, with a view to correcting the cylinder and slide bars angle and position; I think it wil need a little thinning down of the mounting bar to allow the slidebar bracket to rise a little to enable this. Taken altogether a very nice model, and such a quiet and sweet runner with good traction right out of the box. It's been a long wait for the LNER's most common heavy goods, so it is rather pleasing that it is a goodun.
Pedanticmongrel

forgetting the niggles everyone is going on about, it should be pointed out that Bachmann have produced effectively 3 versions of 63601, it's a bit of a mongrel in it's class, a number of small things are different to the common versions of the class.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Pedanticmongrel wrote: I have no critisism of the model except the smokebox door doesn't open (this will make it much harder to do my GWR ROD conversion!)
Don't quote me but I heard that Bachmann will be doing a Swindonized version at the later date.
Pedanticmongrel

D605Eagle wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote: I have no critisism of the model except the smokebox door doesn't open (this will make it much harder to do my GWR ROD conversion!)
Don't quote me but I heard that Bachmann will be doing a Swindonized version at the later date.
From what I hear they are very busy with a lot of other things atm, so I wouldn't hold your breath, I'm making one swindonised in the next few weeks, but first I'm Gortonising one :D
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Where did that decade go? My second purchase of one of these fine workhorses was making a surprisingly loud clicking noise yesterday evening. Turned out to be from the representation of the rear of cab handrails, which is formed of a single hoop of wire: entirely detached and trailing on the deck one side, catching on the track. Glad it was nothing awry in the gears or elsewhere in the mechanism, which was my immediate suspicion, and a simple and swift fix.

This one for some reason hasn't worn through the paint on the underside of the front footplate, by the pony truck wheelset flanges making occasional contact on some of my rougher track. It's my 'lazy' O4, Frodingham's 63601 which has been commandeered by Doncaster and sent up to London: not renumbered, only had the addition of the traditional filth and rust which was the standard livery for these old faithfuls.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bike2steam wrote:... now if it were an O4/7 or /8, then it would be a different matter.
Just acquired a cheap specimen of an O4, the loco has had things done to it, or possibly been chewed by a small puppy. Or both!

Whatever, it runs well, the tender is untouched, and so it is a perfect candidate for an approximation to an O4/8, by grafting pieces from an ancient Replica B1 loco body onto the footplate. Very relaxed standard on this project, as the LNER's ongoing modification process to keep this freight heavy in service was variable in its uniformity, and the filth should disguise any shortcomings. Of all ex-LNER classes I saw working at the end of BR steam operation, it was an O4/8 that was the filthiest, nearly filthy enough to be mistaken for one of the LMR's locos.