West Lulworth in O - Photo Update (Pg9)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tom92240

West Lulworth in O - Photo Update (Pg9)

Postby tom92240 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi All,

Aside from the Whimsey Hill 00 project, myself and 2 friends also have an 0 gauge layout, in a friends garden. The idea of the layout is based on a fictional extension to the S&D running from somewhere near Wareham down to West Lulworth (for Lulworth Cove) via Winfrith Newburgh.

The layout features both stations mentioned as well as a large fiddle yard which can be set up in minutes inside the house.

The layout has been going since 2003 but more recently, the main project has been setting up fully interlocked signals and single line release equipment at both stations, as well as lots of stock painting into BR livery for the period around 1960. Some photos taken around the last few months are shown here, with some examples displayed below.

Hope to keep you all updated on this project as well as Whimsey Hill!

Tom

Newly outshopped in BR Green

Repainted and Renumbered into BR Black

Last edited by tom92240 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 17 times in total.

tom92240

Re: West Lulworth in O

Postby tom92240 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 am

Been a while since an update, hopefully more on this next week when Mr Wenchford visits with his stock.

Provided the weather is ok, should be a good running week with Q1, Collett Goods, LSWR B4, Jinty and S&D 7F running (from my own pool of engines)

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am

MMmm, West Lulworth eh, looks good, have fun, I know the area well, not far from here, the thought of a railway there made me smile.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi all!

A small update from this mornings running. Locos in action: Q1 33001, B4 85 "Alderney" and Prarie 5526

Hopefully more tonight, or even later on if the rain stops!

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 pm

I love the garden railway idea, although isn't it a pain trying to keep the rails clean? I would be worried about what would happen to them if they were left outside to the elements. Leaves on the line could be a problem when they can be as big as the loco!

You should get a few more pics of the 3f. An excellent little shunter.

If you are looking for some good weather, this weekend is meant to be quite good (although I’ll believe it when it happens).

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 am

Durseytu wrote:I love the garden railway idea, although isn't it a pain trying to keep the rails clean? I would be worried about what would happen to them if they were left outside to the elements. Leaves on the line could be a problem when they can be as big as the loco!

You should get a few more pics of the 3f. An excellent little shunter.

If you are looking for some good weather, this weekend is meant to be quite good (although I’ll believe it when it happens).

Cheers,

Stuart.

Oh yes, a big pain! Each running session tends to go through phases of running in after cleaning and about lunch time the line is running sweet as a nut! We walk round making sure there is nothing fouling the track like leaves, however haven't had 0 gauge loco sized leaves yet!

The 3F is actually earmarked for sale at the moment as am downsizing my little collection to concentrate on a bigger and more detailed loco with sound et al. If the weather is nice tomorrow then she might have a little run. Unfortunately as the railway is based off site from my own house, often the case is get down when we can and pray the weather holds out!

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Hooray (tempting fate)! The weather is dry enough to get some decent running in;

So far the layout has seen the Q1, Prairie, B4, B1 and a Class 33 round it.

Scope for later to have 5526 on goods, 33001 on goods, B4 on goods, B1 and 33 on pass and have a right little goods train event :D

More photos expected too!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hello Tom, just a quick note to say you just cost me £5 on lotto tickets! :lol: Just my cup of tea, although i simply can't afford and do not have my own place to to run 0 gauge, but loving the pictures you've posted, great stock, especially for me the Q1, and also set in a place not a million miles from where i crash-landed on earth in the mid 70's, Well, Dorset. :lol:

Keep updates coming, even if i don't get 5 or 6 numbers this weekend, i can enjoy what you are doing with your stuff there. Excellent, 1st Class, Tip-Top sir. 8)

regards

Terrier

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Great looking layout you are building.
Apologies if it has been highlighted elsewhere but is your layout wired for stud contact?

Lovely stuff this O gauge, a mis-spent youth reading Model Railway Constructor from 1981 aged 10 meant that a lot of my modelling heroes are O gaugers...
Deryck Featherstone's 'Wingham Diary' was essential reading for me.
Last edited by ceejaydee on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Christopher D.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:23 pm

ceejaydee wrote:Great looking layout you are building.
Apologies if it has been highlighted elsewhere but is your layout wired for stud contact?

Yes it is, one of the insistants of the guy whos garden it is located in is to use this nearly obsolete system, which is great if building pointwork from scratch, which we have done. The downside being every locomotive has to have a pickup skate fitted, which can sometimes be a right pain!

More photos shortly

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Some nice Southern stock there :)
Is there a track plan of any description?

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:57 pm

More photos of todays running at the request of Dan to get some more stills of the Prairie :D

Will knock up a track plan as asked and post asap

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:00 am

Well the week is over and PedanticMongrel's stock has left the railway, as have some of my items for abit of maintenance and a couple for sale. Hopefully more (at least one!) running sessions in September. Any ideas for a themed event welcome :D

Track plan on its way, also!

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:32 am

tom92240 wrote:Well the week is over and PedanticMongrel's stock has left the railway, as have some of my items for abit of maintenance and a couple for sale. Hopefully more (at least one!) running sessions in September. Any ideas for a themed event welcome :D

Track plan on its way, also!

Theme'd events? if we're talking next year as long as an Auto train or Auto sandwich is timetabled in it will be all good, not mention some hellfire castle barkage!!!

Also here is a "cabride" of the line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Nj84naf5I
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Image :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”