St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi to any readers,

After mulling over a few ideas in the 'Planning' threads I've reached the stage where I can include here as having taken delivery of some curves I've been laying out the basic track plan. Very simple, just an oval using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd radius curves to give a smooth transition from the main viewing straight to pass through holes to a loop behind the backstand where one train can be stopped and another sent out in the oposite direction.

So what have we - a 6' x 3' area split into two 3' squares. The track to be elevated to a height of 3.5" above the base board to allow for a curved viaduct/bridge of three spans with part of the track elevated above the West Country village scene of indeterminate dates between 1927 - 1955 (depending what traffic I decide to run.

So a few pictures :-
1st showing the passage hole at 3.0 inches - the track bed will add the extra 1/2"

The beginning of a 12 month journey into the unknown !!

Geoff T.
Black-Marlin

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post by Black-Marlin »

After studying your baseboard, I'm still finding it hard to decide whether you're building a model railway or the world's most awesome game of whack-a-mole! :lol:

Will be watching this one, as I watch your other projects, with interest...

Regards,
Gavin
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

I am looking forward to this thread already Geoff.
I really enjoyed reading "Two Short Planks" every few days, even if it did just frustrate me at how easy you made it look!

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image
emt_911

Post by emt_911 »

It's not for Whack-a-Mole, it's the newest way to feed all the kids at breakfast time without them leaving the table :?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi All,

Paint the cutouts browny colour, cover in fat & fry - the kids'll think they have burgers !! Perhaps it's giant woodworm in my garage ??

No, it's simply a case of taking surplus weight out because with the trackbed up on 3" x 12 mm ply supports and being 12 mm thick, then the added weight of side boxing, plus strengthening ribs to help me with the land contours it's going to be heavy !! What's the point of having a solid sheet? - none - IF I were a carpenter it would be an outside box with only the creek bed at the lowest level.
Next job is to get that trackbed up on it's stilts, or at least that's what it'll look like to start with.
Remember this one could go badly wrong !! I'm living on the edge .......

Geoff T.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Dad-1 wrote: Next job is to get that trackbed up on it's stilts, or at least that's what it'll look like to start with.
Remember this one could go badly wrong !! I'm living on the edge .......

Geoff T.
Are you using the Woodland Scenics foam risers? Apparently they're excellent.

G
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

No Gavin, that would cost money !!

I'm using 12 mm thick ply stilts cut from free ply ....... good quality ply as used in a certain railway carriage works near to me for flooring. By a sheer fluke a friend (who used to work there) had several lengths of 3" wide offcuts which is exactly my requirement.

As it's cold and we've had a few heavy showers today I can see no more progress this week. Out to a Northampton show on Saturday, then the G.P on Sunday !!
Also taking her indoors away for a couple of days this coming week. All conspires to slow me down !! I wanna get that track layed and working ................

Geoff T.
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Dad-1 wrote:No Gavin, that would cost money !!
Now you're sounding like my father!
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

I see someone has a craving for a roundy-roundy, well thats an advantage of buying 4-2-2's they go round sharper curves than most locos. :D
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Yep Pedantic ......

I'm going to blame it all on you !! - Even thought about wiring with some isolated sections so I could run both DCC and analogue !! I do have a very bottom rung Hornby analogue controller that came with the "Westen Spirit" set I bought for the grandchildren and that could be used for 'running in' before chipping new locos.
Gavin that's why i'm Dad-1 ........ Or perhaps it should have been Grandad-1 ??

Geoff T.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

oooo......another project by geoff, this is set to be good :D :lol: ;) :P

A look forward to seeing this progress :P (ya see, I love whack-a-mole :P perhaps you could make a slight modification and use class 47's instead of moles, they just as bad :P ;) :lol: )
sorry went slightly off topic there :?

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Lewis Nash

Post by Lewis Nash »

So youve got yourself a trackmat style layout under construction
Cool,looking forward to seeing this one develop! :P :)

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

yet another layout from you geoff, which will be on my watch list!!

cant wait to see it progress :wink:

Hammy

(darn it, i miss my roundy roundy. ive got a feeling watching this will force me to pull my finger out! :oops: )
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Well Guys you've helped in an unexpected way.

I think I'll have a small road name plate calling the hill out "Mole Bank". So now Station Road will be the small no through road from the tight bend out under the viaduct. Mole Bank going out past the pub, and High Street running up over the level crossing ( you won't see anything of High Street as it'll all be off scene).
Just sounds ideal don't you think? ...... The pub was going to be the Red Lion ('cos it'll be easy to do the pub sign), but I think calling it the 'Mole Catcher' would seem rural enough to be backwaters Cornwall !! and of course located on Mole Bank ...... Great ..... all matches in with my sense of humour !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

1st attempt to produce a suitable pub sign .....
Not very good I know, but I'm not good on computers

2427 I can't seem to find this image, I think it was trying to create a pub
sign for "The Molecatchers Arms"

Back to the drawing board I think !!

Geoff T.