A quick wiring question

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
bombastic

A quick wiring question

Post by bombastic »

Hi chaps,

Just wondering if I could ask your advice on my layout plan below. Do I need to worry about any sort of insulated sections, or can I just go ahead and wire up all over? As far as I can tell, there's no reversing sections or anything like that.

Many thanks indeed,

Andy
Itsonlyme

Re: A quick wiring question

Post by Itsonlyme »

not if your using dcc, this does away with that, you may need some insulated rail joints but that depends on what points you are are using, if your using electrofrogs i found this very handy http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm, the most important thing is to make sure you have power to all that track, i made a simple bus using copper strips and soldering wires to it.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

bombastic wrote:Hi chaps,

Just wondering if I could ask your advice on my layout plan below. Do I need to worry about any sort of insulated sections, or can I just go ahead and wire up all over? As far as I can tell, there's no reversing sections or anything like that.

Many thanks indeed,

Andy
Hi Andy
No reversing section in the drawing and no need for any insulations if you're using insulated frog points e.g. Peco Setrack, or Hornby points in "OO".

If the points are live frog (Electrofrog), then I recommend every set of points has a insulated rail joiner or Insulated fishplate installed onto the end of the Vee rails leading away from the frog and new track feeds installed after these as required.

With Insulated frog points you will need to either fit the Hornby Electro point clips assuming its "OO" to all the points, or do as suggested and install a DCC bus and from this feed as many sections of track as practicable. The DCC bus of course also would also be used with live frog (Electrofrog) points.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Nothing to do with DCC as such. Are you really planning to have no connection between the outer loop and the inner loop? Just one extra pair of points as a crossover between the outer and inner loops, and the operational possibilities increase very significantly.
Speed Whisker

Post by Speed Whisker »

It looks as if you've overstretched your piece of flexitrack at the bottom. It turns dark red to signify this in Anyrail. :)
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.
bombastic

Post by bombastic »

Ah, yep, that was an older version of the plan. Not much change, but it's below for your perusal. Any suggestions/comments? There's going to be a station on the bottom line, and then some sort of engine shed on the middle sidings with a brewery/industrial scene on the two sidings above that. Town scene above the fiddle yard keeping it out of sight. That's the plan anyway... :)