Telephone wire suitable for droppers?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mac_xpert

Telephone wire suitable for droppers?

Post by mac_xpert »

Hello all

I'm about to start wiring for DCC. As i have a drum of multi core telephone wire, i'm considering using it to wire droppers from the track to the DCC bus. Do you think this will be upto the job or do i need a larger gauge cable than telephone wire?

Thanks

Matt.
craw607

Re: Telephone wire suitable for droppers?

Post by craw607 »

Hi mac-xpert
Reading previous post most have recommended 16/0.2 for droppers
that is what I have used.The knowledgable members will correct me if I'm wrong.
John
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

You could use such wire, but you may need more droppers
It also depends on what voltage and current your setup is going to apply
Personally, go with the specification that is recommended and not what you have available
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

Telephone wire is designed for 50vDC battery voltage from exchange and 90vAC ringing current. The problem is it's designed for use on extremely low current systems so isn't really suited to higher current AC applications such as DCC demands. I wouldn't really recommend the stuff for a OO DC layout given that some locomotives can draw in excess of 1A or for point motor control either, but for DC N Gauge with it's much lower current demands it's pretty well suited. For wiring any gauge that is going to use DCC I'd use something much heavier duty, car audio cable is a good choice given the huge currents it needs to sustain and price that you can obtain it in quantity.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
sol

Post by sol »

Zunnan wrote:Telephone wire is designed for 50vDC battery voltage from exchange and 90vAC ringing current. The problem is it's designed for use on extremely low current systems so isn't really suited to higher current AC applications such as DCC demands. I............
While the telephone wire was designed for 50vDC working, it does carry 1 amp at 50v withoput problems for short runs & droppers are normally short runs. Most modern locos draw under half amp ( 500mA) & if all tracks are dropped to the bus below, it does mean that voltage & current are no real concern. All metal fishplates can also be bonded with a fine wire so each length of track is basically fed 3 ways- dropper plus each bonded join. If in doubt, use two wires per dropper. Point motors could use , depending on the method of power supply - AC, CDU or Masterswitch, can use anywhere from 2 to 4 wires per. If you have the wire at no cost, it can be used but if you have to purchase wire, then get recommended sizes.
regards
Ron Solly
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Zunnan wrote:I wouldn't really recommend the stuff for a OO DC layout given that some locomotives can draw in excess of 1A or for point motor control either, but for DC N Gauge with it's much lower current demands it's pretty well suited
The droppers, depending on their spacing, can take anywhere from the minimum to the maximum current that your transformer can supply
Even on N gauge, you need to design this around the most powerful decoder you have
You need to check the specifications of each one

If your droppers are spaced well apart, say 5 metres, then they may have to cope with 5A
However, with droppers spaced extremely close together, then they may only have to cope with 1A (or even less)
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC