Moving to DCC

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Itsonlyme

Moving to DCC

Post by Itsonlyme »

Well as i decided that the controllers i have are actually older than me i would get myself a new controller like my grandad had (gaugemaster DC control) however i decided perhaps this is the perfect time to move onto DCC, better now while i only have a small selection of trains to upgrade (8). After looking through this forum i have to say im more confused than when i started out, trying to decide on the controller seems far harder than i had first thought, do i go with the hornrby basic knowing that in X months i may want to buy a much better model? the EZ Command Dynamis or something else? im really not sure i want to be spending £150 on a controller :?

The other confusion is what decoder do i actually need? all but one of my engines are DCC ready but how many fuctions do they actually need, none have sound or lights (as i only have steam engines at present), i did atleast gather not to bother with the hornby decoders!

So any help here would be great, cheers in advance :)
Flashbang

Re: Moving to DCC

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
My advice is to stay away from "Train set" manufactures DCC control equipment.
IMO the best DCC starter set is the NCE PowerCab retailing around £128 to £132ish.
Examples...
NCE PowerCab-1
NCE PowerCab-2
You won't ever regret buying it and if later on you want to run more locos its easily upgradable.
I don't have one as I use a MRC Prodigy Advanced system but that retails in the UK for around £199 to £230ish.

Technically if your locos don't have any lights, smoke units or other on-board powered items fitted, then you only need a "Motor Only" decoder without any functions. But the vast majority of decoder manufactures always include at least 2 functions and some have 4 or 6 functions. Normally the amount of functions on the decoder won't matter, unless you want to use more than is supplied.
Again my recommendation is to try and avoid budget decoders. Though there are plenty of users who are quite happy with their Hornby or Bachmann decoders, including myself with the Bachmann 3 function. Note; Bachmann decoders are two or three functions while the Hornby is a four function.

My recommendation is to look at decoders from TCS (they offer a one year Goof Proof warranty), Digitrax or Lenz
Last edited by Flashbang on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

I had a look at the prices and all i can say is ouch! £400 is a hell of alot of money, im curious however, what exactly is the advantage of using say a lenz over a bachman decoder (which hattons claims is a made by lenz), thankyou however for clearling out the functions for me, honestly i had never even considered smoke units being linked with dcc, that does sound very cool!
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Itsonlyme wrote:I had a look at the prices and all i can say is ouch! £400 is a hell of alot of money, im curious however, what exactly is the advantage of using say a lenz over a bachman decoder (which hattons claims is a made by lenz), thankyou however for clearling out the functions for me, honestly i had never even considered smoke units being linked with dcc, that does sound very cool!
Hi
£400?? The NCE PowerCab is £128 from Bromsgrove.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for and that's just as true with decoders!
The Bachmann 3 function (Both 8 pin and 21 pin) are a reasonable budget range decoder. But don't expect to be able to fine tune motor control etc. by many CV adjustments.
I have several Bachmann locos which I have used their 21 pin decoder in and they all run well, but I can't adjust mid range voltage or as these are diesel outline locos, reduce the brightness of the head/tail lights etc by tweaking CVs.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Sorry i meant for a complete move to DCC it would be £400, not just the controller.

To be honest i didnt even know you could finetune the motor control, but i can certainly see the advantage to using a more expensive decoder, i have seen adjusting the CV mentioned but i honestly didnt have a clue what was meant by this, thankyou for explaining that to me, so from your answer it really more about how much freedom i need as well.
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Itsonlyme wrote:Sorry i meant for a complete move to DCC it would be £400, not just the controller
Still not sure where you are getting the £400 from!

I have a Lenz Set 100, which consists of control unit, and handheld controller
Added to that is a 5A Transformer
That alone cost me £220

I then have a Gaugemaster DC controller, bought for £5 from a model club member

Each decoder then typically costs £15
So unless you have the same number of locos as myself (30 out of 54 fitted so far) you must also be considering DCC control for your points, etc
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
dieselbob

Post by dieselbob »

Hi
I've got to agree with Flashbang here, you would never regret bying an NCE Powercab, as for the price around £130.00 and if you bought 8 good quality decoders, for instance TCS T4X 4 function decoders at roughly £18.00 each you are looking at around £280.00 the lot not £400.00.
But do not go Hornby just because its cheap, Its realy good fun being able to alter the Characteristics of loco drives by messing around changing CV's, you can forget that with Hornby, and the same goes for there decoders.

Cheers Bob
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Well i think i might have over estimated the decoders slightly :oops: only a tad mind you ;)

You guys have certainly given me alot to think about, would the power cab be significantly better than the 36-505 EZ Command? im just wondering if the difference is actually worth £50, i saw some split from a set ons rails for under £80, while im not 100% sure i need a £130 controller (maybe im just a tight arse) i have certainly been put off the idea of getting a basic hornby controller i saw on hattons for £50 (in the bargains section). I have to admit that i was very tempted by the idea i could get a controller and all the decoders i need for less than the cost of the controller mentioned by flash, maybe its just cos it had bargain in big bold letters that attracted me, im a salesmen dream really.
dieselbob

Post by dieselbob »

Hi
Stop being a tight arse, as you put it.
And yes the powercab is significantly better than the 36-505 EZ Command.
Apart from the Powercab being a great system, you wont get the hump when you find you want to upgrade to a Powercab in a months time because you can't do all the things you WILL want to do.
Cheers
Bob
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Itsonlyme wrote:To be honest i didnt even know you could finetune the motor control, but i can certainly see the advantage to using a more expensive decoder, i have seen adjusting the CV mentioned but i honestly didnt have a clue what was meant by this, thankyou for explaining that to me, so from your answer it really more about how much freedom i need as well
Itsonlyme wrote:Well i think i might have over estimated the decoders slightly
only a tad mind you
I have still to "fine tune" my decoders
Make sure the system you intend to purchase CAN program decoders, as some basic ones cannot!

Some decoders come with basic acceleration and deceleration curves, so when reset that is what they use, but these can be turned off
Others lose these settings when you reset them, meaning you have to completely reprogram them for acceleration and deceleration (and my first attempt wasn't impressive!)
It really depends on whether you want realistic locos or manual control
At the moment I prefer manual control, although this is completely unrealistic as locos cannot stop on a sixpence!

How much did you think decoders cost?
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

dieselbob wrote:Hi
Stop being a tight arse, as you put it.
And yes the powercab is significantly better than the 36-505 EZ Command.
haha, ok i guess i will have to saveup abit then, i was reallying hoping to get a decent cunk of the upgrade done in one go :( well thankyou for the advise, its been very helpful, i dont think my credit card would agree however :P

m8internet wrote:I have still to "fine tune" my decoders
Make sure the system you intend to purchase CAN program decoders, as some basic ones cannot!

Some decoders come with basic acceleration and deceleration curves, so when reset that is what they use, but these can be turned off
Others lose these settings when you reset them, meaning you have to completely reprogram them for acceleration and deceleration (and my first attempt wasn't impressive!)
It really depends on whether you want realistic locos or manual control
ok, well i will certainly get something that can program, i think i want realistic in proportion to the layout, my layout is 8.5ft by 7.5ft, so i wouldnt want somethink that has only hit full speed when its half way back to the station

How much did you think decoders cost?
I was more thinking £20 plus i think i would have to pay to get a couple fitted, i dont really fancy trying to fit one a split chassis non-dcc ready one such as my royal scot :-/ i think the only ones i had comes across around the £15 mark were hornby or gauge master (must just be looking on the wrong sites).
Raider

Post by Raider »

There is also the Digitrax Zephyr which goes for around £122. It's the one I use and can program and read back the CV's and has PC connection (with an add-on).

Linky
upnick

Post by upnick »

As others have said the powercab is excellent control & a good price .... if your credit card is feeling the pinch at that it should think itself lucky the powercab is around as when i was shown NCE i ended up walking away wih the procab (£350) two locos and several other items all told £600 in two carrier bags.

Since then i bought the powercab for the other layout & havnt looked back since.

TCS are superb decoders with comprehensive instructions & a good site for help.
''Now if you'll excuse me i'm a busy man have a railroad to build''
''Building America''
sishades

Post by sishades »

I dont have the powercab but I do know that it is miles better than the ez command. Spend the extra money and you will not regret it.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Itsonlyme

Post by Itsonlyme »

Raider wrote:There is also the Digitrax Zephyr which goes for around £122. It's the one I use and can program and read back the CV's and has PC connection (with an add-on).

Linky
Thats so wierd, I was looking at a old hornby magazine and came across this and I was wondering how much that actually cost, I log and and here it is, cheers for that! Well as pretty much everyone is saying "get the powercab" i guess it would be silly od me to ignore you guys, otherwise i have a feeling i will be writing a post about how i should have listen to you guys!

Well i guess i will be spreading the cost of this over a few months, so i guess its the powercab and 3 decoders this month, i guess i could look on fleebay but its rare i find bargains other than locos, thanks again everyone, now roll on friday (payday!)