sound class25 problem Help!!

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
gingernuts

sound class25 problem Help!!

Post by gingernuts »

Hi there
I am a recent convert to DCC (1 week). I bought a class 25 sound loco which arrived Thursday.tonight it died on me. I have a few other DCC locos which I got converted and they still run, I left the 25 a while and tried again, but it is dead. It was running fine, but just started to slide and the lights and sound failed a the same time. Does anybody have any ideas why this happened? is it a common problem or something I did? the controller is an EZ basic, but the other locos are ok so I guess it cant be that. :?:

All suggestions gratefully recieved.
finally got round to making a start.
craw607

Re: sound class25 problem Help!!

Post by craw607 »

Hi gingernuts
This is just a thought and could be completely stupid
it has'nt returned to factory setting 3. This happened to my 25
once.
John
gingernuts

Post by gingernuts »

Hi John.

thanks for your quick reply. :P
No I dont think so, I tried to move it off on all the other addresses, but it stubbornly refused to do anything. I suppose I'll have to send it back as it's only 3 days old. I hope all DCC isnt like this!! it all seemed to be goin so well! :cry:
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Hello Ginger

I'm a recent convert too and have had problems with the Sound 25. I sent mine back pretty much straight away as well.
So it wont operate at all? Have you changed any of the CV's on the decoder? Were you operating any other loco's at the time that the 25 went dead?
I've had all sorts of weird things happen with sound loco's; usually when using more than one at once or when a short occurs. I lost the sound on my 25 2 days ago and when I sat it on the program track it would start up and then shut down immediately but on the main track...nothing. I reset the decoder to factory default by putting 8 into CV 8 and it was Ok again.
Also I've found that if you remove the loco from the track or switch the F1 sound off when it's on full revs strange things happen as the memory of functions is still stored in the decoder. I now make sure that all the functions are off and the engine in back to tick-over and finished it's sound loops before shutting down with F1 and removing from track.
Does the EZ have a CV programming facilty? You could try 8 in CV8 if it does or use a friends system that does have that facility.
At least you still have warranty on it. Only this morning I was thinking about returning to DC because of a fault (which was my error) with a 37 but now I think DCC is the best since sliced bread since I sorted it, so you are not alone.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi gingernuts
This is unfortunate, but like all things electronic at times it can go wrong, though most DCC is fairly bullet proof!

Do try a few things first before returning it though.....
Assuming all your other DCC fitted locos work correctly as you say they do, then this should prove the DCC console and rail connections etc are all correct. But do ensure the rails are spotlessly clean - use a track rubber to burnish them. The loco, as its brand new shouldn't have dirty wheels as yet. But well worth cleaning any others, as they will spread wheel/rail muck around. Use a fibre pencil or powered scraper and brush set - Peco PL40 for example to thoroughly clean all the wheels.

Do you know what the locos address number is? Factory set its 3, but you can alter this to anything from 1 to 9. I would recommend once its been proved to work on 3 changing it to something else.

Next, with that loco only on the rails can you switch the head/rear lights on/off with Function 'F10' on the EZ command? Yes? At least you have the correct address entered. No? recheck the loco address and retry 'F10' again. If you can get the lights to turn on/off you will know what the locos address is set to and its responding to that address.

Now try moving it a little forward and backwards - There may a delay in it starting to move and then it moves slowly and slowly increases in speed as it travels further. This is the factory pre-set inertia (acceleration and deceleration rates). ALSO does it swap around the headlight/rear lights with any change of direction being entered?
If so and with the loco stationary, now operate Function 'F1'. This is the 'sounds on/off' control. The loco should take a few seconds to go through the start up sequence and afterwards the engine sound should be at tick-over with the loco stationary. Once its ticking over, try some forward movement.
NOTE 1: Often at tick-over it wont move immediately. Initially there is a hiss of the air brakes being taken off, followed by a short engine rev up, only then will the loco move off - this can take a several seconds! Then at slow speed it will revert back to a tick over again.
NOTE 2: To obtain any engine revs the loco has to travel a fair distance and at moderate speed.
Operating Function 'F5' should after a delay of anywhere of up to some 7 seconds will increase the engine revs sound to the next level up (F6 brings the revs down to tick over), its called "Notching". Assuming these functions have been provided on the sound decoder?
Horns both single and double tones are normally operated via Function buttons 'F2' and 'F3'.

You can while the loco is running around the layout turn off the sound by operating the 'F1' button and similarly turn on again them to the same level by 'F1' again if the loco is still moving at the same speed.

Note: You cannot with the EZ Command alter any factory set CVs other than the address number (Between 1 and 9) and normal direction of travel.

If all the above fails then it will have to be returned. :(
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
gingernuts

Post by gingernuts »

Thanks a lot for your replies, Grotland and Flashbang. I tried everything I could think of a the time, it wouldnt respond to any address, I can't change the CV's (I dont think) because it's only an EZ controller. The fact it skidded to a halt under some strange power, that I couldn't control seemed to suggest some thing major. Now nothing works on it. :x So I will return it, and try again.
I love DCC which I only started with a week ago, after a visit to the local train shop.
I just hope this isn't a regular thing.

Thanks again.

at least my missus gets a trip to Ross on Wye out of it. :P
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

gingernuts wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies, Grotland and Flashbang. I tried everything I could think of a the time, it wouldnt respond to any address, I can't change the CV's (I dont think) because it's only an EZ controller. The fact it skidded to a halt under some strange power, that I couldn't control seemed to suggest some thing major. Now nothing works on it. :x So I will return it, and try again.
I love DCC which I only started with a week ago, after a visit to the local train shop.
I just hope this isn't a regular thing.

Thanks again.

at least my missus gets a trip to Ross on Wye out of it. :P
Hi
No you cant change any CVs directly with the EZ command.
You can only change address number (1 to 9) and normal direction of travel via pre set CV adjustments within the console.

It really does sound that its reverted back to its default address number of '03'. Often caused by a momentary short circuit occurring somewhere on the layout!
Or something has gone unusually wrong internally!

I would still try this check I listed previously, if possible and to perhaps save a trip back to the shop...
"Next, with that loco only on the rails can you switch the head/rear lights on/off with Function 'F10' on the EZ command? Yes? At least you have the correct address number entered. No? recheck the loco address and retry 'F10' again. If you can get the lights to turn on/off you will know what the locos address is set to and its responding to that address."

So try address '03' and see if the locos lights will turn on / off when F10 is operated?
If not, try all other 8 address numbers in turn, each with F10.
If that fails then its a trip to the shop!

Note; I'm using the 'F10' (lights on/off option on the EZ) as this shows if the loco is responding to the correct address number as it it doesn't rely on any motor control operation working. That work be the next stage, once the loco is proved to be (or not!) responding to its unique address number.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
gingernuts

Post by gingernuts »

Thanks flashbang.
I tried but is is still dead.
I rang them up this am and they were very helpful, and as the trip is now off due to the weather I popped it in the post.
hopefully the next one will behave itself.
Thanks again.
Must go and build a platform now!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I hate to say it, but there seems to have been more class 25 problems than is usual.
I had one where the sound cut out although it kept running and the lights working. It was sorted out by Bachmann by replacing the decoder.
I think you've done the right thing by sending back. No this is not the usual pattern with DCC and sound, but as has been mentioned I would always close the sound system down fully before removing from the track. Your's however sounds a bit terminal !!

Geoff T.
gingernuts

Post by gingernuts »

Hi Geoff T. thanks for your reply, I sent it off now so I'll just await the replacement. sounds like it might possibly happen again by what you implied. I did always shut it down completely before removing it from the track, ( in the short time I had it), but I suppose with the high level of technology things are bound to happen . just hope it does it while still under warranty next time!!
Cheers ,Jim