DCC bus for modular layout

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
pyan205

DCC bus for modular layout

Post by pyan205 »

So here's my first post on the forum (which I have found really helpful reading over the last few weeks).
I am building a modular N gauge layout and need to know the best way to connect the bus wire between boards.
Bus wire I am using is T&E 1.5mm with 16/02 droppers.
At the moment there are 3 boards in an oval with the idea to expand this.
What connectors could I use for the bus do they need to be able to handle a maximum load, I think for 1.5mm it says 16.5 amp?
Thanks in advance from the newbie :)
m8internet

Re: DCC bus for modular layout

Post by m8internet »

The connectors MUST be able to cope with 12v AC and 5A
I ran this by my local Maplin and it took three of them to decide what to recommend, as the majority of their connectors are for DC

We finally agreed the mains connector would be the best , albeit it is overkill but it appears to be their only connector approved for AC use
This is similar to the three pin connector you see on computers, TVs, and so on
This also provides a very sturdy and durable connector
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
I normally frown on "Mains connectors" being used for extra low voltage use, as it can be so easy for mains power to be connected accidentally to them by someone unknowing.

From the 1.5mm solid DCC bus wires, use some 32/0.2mm or similar flexible wire to take the DCC power out beyond the edges of the baseboard. Then use a two pole in-line connector to join one board to the next board.

Something like these would be ideal http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1397 I dont know how long the wires are that you'll need? But they might be long enough on there own? As each end has 150mm (6") of wire pre attached. Thereby doing away with the need for the 32/0.2mm wires!
Note these are rated at 25Amps and non reversible. So no chance of a cross connection regardless of their ELV use. :D

Can also be obtained readily from model shops who stock RC cars, boats and planes etc :D :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
pyan205

Post by pyan205 »

Thanks for the replys guys.

Flashbang, would you connect power supply to the bus midway or via one of these connectors, sorry if this is a daft question but this is 'high tech' to a novice like me :roll:

pyan
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Flashbang wrote:Something like these would be ideal http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1397
Note these are rated at 25Amps and non reversible.
We had a look at those, but some reference material showed "unsuitable for AC"
We really struggled to find any that were approved for AC
Personally, I think the manufacturers were being on the cautious side!
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

pyan205 wrote:Thanks for the replys guys.

Flashbang, would you connect power supply to the bus midway or via one of these connectors, sorry if this is a daft question but this is 'high tech' to a novice like me :roll:

pyan
Hi
I would use a pair of these at each end of the baseboard on the operators side if possible. Then its a simple link one board to the next.
As for inputting the initial DCC from the command unit onto the bus, one pair of these would connect onto the bus and the 'track output' connections from the command unit, again they would work well for this use. You would of course need to extend the wires from the plug to the command unit.
As for where to place the input from the command stations feed? It really depends on how long your overall layout is going to be? Generally, I would connect it onto the bus wherever suits you unless you're looking at bus wire runs of over 10 Mtrs! If so, then go for as near central as practicable :D

AC shouldn't come into the equation really! Were looking at around 14 to 16 volts on a very short wire run.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Flashbang wrote:Hi
I normally frown on "Mains connectors" being used for extra low voltage use, as it can be so easy for mains power to be connected accidentally to them by someone unknowing.
Have to Agree with you there
Flashbang wrote:.

Something like these would be ideal http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1397
But not here
The "Tamiya" Style connectors do not give a very good connection. They can also get very hot after only a short times useage (poor connection between the plugs I think) and they have quite a substantial resistance (another reason for the heat I think)
Most people who are serious about RC cars dump these in favour of these.
http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

Hope this helps
Last edited by Essex2Visuvesi on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
pyan205

Post by pyan205 »

Does it affect the bus performance on modular layouts if it is split and connected like this or doesn't it matter?

The size of my boards are 2 boards 6'x2' with another board 4'x2' giving 3 boards forming an oval shape at, the moment of 8'x4'. The layout will be double track with one board having sidings, one a station and a curve on the other to join the 2. Hope to expand over time but trying not to get too carried away at the moment :D
RFS

Post by RFS »

Robert Smith
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

pyan205 wrote:Does it affect the bus performance on modular layouts if it is split and connected like this or doesn't it matter?

The size of my boards are 2 boards 6'x2' with another board 4'x2' giving 3 boards forming an oval shape at, the moment of 8'x4'. The layout will be double track with one board having sidings, one a station and a curve on the other to join the 2. Hope to expand over time but trying not to get too carried away at the moment :D
Hi
No, no performance issue at all on a smaller sized layout as you have.
I have used the 12 way strips cut up into 2 or 4 way connectors and they do work well.
But if you did opt for them keep a watch out for two things that I found happening...
The grub screws tend to cause the inserted wire to twist and eventually, if not carefully handled, the wire will break away at the grub screw. Also the pin to open connection after many insertions and removals became weak and floppy! making a high resistance joint. Both are easily overcome, but it is something that you should be aware of. :D
noel

Post by noel »

+

I have seen systems using 4-pin Molex male/female
connectors similar to the ones supplying power to
disk drives inside computers.

They are also polarised.

+
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

i would have thought that 2mm gold connectors of the 'corally' type would easilly handle 5 amps? and if not them the 4mm ones certainly would. there are sheaths available that make fitting them together the same way every time easy. they are very similar to banana plugs without the plastic part. they may not be designed for AC? but they are used on AC motors used in RC models that are pulling 20 amps easy with no issues. http://www.e-flight.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=62 there are also 'deans' connectors, that may suffice too.
pyan205

Post by pyan205 »

Thanks for all the replies, they have been most helpful.
Pyan