Poor running after DCC conversion

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
matt1471

Poor running after DCC conversion

Post by matt1471 »

Have fitted a DigiTRAX DZ125 decoder to my GraFar 0-6-0 Pannier Tank which ran beautifully before in DC mode.

Since fitting the decoder, the loco doesn't seem to pick up its data/power from the tracks efficiantly enough to process and run. I'm happy with the internal wiring, and have confirmed all this to be correct and working.

The problem I beleive is coming from poor conductivity from the wheels upto the black wire on the back of the chassis. Has anyone else had these sort of problem??? And if so, how do I get round it?

The only option I can think of is to take a wire feed from the brass contacts under the chassis!!
Thanks
Matt
locoworks

Re: Poor running after DCC conversion

Post by locoworks »

did you get rid of the capacitor?? if you didn't?? get rid of it. also, take the wheels out of the chassis and 'tweak' the pickups out slightly to be sure that all pickups touch the backs of the wheels at full sideplay in the wheel sets. a 'sort of' test to see if the pickups are part of the problem is to see if the loco runs better on a tight curve ( set track ) in either direction than it does on a straight piece of track. if it does run better it indicates a pickup issue. the other thing with the DZ125, is that it has back EMF. the CV relating to this may need altering to turn it completely on, or completely off, or somewhere in the middle?? not all types of motor like back emf, and some love it. i don't know which the open frame farish motors prefer/need for good running. thsi is the time you tell us you have a select or EZ command and can't adjust the relevant CV?? :twisted: also check that the digihat or whatever form of brush insulation used is actually fully insulating things.
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Yup, capacitor removed and binned!!
Using a Hornby Select :?

Any idea how to change the CV value of the EMF??
I used a digihat install which is fine.
poliss

Post by poliss »

You can't change Back EMF (CV10) with the Hornby Select.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Had a similar issue the other day with an old farish GP tank. The pick ups just needed a clean and bedding in again. It runs sweet as a nut now.
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

poliss wrote:You can't change Back EMF (CV10) with the Hornby Select.
Typical!! Is this likely to be causing me my problems, or can the Select cope with Back EMF?
THE CHIEF wrote:Had a similar issue the other day with an old farish GP tank. The pick ups just needed a clean and bedding in again. It runs sweet as a nut now.
Cleaned the pick-ups...I take it by bedding in, just needs a good run??
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

matt1471 wrote:
poliss wrote:You can't change Back EMF (CV10) with the Hornby Select.
Typical!! Is this likely to be causing me my problems, or can the Select cope with Back EMF?
THE CHIEF wrote:Had a similar issue the other day with an old farish GP tank. The pick ups just needed a clean and bedding in again. It runs sweet as a nut now.
Cleaned the pick-ups...I take it by bedding in, just needs a good run??

a good run was what was meant. re the back emf, the decoder is what does the back emf, it has nothing to do with the command station itself. but what your command station can't do is adjust the CV's for back emf in ANY decoder. so the bacvk emf is what it is from the factory in the decoder. now most, if not all digitrax decoders seem to come with values set at zero or full for speed. so i would expect the back emf to be OFF as standard in the decoder. you will need a Pc programmer and software. PR3 and decoder pro would be fine, or a friend with a system that can adjust the CV's required. BUT all this assumes that back emf is the issue?? if it is just pickups that need adjusting then that should sort things.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Yep a good run will help. If the decoder has an inertia function like a lenz mini make sure its turned off till it runs a bit better.