Egroeg93's layout ~ Modern image OO gauge - Videos Added!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
egroeg93

Re: George's spare room ~ OO gauge - pics of seacow!

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 am

Heres some pics, I'll try get a video up, but i was waiting an hour for one to upload the other night, and then it failed..

A beast
Busy times.. (very pleased with the layout here)
Close up enough??
getting good at these :)

egroeg93

Re: George's spare room ~ OO gauge - New pics added!

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:25 am

no further updates until Saturday..

My question for now is, How do I paint 25 metres of track in a relatively short space of time..

sapper_k

Postby sapper_k » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:05 pm

airbrush i'd say
CONGRESS CAN MAKE GENERALS....ONLY COMMUNICATIONS CAN MAKE A COMMANDER

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:31 pm

You could use that Rusty Rail Paint applicator, paints the rail sides either black or brown depending on which kit you buy, doesn't do the sleepers but I was happy with my purchase.

As for speed it is really quick, I did one section of my layout in just over a hour or so, nice, quick & clean.

Hope this helps.

Nearly forgot, nice layout.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:01 pm

egroeg93 wrote:no further updates until Saturday..

My question for now is, How do I paint 25 metres of track in a relatively short space of time..

What is the rush?
Quality railway modelling takes time to complete sucessfully,painting with enamel paint and a ooo size paintbrush is time consuming but pays off,it leaves good results.
Or you could use this item,described in model rail magazine 'layout for a £100' in a 2007 issue,it was a bottle of brown paint which flowed through a tube to a roller so painting rails took less time to accomplish.

Regards
Lewis

Sorry just realized Mikem64 has already talked about what I was on about :oops: :lol:
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Good progress and great photos George.
Your comment about "how do I paint the rails fast" made me chuckle. I've been working on my layout for 2 years and I'm still nowhere near ready for painting rails! lol
I must say it makes a welcome change for a young lad to come on here, make good progress and take decent, in-focus pics to show everyone. I'm not knocking everyone else, just saying its nice to see. :oops: Ok, I'll shut up now before I put my foot in it! :oops:
Keep up the good work.
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 pm

hehe yehh, well my Uncle always teases me about fuzzy photos.. but you wont see any of those here!!

I'm just impatient because its taken me so long to get the board.. haha!! I'm hopefully going to get an airbrush soon.

I'll have pics of my white rose up soon!! Got it back out after it was put aside whilst i built the board.

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I've decided to add an incline and a bridged area at one end of the layout, so i've cut the skeleton of what will be a hill covering it up:

Trouble is, its only proped up at the minute with bluetack and super glue, can someone suggest how i should hold the pieces up? I tried scewing blocks of wood to each side, but its not very successful.

Also, should i use bubble wrap and mod rock, or chicken wire and papier maché?

thanxx

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: George's spare room ~ OO gauge - Building Incline

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:05 am

Bubble wrap is a cheaper option. I was about to use chicken wire but it is quite pricey per square meter. And for the framework, a simple wood adhesive should suffice as long as you glue it in place with some supporting blocks.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:58 pm

yehh.. i think that chicken wire will be a nuisance to work with..

I posted another thread on this, but has anyone here got experience of the airbrush kit in the NRM shop??

Penrhyn

Postby Penrhyn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:09 pm

You were wondering how to hold the tunnel/incline upright...easy go to B&Q and get some 90 degree corner bracketts

Dave

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm

nice one dave :)

Polyrhythms

Re: George's spare room ~ OO gauge - pics of seacow!

Postby Polyrhythms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 pm

egroeg93 wrote:Image
Busy times.. (very pleased with the layout here)

Very nice - you have excellent taste in locos! Can't wait to see what this section will look like with scenery added, and, of course, plently of weathering :p

Keep it up :)
Sam

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi

Is that EWS 60 DCC sound 60048?
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi George,
The track plan & size of this project reminds me very much of my old layout / project as it has a higher level branch line / which if i'm right can also be used as an alternative route to later re-join the mainline at another part of the layout ? Looks great, & wish you luck with this.

That hill / tunnel section is one thing also that i had to deal with, the clearances for any of the larger rolling stock looks to be very tight due to the inner overhang of mk3 coaches, class 158 or similar length wheelbases, i used hornby 628's as were used halfway inside entering the tunnel as its a very "gentle" curve to start, then a mix of 2nd & 3rd radius track of hornby & or peco.

Once clearances have been checked my method for the Hill/tunnel was to basically join all of those up-right formers together & at the outside lower sections have a bracket then bolt or screw down, or better still use a piece of 6 or 9mm ply & position either side of tracks the plywoods need to be cut to follow the route of the track curve leaving a 3cm clearance gap , now re-check clearances overhang for mk3's etc, if all is well use 4 size M5 bolt & wingnut or screw as to fix these plywood "foundations" to main baseboard . i find its best to have the bolt or screws outermost if possible & avoid the location of the uprights, mark in pencil best positions.

Now build your uprights either side checking the clearances now for the height which would be approx 6 cm minimum to clear roofs of trains, again mark in pencil thier positions placed on top of "foundations" , if all is still OK, put your "cut to shape hill top" on uprights & again mark up best positions with pen/pencil & dont glue at this stage as you may need or want to re-position something. If everything looks good you can now glue & screw hill top to uprights to foundations.

BUT the whole aim is not to glue the "foundations" to baseboard as you may need to remove the whole ASSEMBLED section to access jammed rolling stock , track cleaning , wiring, repairs, or any modifications. The bolt down areas can be easily discuised , using "manhole covers" (will add my thread link later) , all of the landscaping of this removable section can easily be done away from the layout in the comfort of the kitchen table when the wifes not using it.

:lol: (my kitchen table is always vacant as she likes the idea of boil in bag / ready meals) :lol:
EDIT: Manhole cover method & other "Scenery module work", : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19898&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p250840

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”