loco chip codes

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
wales01man

loco chip codes

Post by wales01man »

HELP PLEASE
i think i might have created my own problem and i hope someone can solve it.
i have just brought an e-z controller but the loco ive got has a hornby chip with the address 125 if im correctthe e-z only codes 1-9 so how can i change the hornby chip to a bachmann number or would i be advised to fit a bachmann chip?
im probable sounding thick i can normally solve most problems but this one is hurting my brain
craw607

Re: loco chip codes

Post by craw607 »

Hi
Relatively new to DCC but could you do a factory reset
then re-programme your decoder to a new number.
I'm sure the more knowledgable may correct me if wrong.
John
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
There should be no need to replace the decoder unless its defective.
Unfortunately, you can't carry out a factory reset with the EZ unit either!
Your ideal option is to take the loco to a model shop, friend or local model railway club and seek out someone who has a more up market DCC system. Then get them to set the address to either 3 or in the range 1 to 9. It will take less than a minute to do this, but it does need a suitable DCC system to carry it out.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
wales01man

Post by wales01man »

Thanks Flashbang
you come up with the answer 1 was expecting but not wanting ,i live in rural midwales and have no idea where i can get this done i will have to find somewhere in england when 1 next go in march

many thanks though
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

wales01man wrote:Thanks Flashbang
you come up with the answer 1 was expecting but not wanting ,i live in rural midwales and have no idea where i can get this done i will have to find somewhere in england when 1 next go in march

many thanks though
The only other thing is ask here and see if you can send the chip to someone who would be willing to do it for you.
Postage wouldn't cost much more than the price of a stamp if you just send the chip.
wales01man

Post by wales01man »

hi,
Smallman 28

you reply is appreciated that should have been obvious to me
much appreciated
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi wales01man
I assume you have tried placing it on the track, with no other locos on the tracks and then tried re addressing it to '3' or any number '1' to '9'??

If the above doesn't work. You could remove the decoder, if your up to opening up the loco. You might find it is a plug in version or its hard wired. In which case you would have to unsolder its connections to the existing wiring or the motor and pick-ups etc depending on how the original install was carried out.

The other option might be to try and force the decoder back to its default address number of '3' by applying a short circuit across the powered rails (coin on edge across the rails etc) on which the loco is also sitting, which would of course trip the supply. Then see if its reset itself to 3? Some early Hornby decoders were very prone to resetting upon a short occurring. Can't do any harm to console or loco if it doesn't work!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
martyn00

Post by martyn00 »

oh dear im not the only one who has this problem i bought a loco on the weekend with the address 78 already in it and i also have the ez command i was thinking about taking the decoder out and sending it somewhere to have done but i will wait until saturday and see if somebody can sort it out at a localish mrc.

martyn
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I would have thought the EZ command would programme decoders in the range 1 - 9 Therefore just ignore the number asigned at present and set up as you would when buying a new loco with the factory set 03 address ?

I don't have an EZ so this is just speculation

Geoff T.
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Dad-1 wrote:I would have thought the EZ command would programme decoders in the range 1 - 9 Therefore just ignore the number asigned at present and set up as you would when buying a new loco with the factory set 03 address ?

Geoff T.
But how do you get to a factory default of 3?
The EZ wont allow to write the CV value to reset the chip.
Also wouldn't you need to address the loco first to re-program it?
Maybe I am reading it wrong :oops:
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Dad-1 wrote:I would have thought the EZ command would programme decoders in the range 1 - 9 Therefore just ignore the number asigned at present and set up as you would when buying a new loco with the factory set 03 address ?

Geoff T.
Unfortunately it's not as easy as that with the EZ. According to the manual, ( http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/ez_man.pdf ) to change an address, you first have to select the loco by using its existing address - not possible with addresses higher than 9.

I have a feeling there may be a way round this but I don't know what it is.
wales01man

Post by wales01man »

I like the idea of putting the loco on the track and creating a short to get the loco to lose its setting my only worry is does this cause any problems to the controller???????????
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Don't create unnecessary shorts ... not a good idea at all.

I use a Select and can overwrite existing address ..... thought any basic system should allow that.
If you're so far out in the sticks this is going to be difficult ..... normally I say try and find a local MRS/club .... or even fish here to see if anyone lives within a suitable radius who may come or you visit, but that's probably a thin chance.

Geoff T.
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Dad-1 wrote:Don't create unnecessary shorts ... not a good idea at all.

I use a Select and can overwrite existing address ..... thought any basic system should allow that.
If you're so far out in the sticks this is going to be difficult ..... normally I say try and find a local MRS/club .... or even fish here to see if anyone lives within a suitable radius who may come or you visit, but that's probably a thin chance.

Geoff T.
The problem is the EZ controller only uses addresses 1-9 so he has no way of selecting address 125 to even change it to something else.
poliss

Post by poliss »

Addressing a loco on the Select would overwrite any existing stored address would it not? That's why the manual tells you to take all other locos off the track.
It would not change the decoder back to factory settings if any other CVs had been changed as you can't write 8 to CV8 with the Select.