Hello

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Brett

Hello

Post by Brett »

Hi,Im 46 ,from Melbourne,Hello to you all.got into N scale about 18 months ago when i was given some n scale as a gift.While im not hardcore modeller ive gotten the bug to some degree,though i find with n scale its a minute of pleasure and a minute of pain.Ive spent quite a deal of money on track and electrics,but none on rolling stock or locos,as they were provided to me,but here lays the question and the problem.The locos are all made by Lifelike,who, from what i gathe,are a middle of the range loco(they are about 5/10 years old)maker.Im wondering if i invest in a more expensive brand will the result be a less frustrating experience?by much?At present i spend more time in loco maintenece and absolute track levelling than i want.Again hello and thanks for reading. Brett.
poliss

Re: Hello

Post by poliss »

For US N scale I don't think there's anything better than Kato. Prices aren't too bad either. For reviews hundreds of locos and thier running qualities take a look at the N-Scale Locomotive Encyclopedia at http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/locos.html
Brett

Post by Brett »

thanks mate,i will assume thats a yes to my question.I was looking at Atlas an Kato.I would love a British steam,but my lhs guy wants 250plus.just too much atm.Cheers Brett
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

Hi Brett, welcome to the forum.

As stated, the Kato models are very well regarded, you may be a little disappointed with British Outline, there are many poor locos still being sold but things are getting better and we also have some excellent new releases.

It might be worth mentioning that N gauge track can be quite sensetive and extra care should be taken when laying the track, also, the use of electrofrog point will greatly improve slow speed running. If you can keep the track nice and level when laying and then keep it clean it will eliminate a lot of the stalling problems, also keep your locos clean and service them as required.

One thing I have noticed and I have seen many other people mention it is the use of metal wheeled stock and regular use of the layout, the metal wheels do not pick up as much muck as plastic ones meaning less is spread around the layout. Also, regular use tends to polish the track, my Dapol M7 (not the strongest or smoothest of engines) will quite happily pull 26 16 tonne mineral wagons around the layout at a crawling pace.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

If you are using Life-Like then I assume you are modelling US outline. Life-Like have been around for quite a while although they were bought out by Walthers some time ago, and while not the best out there they are fairly reasonable models for the price; cheap and cheerful I'd say, just like Bachmann N Scale. If you want to stick with US outline then try Athearn N, Atlas, Con-Cor, Intermountain and Kato, all make very passable models and between them cover a huge variety of locomotive types. Kato make by far the more superior locomotives but have a smaller range than Atlas.

For rolling stock look for Athearn N, Atlas, Exactrail, Fox Valley, Intermountain and Micro-Trains, all of whom make just about everything between them freight wise. For passenger cars also have a look at Rapido trains. For British outline models you are limited to Graham Farish (Bachmann), Dapol and PECO wagons (and an overpriced locomotive). You will find that most British outline models are about the same quality as Life-Like, with a lot of older generation models being quite inferior. Only one or two I would say is up to the quality of contemporary US and Euro models.

In N, track and wheels need to be kept religeously clean, and as blooregard says, it also needs to be well laid to maintain reliable running. Metal wheels help to reduce the spread and accumulation of muck and are easier to clean off, and traction tyres should be avoided as far as practically possible.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
poliss

Post by poliss »

I would also suggest that you change all your couplings from the Rapido type to MicroTrains or similar where possible as they look so much better.
phonebook

Post by phonebook »

and make sure you use kato unitrack- its "ideal for digital"
Brett

Post by Brett »

Thanks for replies guys.Yes ,ive worked out the cleaning routine,rapido coulplers and flat track business.I went to my lhs last night and had Atlas Loco for around 120,might go with them.Brett
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

kato, then atlas, though they look very similar internally?? lifelike??!! :shock: , not really upthere i'm sorry to say. same with some off the older bachmann stuff.
Brett

Post by Brett »

got to ask,whats outline refferring?does it mean trains that go outside the city?ive never heard this term.BTG
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

I think I used the term to relate to the prototype your modelling. So British outline would refer to modelling a railway based in Britain using British locos and stock, really its the theme of your layout. Obviously scenery, buildings, vehicles, locos and stock change depending on the area your modelling, with N gauge you are also changing scales between the different areas.

I dont know whether or not its the correct word but one I have seen used many times.
poliss

Post by poliss »

Outline just refers to the outside shape of the models as the inside is not like the full size real thing. As an example a real steam locomotive doesn't have a massive electric motor inside it.
blooregard

Post by blooregard »

I dont think it means that dude, outline is used to describe the prototype your modelling. For example, the following line is the first line on Farish's wikipedia entry :
Graham Farish produces large quantities of British outline model railway equipment in N gauge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Farish
phonebook

Post by phonebook »

i think you'll find the outline is the one that leaves the station
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

'Outline' when describing a model railway refers to the appearance/setting of the layout, in much the same meaning as outline means when referring to a sketch or drawing. US outline is based on American railroad practice with suitable scenery, trackplan and stock. British outline is based on British prototypical practice; and so on, and so on. Simples.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.