NRM Article - Making cheap, easily shaped, easy rock faces!

Articles which have been added to the main site
shaun 2009

Re: How to make cheap, easy and custom rock faces!

Post by shaun 2009 »

hi im shaun 2009 iv tried to make a rock face ceanary because iv got a 00 gauge track and its 6ft by 4ft wide and just carnt get it to look right if u could help me that will be good :ink:
thanks
shaun 2009
myklo

Re: NRM Article - Making cheap, easily shaped, easy rock faces!

Post by myklo »

That's excellent, here's another idea that I came across recently. Cut a piece of fairly thick paper to the size you need and paint it with a dark grey poster paint or similar, then crumple it up - you may need to try a couple of times to get it right, you can vary the size of the relief created by the amount you crumple - then smooth it out and with an almost dry brush lightly brush over the surface with a lighter colour paint, or several different colours. The paper rockface can then be simply stuck in place and using the same method you describe with scatter etc to blend it in. The two methods will work well together I suspect.

Myklo
mcnaugg

Re: NRM Article - Making cheap, easily shaped, easy rock faces!

Post by mcnaugg »

Hi

Regarding the comment about the fumes from the P/strene being toxic I know that many years ago when working for BT they were using cables with a PTFE insulation in the cable (MDF) rooms and after a couple of years it was discovered that when soldering these cables the fumes from the insulation caused what came to be called Polymer Fever and as a result the use of these cables were stopped or restricted to cable wrap installations.