Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jim S-W

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post by Jim S-W »

My Back scenes have been printed onto self adhesive vinyl and most of them mounted to the boards.  Just the last one still to do.  I used a local company who kindly did a couple of test prints so i could tweak the colours.  Anyone local to Stourbridge area who are after something similar I can highly recommend them - https://www.sacgraphics.co.uk/core/arti ... pageid=304 SAC Graphics

Below is how it looks in something close to the intended light.

Haven't done a bit of photoshopery for a while but i found a pic of a Deeley tank in a cloud of steam and thought I'd emulate it
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Jim,

Oh yes, I really am attracted to the brolly on the bridge scene.
A wet evening in Birmingham.

Geoff T.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

What's not to like. Same as Geoff, I like the brolly on the bridge shot, the phone box too, with it's door that you couldn't close in a hurry. :)
Pete.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

With a little over a month to go before Brettell Road is back on the road*, I've been finishing a few things off.

The last backscene is now in place so the road in the middle of the layout now gives the impression it goes somewhere. The Leyland Steer seems to have lost its licence plate somewhere.

The little back yard on board 2 is done - I wanted a used but not particularly looked after feel.

I realised I've not actually taken any images of this building in its finished state before now.

Princess Margaret heads back to the Wallows for the evening.

GWR railcar catches the last of the sun as it heads off to Dudley.

* The show is a local one on the 7th October. See http://www.cradleyheathmrc.co.uk/exhibition.html
Phred

Post by Phred »

Love the moody night/twilight scenes, especially the one with Princess Margaret. 8)
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Bit of a blatant plug.

This time next week Brettell Road will make its exhibition debut* in its extended from at the Cradley Heath exhibition

If you come along please do say hi.

Jim

*is debut the right word? would relaunch be better? :?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Jim S-W wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:12 pm... The Leyland Steer seems to have lost its licence plate somewhere...
Just needs a beat bobby with his notebook out standing by it. All the best with the show.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Yesterday Brettell Road made its return to the exhibition scene in its extended form.  The show went very well I thought and we all enjoyed ourselves. Theres a snagging list for me to work through, of course, but nothing major.  The layout seemed very well received and we were honoured to be awarded the Frank Collins Award for best layout in show as voted for by the Cradley Heath MRC committee.  Somewhat poignant for me as Frank had assisted me with info for the model of the Round Oak admin building before he passed away.  I like to think he would have approved of my efforts.  The kids seemed to enjoy themselves looking for the cats on the layout and and the strategically hidden lego Batman that the club provided.

Quick thanks to my operating team and the members of the CHMRC for their efforts.

(Pic ©Tim Horn)
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

My friend Tim has put together a short video of the layout from Saturday. It was late ish in the day and being in front of a window the layout was back lit so didn't really get the full effect I was after. (Note to exhibitions managers - I actually want the dark bit of the hall no one else does!!) However it does show up the wet effects quite nicely. I need to be a little more fastidious with the dusting in the future.

https://youtu.be/pcVUy2L6aMY?si=ffOskMM7ZJgIiimX
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You do yourself an injustice. That's an excellent rendition of grubby reality as the light goes and the rain falls.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Thanks Bigmet
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

So back to business as usual then.

This is an ex LMS 12 ton traction truck which has recently been released by 247 Developments. The kit is a 3d print which is supplied as a body with solebars, W irons, brake gear and white metal buffers. The body was a little bit distorted (kinda like a spoon shape) but popping it in very hot water and weighting it while it cooled seemed to take most of the distortion out. The back of the frames needed thinning for p4 wheels to fit (I believe the kit has been changed to rectify this now).  I replaced the sides with microstrip as they were a little uneven and added the safety loops and tie down shackles that were missing from the print. The supplied buffers were a little odd so these are Accurascale ones.   Just need to do a load for it now.

On Brettell Road I have mostly used cast white metal vacuum pipes.  Generally these have been fine but I have had some of the bufferbeam mounted ones break as they are slightly vulnerable. David Roome has now produced some 3d printed ones that are rubbery and a lot less susceptible to knocks.  Im not replacing them on all of my wagons just as and when a white metal one gets broken.

Links

https://www.247developments.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063063859649

https://underhillroad.wordpress.com/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Jim S-W wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:56 pm ...Image

This is an ex LMS 12 ton traction truck which has recently been released by 247 Developments...
Wild guess, this presumably the precursor to BR's tiny build of 4 similar looking 'Hymac'.

What traffic were these built for? There must have been some specific justification for choosing this more elaborate construction compared to a flat, but not going the whole hog of the significantly lower load deck provided by the various Lowmac designs. Curious.
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

The subject this time is this...

... the good old Mainline LMS BG.  A great model for its time but not without room for a little bit of TLC.   There is an error here that once you see it you cant un-see and that is that the underframe is too wide by 2mm.  Ive talked in the past about looking at dimensional errors as a percentage.  2mm off over the width of a coach is a much larger percentage than 2mm over its length but theres an additional factor in play here and that is relationships.  If the whole model was 2mm to wide you might (but probably wouldn't) get away with it but when only part of it is, it just looks weird. Let's be realistic here we are talking about 1mm per side but that 1mm means the edges of the solebar framing sticks out from the bottom of the body rather than tucking under it.  Also the footsteps don't line up properly but thats a minor thing.

So the options then.  You could just replace the underframe with a Comet one but at the time they were out of stock and the trussing is a flat etch so no real improvement over the one already there.   Or you could slice 2mm out of the centre of the floor and glue it back together.  The issue with this is I don't think the trussing itself is over width.  To me the simplest solution was to make a new floor from plasticard (29.5mm x 196mm) and transplant the trussing from the mainline model.  The new solebars are 4mm channel from evergreen.

So heres the model  had already done on its new underframe.  The bogies are Brassmasters with the original sideframes attached.  Buffers have been replaced with more accurate ones from Lanarkshire models.

As is usually the way for me I got a little carried away.  Why build one new floor when you can build several?  Theres a few subtle differences here such as the roof vents and footsteps.

As with any grouping of things there tends to be one member thats a little bit weirder than the others and this is it.  The diagram 1715 version.  OK it looks kind of the same but the qay it was build was quite different and actually much more like the much later BR Mk2 in that the body was where all the strength is and it didn't need a traditional underframe.  The solebars themselves are also different in that the outer face is solid. Other variations are the positioning of the roof vents, bodyside beading (which comes in a whole load of variations on these coaches anyway), the extra rain strips and the full length footboards

This is the more normal side. Note the dynamo is at the opposite end to the more standard versions.

The other side is decidedly more odd with basically next to nothing there. It almost looks like the model hasn't been finished. Note also the steps on the bogie.

Just a quick note to thank Mark Tatlow and Graham Speechley for their help locating images of the diagram 1715 version.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Jim S-W wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:50 am My friend Tim has put together a short video of the layout from Saturday. It was late ish in the day and being in front of a window the layout was back lit so didn't really get the full effect I was after. (Note to exhibitions managers - I actually want the dark bit of the hall no one else does!!) However it does show up the wet effects quite nicely. I need to be a little more fastidious with the dusting in the future.

https://youtu.be/pcVUy2L6aMY?si=ffOskMM7ZJgIiimX
Thoroughly enjoyable. :)
Thanks for the ink Jim.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread