Baby Deltic / class 23

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Phipps

Re: Baby Deltic / class 23

Post by Phipps »

I don't know what the livery was for this actual locomotive,but it says this was living at the Railway Technical Centre before it was sent to Doncaster to be cut up.Aren't their locos corporate blue with some red applied?
I'm just glad to get the small yellow panel version without that long,stark yellow nose & now I've seen one close-up,it has surprised me(very heavy for a Bo-Bo too,so expect it to be a good puller).
Like I mentioned.,I'll be eating humble pie for the rest of the year,but worth the whole of the March budget :wink:
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

D5901 remaind in green with a small yellow, so listing it as RTC livery ius a bit of a con, unless its fictional in the livery Phipps just stated! (might be worth a look at that......)
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Well My Blue baby deltic has performed excellently ever since I bought it. My Brighton Belle however has taken up March , April, May June, etc., etc.,'s budget! :roll: :cry:
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
D306Whistler

Post by D306Whistler »

I got mine from Warley last year. I do like the model overall but I have had to reapply a couple of cosmetic parts back on the model which was a footstep to the cab and a diagonal bar that goes on the large grill on one side :?. I was a bit miffed somewhat to expect this from a near £100 pound model but its nothing that couldn't be fixed anyway ;). All in all, I am a modeller and not a collector so some dregs of glue being visable won't matter to me.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008
DP2

Post by DP2 »

The Heljan Baby Deltic is a truly outstanding release only slightly let down by the fonts on the Head Codes they don't look quite right. But I like can live with that.

DP
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Waiting patiently for the version I remember in service, the original disc headcode EE type 2. These were going to enable the B1 and L1 steam locos to be replaced on KX outer suburban service; well, that was the theory. 'Interesting' sound, like nothing previously heard on the railway; not until the HST are we going to hear a fast running diesel like that again. I can see the reconstituted type 23 that enthusiasts are building being very popular on any preserved line which runs near housing...

But they just were not robust in BR service. Funnily the EE type 1 or 'Thousand Horse' which had barely less power, but no steam heat, proved able to do the job - but only in summer when no carriage heating was required - and these were to go on and on and on in service; probably the best of all the pilot scheme types and of course derived from an earlier design built for export. EE hadn't ironed out the type 2's engine into such a good production job. Wonder if the reconstituted unit will hold up in preservation service?
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote: EE hadn't ironed out the type 2's engine into such a good production job. Wonder if the reconstituted unit will hold up in preservation service?
emmmm that T9/29 isn't in the best of health due to it been seezed solid for many years. I've no idea if marine T9/29 parts are a direct swap or not, but if they arn't we're in trouble as theres no spares.
The class 20 V8 SVT engines were just too heavy for the class 23s style of construction. In hindsight they should have built them like the class 21s or 24s etc and fitted a CSVT 1250 bhp version of the V8. We probably would have seen hundreds of them.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Patient waiting has paid off, an original baby deltic; and at £104 less than the 'at release' price of the rebuilds 2 years ago! So that's a double surprise, first that this small class with limited service area, life and reliability even got a RTR model, and second that the price has come down. Keeping a keen eye on the sky for avian pork.
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Bigmet wrote:Patient waiting has paid off, an original baby deltic; and at £104 less than the 'at release' price of the rebuilds 2 years ago! So that's a double surprise, first that this small class with limited service area, life and reliability even got a RTR model, and second that the price has come down. Keeping a keen eye on the sky for avian pork.
Had to read that twice as the missing comma made it seem like the bargain of the century :D :D :D
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I shall try and work in some more accidental ambiguities to keep you entertained...

Meantime the BD is keeping me very entertained. Good model all around, Heljan on top form with this one. Performance is quiet and super reliable; a considerable difference from the real thing which fully lived up to the 'baby' part of its name, much loud wailing, frequent bouts of one complaint or another.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Not one gripe about mine,even with the headcode anomoly.As a runner,I found mine faultless....
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The traction is way beyond what is necessary. With a weight of just over 600g it can pull the side out of the proverbial house. The quick and dirty test I have done suggests that it will pull past 40 coaches on level track.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Are the NEM pockets at the correct height, or are cranked couplings required as with most[?] other Heljan locos?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Now at the bargain price of £69 at Hattons. A gloss D5900 with frosty the snowman grills sat in front of me as I type ;)
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

D605Eagle wrote:Now at the bargain price of £69 at Hattons. A gloss D5900 with frosty the snowman grills sat in front of me as I type ;)
....and I can assure you its a superb model too.
Dare I say, better than the real things were :D