Foam Underlay

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Nick Hanson

Foam Underlay

Post by Nick Hanson »

Hi
Does anybody have any experience of using hi density foam for underlay. I don't mean the Peco type with pre-cut sleepers but the stuff you can get that's on a sheet at either 3mm or 5mm thickness so you use as you would cork. New baseboards arrive tomorrow and was looking to order some underlay - or do I really need any underlay. Sound is not an issue as it will be a depot layout with all the loco's fitted with soundcards. Some of the layout will be concrete/tarmac to rail level and some plain ballast - anyone got any advice

Nick
Paul-H

Re: Foam Underlay

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

Personaly I wouldn't bother with the underlay, sound deadening properties are minimal if any, the only use is to raise the track to give a thicker ballast effect but that again is a personal thing.

Mind you when you lay it correctly the new Gaugemaster foam underlay looks quite effective. itsfoam with granit chippings stuck to it, and they sell the same chippings in a bag to fill the gaps when needed.

Just my oppinion though.

Paul
sishades

Post by sishades »

You may also find that after a certain period of time the foam deteriates and would need replacing. Use stone chippings, the effect is much better.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Nick Hanson

Post by Nick Hanson »

My thought process on this one was to use High Density Foam as a direct replacement for cork - then ballast traditionaly on top - wizard51 models sell the foam for model railways in 3 & 5mm - but if people think it will fall apart then i'm not really interested although i would of thought the pva and stone chips would seal everything

Nick
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

When I constructed my first layout it did not use any form of underlay
However, this was OO gauge, with the track pinned straight to the basboard with the ballast glue in place

My N gauge trial layout had cork glued to the baseboard
I found it made no difference to overall sound or performance

For my replacmement N gauge layout, now under construction, I am not using underlay
I am considering using the PECO track underlay, but then there is the issue of any trackside buildings (including platforms) will need raising and the associated issues this brings
For that reason I am likely to return to a method I know works well and looks more realistic
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

On my layout i used foam underlay. I haven't had any problems with it deteriating but i have noticed that it does dampen out the noise and it is good to have when using seep point motors :D

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
RFS

Post by RFS »

I'm building my new layout using Depron foam sheets as underlay. Cost is about £2.50 per sq m and readily available from a business seller on Ebay. 3mm and 6mm thicknesses available in grey. Certainly deadens the noise and provides a nice ballast shoulder, but don't let the ballast run down to the baseboard or it will eliminate some of the sound deadening. Given the cheapness you could cover the board with it, which I plan to do in areas where there's lots of trackwork.
Robert Smith