Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
timbologist

Re: Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post by timbologist »

Hi Mike

I have been away from modelling for a while and was surprised to see of the demise of Wordsworth, I ended up dismantling my layout and started afresh,
But your new incarnation is coming along nicely, I have not looked at all the pictures yet but will definitely do so.

The church yard and the pond-age is very impressive, You are still definitely the King of card, looking at your photo's will get me motivated again to get cracking with my layout.
Tony
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

First many thanks for all those nice comments, it's nice to know Wordsworth is still being inspected by fellow modellers.

Well this layout is certainly testing me, the track work has been down for ages now, 10 different locos have been used to test the full thing before the ballast work started & it still manages to throw a curve ball at me.

I've a brand new loco a Hornby B17 which I fitted with a Zimo sound decoder, tested fine, it's done maybe 2hrs running round the track, a full YouTube video was filmed with now issue. Then today I started to get problems with this loco as it went over the Peco streamline points, short circuits right on the frog area of the points, never happened before so why now & it only happens whilst the loco is at shunting speeds (Dead slow)

After watching the loco over the points for a few hours you could just manage to see the issue, the wheels were getting close to the opposite rail right on the frog causing a blue spark to jump rail.

After a quick search on the good old internet it seems to be a common fault with Peco insul-frog points, never had this with my old Hornby points on old Wordsworth, only issue I had at times were with short wheel based loco's like 0-6-0 stalling.

So I read a tip about using a Dremel to widen the gap between the frog area. I've some points that are already ballasted in place, so I tested it on these. Did it cure the fault ? Yes but I'm not happy with this method ass you now get a small wobble at rolling stock goes over the frog area..

I don't want to buy new electrofrog points as the points on my layout are brand new, so I've lifted a set which I've not ballasted & have converted them into semi electrofrog by cutting out the joining wire between frog & switch blades, then added some joining wires between switch blades & outer rails.

I've tested the points with a multi-meter which seems fine, need to drop off the baseboards all my seep point motors as I need to add some new wiring which will control the frog polarity.

I have six points where I've had to use Peco PL11 point motors, these as you are aware have no polarity switching, but I did see a tip whilst browsing about using micro switches against the point motor, this in turn will switch the frog polarity, I'll let you know how this turns out as I've just placed an order for a pack of ten switches.

What a load of messing about all because one new loco can't cross the points correctly. Still I suppose its better to find this now before the full track work had been ballasted.

When the time comes to extend the layout I've already made a note for myself, buy electrofrog points & don't be so lazy in the wiring......LOL

So tomorrow my plan is simple, take up all the unballasted points & do the same conversion. I can then complete the last of the ballast work & get the remaining track weathering completed.

Catch you all later,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Now IF you ran diesels Mike ...........
I understand your problem well. My first layout had Peco insulfrog pointwork and my
diesels 25,31,33,37,47,50 all ran fine and that's what it was built for. Then I tried
steam locos ...... with dare I say it Hornby the worst for shorting. I tried clear varnish
to cover 1/2 the rail, it improved things, but I've now gone 100% switched frog live
points for everything since.
Still run diesels faultlessly on the old layout !!

Out of interest the gap on Peco streamline is about 1.0 mm, Hornby Set-Track 2.0 mm

Geoff T
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Geoff,

I wish I could focus in one erase as it would make life so easy, my problem is I like them all hence come to Wordsworth expect anything....LOL

Regards the frog area it is so much smaller that's why I thought this layout I'd give them a whirl, they look better.

I know I waffled on in the original post but that still wasn't the full tale. A tip on the Internet said to confirm if it is a true short you have at some insulation tape over the frog. This tip actually worked & the B17 ran across them like a dream, so thinking issue resolved I taped over every single Peco frog. Tested the full layout & I had the B17 crawl all over the layout without one single problem.

But you can guess that was not the end to this saga, I ran my Bachmann class 08, normally gives no problem at all, except now, every Peco point that I had modified the locomotive stalled & just wouldn't cross them. On closer inspection I could see the problem, the tape was thick enough to lift the locomotive off the track sufficient enough to lose contact & power.

That's why the decision was made to carry out isolating the frogs from the main track work. I'm going to do a small video showing how to carry out this modification just in case others want to do the same trick.

This new layout is fighting me at every turn, but I know it's all going to be worth it in the end.

Cheers Mike
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Mike,

If it was too easy what would you do with all the 'spare time' ?
Treating all points like live frog by using insulated rail joiners
at every frog is a nice fail safe standard.
Mind you Wordsworth II looks great even if nothing's moving !!

Geoff T.
JEFFM1947

Post by JEFFM1947 »

Point problem. Check the back to back measurement should be about 14.55 mm. I had a problem with a lot of stock jumping at the frog points on peco
streamline .
I had to widen the space between the wheels this cured the problem. Could work for you.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

JEFFM1947 wrote:Point problem. Check the back to back measurement should be about 14.55 mm. I had a problem with a lot of stock jumping at the frog points on peco
streamline .
I had to widen the space between the wheels this cured the problem. Could work for you.
Hi Jeff, I used a back to back gauge I bought from Peters spares, nifty bit of kit & simple to use, all were fine.

Anyway thankfully I can say all my issues with the points have been resolved, it's taken a while but running loco's have become fun again & not a dread like it was.

Anyone starting a layout I would recommend the use of electrofrog points, a little more time to install, but fingers crossed saves more times in the long run.

So where am I with the layout, those following me on Youtube will have seen a few minor changes, but that's because all the work I'm doing has been under the base boards. All except three points are fully wired & functional, these last three don't need doing yet until the first extension board is installed.

Also coupled up are two out of the three dapol semaphore signals, I've got them connected to a simple push to make switch, this operates the arm & an LED shows the correct colour light, really good fun when have a running session.

My plan for today once in the loft will be connect the last semaphore to the control switch, I can then put the mimic panel fronts back in place which will tidy things up a little.

Hopefully next I'll get my first coloured signals installed at the station exits, it's that long I can't remember the make of signals I bought, but they look stunning, and control of these lights will be through a control board fitted under the layout, a detector catches trains via a sensor fitted between the track running the signals through their colour range. This should add more fun to the layout once more detail gets added.

I'll leave you with a few photo's to browse through.

This is why not much change at the top, wiring under the boards taking up my time.

You just have to love this A4, screams I'm a lady, not a tramp.....LOL

This is a view missing from the old layout, these extension tracks will give a much better running space.

Old Droopy Dee face, the classic Deltic waits at the signal, this one is Black Watch.

The main Junction view east side of the station, a slight sweep rather than a 100% straight line, I love it.

Well I hope you enjoy & I'll catch you all later.
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Nice to hear from you again Mike. Wordsworth is looking great, somehow you are managing to get more features in without it looking cramped, Obviously it was "bubbling under" all the while until you decided you had to start again. Great stuff
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi John,

That's exactly what I was hoping for, I loved my old layout but with this new version I've aimed at using less track work to give a more open feel. Once I can extend down off both sides of the base boards I think it really will give the layout the space it requires, trains will look like they are going somewhere rather than just round & round (Which is fun also, I still love watching one train even now chugging by)

So where am I at present, nice to say some more scenic work completed, also had some new fleet additions with a recent purchase of the Bachmann 2004 limited edition A2 Sir Walter Scott & class 40, both excellent runners, the new diesel depot will look great with the growing diesel fleet.

I love how quickly the layout changes its image just by adding some green stuff, all those idea's I've had bouncing round my head are starting to take shape nicely on the layout, those trains are going to look super as they pass by...LOL

Had a seep point motor fail Sunday, been great up until I ballasted that section, aint that always the case, took approx 1hr to finally find out what the problem was, the motor part was fine it was the frog switching part that had failed, so all the loco's kept stalling at the frog, because it had just been ballasted you automatically believe thats what the problem is......No after testing the motor off the layout & on the lay, traced the fault to an intermittent switch, that little disc that moves between the connection strips. New seep fitted & all fine again.

So they say pictures say more than words, lets have a look at the photo's.

Sir Walter Scott joins the Wordsworth fleet.

Also joing the fleet a second class 40, already had fun double heading with my other unit.

Crazy Joe found his way back onto the layout, taken up residence end of platform 2, Rail company not happy....LOL

Grassed area then continues round passed the working signals in the background.

A new paddock goes in for the farmers fields, some live stock & wheat field if it all goes well.

I've got the farmers tractor crosssing installed & all weathered down.

Then I thought about the farmers animals, they need drinking water so a small pond is being created.

I've added some trees to see how many I need before addding the grass & realistic water, also toned the stone wall down using the airbrush.

After all that work I thought a take away from the hotdog man would be good....LOL

So my task over the next few days will be seal the pond area with acrylic varnish, I can then addd the realsitic water just like I did round at the church pond.

Hope I've given you all some fun in this update & I'll catch you all again soon.
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Crazy Joe's ....... shouldn't it be Crazy Mike's ?
Always enjoy seeing what you've been up to, even if we have
to wait a month ...

Geoff T.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

New ? layouts looking good, plenty on new features, Double headed class 40's, now there's something I've never seen, double 31's, 47's and even triple Deltic's, but never double headed 45/46's or 40's, now that would have been a sight to see.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Well here we are again with yet another layout update, nothing massive I'm afraid but at least movement in the right direction. So this time work continues around the new animal paddock & corn field idea.

In the animal paddock I've used Woodland scenics realistic water for the watering hole, then the usual Woodland scenics scatter & clump foilage / underbrush. Then for the wall climbing shrubbery I've used Heki products as they look so realistic in my opinion to anything esle on the market.

For the hay field I'm testing out the old favourite of mine, teddy fur. Not sure if it will remain as I've got to tie this in with some WWS 2mm static hay which I've ordered along with some Preiser field workers (These have now arrived from my ebay order). If it all goes as I've envisaged I should end up with a very nice camemo piece.

I then can't come any further forward on the baseboards with the scenery until I complete the back baseboard section around the station / Rockware glasss buildings.

So it's photo time again.

Lets start with a Bachmann 08 passsing the area being worked upon.

Here's my hay field attempt with the farmers worst enemy, a 100 year old Oak tree slap back in his field.....LOL

Looking over the wall into the animal paddock with watering hole.

I've had an attempt at tractor tracks between the gates.

Found my farm buildings which my daughter & son-in-law purchased for my old layout, they just had to go back into the theme.

Here the herd starts to make it's way back after milking....Watch those trains girls.

Finally it's drinking time for the herd.

Well there we have it, hope you all enjoy these latest pictures, I know I do & when I need that pick me up during the day it's nice to have a quick peep.

Cheers Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Mike the new Wordsworth has got a more open feel to it, I like it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Well after the last update I've not been back into the loft, I have been busy working on a new building for the layout instead. Whilst I was doing the scenic work around the farmers paddock & corn field I suddenly realised my Grand Station which was designed for my old layout didn't quick catch the feel I want for this new version of Worthworth.

Yes the station looks grand & impressive but when sat next to the extra long platforms on my new layout it some how feels very small, so I thought I need something bigger, as big as the Rockware / Factory building. So that was it I just needed to break away from the scenic work to test my theory.

It's taken a while but I've finally got the new look which I feel is better, now to turn the 2d plan into a full 3d building, so the test build has started & below is the main entrance, not fully finished but give the look I'm after. The only funny side to this building is I'll never see this view as this sits against by backscene, it's the platform side I'll get to view.... :? So why design something I'll never see ? I know it's there, but also I need this ection so I can upload to the kit site. Another modeller might have the station the opposite way round like I did at North Fangore where the platforms were behind the main fascia & the platforms were against the backscene.

Anyway here is a quick peek at the new Wordsworth Station Fascia.

The main entrance to the platform is via the lobby area.

Ive tried to give the lobby a nice look by not only having a tiled floor but a good looking ceiling.

This is the new station fascia access via some steps.

Main station fascia from a slight angle.

Well that's the end for this update, hopefully my next upload willl show the platform view along with the two side extensions.

Until then, keep on building
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Well after being cut off by Photobucket I'm testing my new Flickr account, I can't upload using the new Java uploader as all I keep getting are time outs, but luckly there is still the old version available which I'm using for this test photo.

Image20170701_101341 by Michael Martin
I've created a new corn field & added some figures as they harvest the field

I'm not sure if I've copied the link correctly so if I've made a mistake let me know. I'll then start adding photo's into my new account for all to view.

Cheers Mike.