Mikol's Layout 'Ashdale Valley'!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mikol

Mikol's Layout 'Ashdale Valley'!!

Postby Mikol » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:24 pm

**UPDATE** 20/08/06

Crazy pics on page 3!

hey guys. I've kinda neglected this thread, so i thought i'd crack out the camera and take some cool pics in and around my layout. Well, as you can probably tell i like my photography, but I'm not quite David Bailey! Anyways, heres some up-to-date view around 'Ashdale Valley' ;)

First, a general overview of the layout. a typical 6x4 board with a 3 inch extension at the front (to hold the track supports. i blame hornby virtual railway ;))

Now some of the creative shots, the first of which is of two of the many sidings around the layout, empty at the moment until the ballast has been glued down and made safe using the priceless 'screwdriver' method picking bits off the track.

An overview of the sidings looking from the place where it joins the main-line

A scenic shot of the foliage on the hill pictured in the snap above

The view from the same hill looking across the girder bridge that links both hills on either side

The view from the opposite hill, looking down onto the town

A similar shot from the roadside, showing the route the road takes over the contraversial 'bent bridge' and into the station area.

And at the bottom of the road, once the driving surface has levelled out again.

A photo, of the bridge, showing two class 06's taking a midland mainline train into the station

The signal nearby:

The second signal telling trains which route they'll take into the terminus, before the backdrop of the busy station area

A long rake of wagons breezes past the station

A few BP tankers take a time out at the station

The ever-amazing Intercity waits for passengers to board its cross-country service

And the same train parked up showing the low security around the quiet station

The same train as photographed from the opposite side

And again along with a Midland Mainline HSt operating the through-line

And finally, the triple level crossing taking workers into the small car park next to the goods yard area.

Update-o-rama eh?

**ORIGINAL POST**
hey all.

im new here but im by no means new to the whole forum setup, im a regular on other sites that suit my interests.

just thought i'd say hello by posting pics of my little layout, it's compact but i've tried to put in as much track per square inch as i can!

you can see i've started off with the basic hornby trackmat layout and expanded the third circuit into a raised section (in an inverted figure of eight shape)

Plan:

However, i'm always looking to expand my set because, well, more track means more trains and more trains equals more fun. However, i'll have to relocate my layout to somewhere more spacious to do it.

questions? comments?
Last edited by Mikol on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.

crispycritter

Postby crispycritter » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:33 pm

I like your layout, when you add your extension on are you able to access the layout from all sides? If you can't you may have a problem reaching some of the areas
All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. George Orwell's book Animal Farm

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forum - looks like a nice layout you have there.

Not sure where you can squeeze in more track without a redesign, but I am sure you will find a way

Mikol

Postby Mikol » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:51 pm

thanks for the comments.

the current layout still needs ballasting before i think about expanding, but its good fun to draw up plans in advance :D

to answer, in numerical order-

the expanded layout will be in a T-shape, notice how there isnt any track on the left or right of the bottom expansion plan. (hornby virtual railway only lets you plan out square baseboards.) the vertical part of the t will only b 4 feet wide, so reaching shouldn't be a problem.

to expand, i'm going to take the left hand side of the elevated track nearest the camera and bring it back down to ground level, so that the track on the right passes over it. This will then make another loop which connects to three more ovals of track. elementary :D

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:30 pm

hi Mikol , nice looking layout you got so far, looking forward to see it progress :)

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi Mikol,

How long has it taken you to get to this stage?

Lofty

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:47 pm

Good to see you have an expansion plan - look forward to seeing your progress

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:00 pm

Like the layout, looking forward to the expansion plans. It's amazing what you can do with a basic Hornby track mat plan.

Neil

grippets

Postby grippets » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Welcome to the forum my friend, I like the layout and look forward to seeing it expanded

:D
Follow me on Instagram @deanstreetstation

bunji

Postby bunji » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Looking great! I especially like that roadbridge which zooms right up the hill, although I think the OAPs walking to town may have a bit of trouble getting back up it! The extension sounds like a good idea, so please do keep us updated. :D

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Should I make a comment on picture size? The mod didn't seem to mind so I won't :wink:

Looks great, you've really done well in the space you have - nice one :D

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Guess thats the problem with a widescreen laptop - things don't get stretched quiet so much.

Is there any chance you could resize the photo so that it is no more than 650 pixels wide?

Cheers

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 pm

As posted by Simon in the early days of the forum and still there for all new members to read..

Picture size

Please post pictures of no more than 700 pixels wide. Pictures larger than this make the forum expand beyond the standard screen size of 1024 X 768. Excessively large images may be removed at the administrator’s discretion.

Not that I'm trying to stir things at all Chris.. :lol:

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 pm

Whats 50 pixels between friends......................................

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Emma told me 50 pixels makes all the difference.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”