Mighty's Hornby T9 Review

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
Mighty

Mighty's Hornby T9 Review

Post by Mighty »

Mighty’s Hornby T9 Review

The prototype:

The Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LSWR, Dugald Drummond, is perhaps best remembered for his famous T9 class of locomotive. Nicknamed ‘greyhounds’ by their crews, the 4-4-0s were fast passenger locomotives that survived from first construction in 1899 to between 1950 and 1961.

66 locomotives were constructed, the first batches with narrow cabs and ‘splashers’ over the wheels, the last 15 built at Nine Elms locomotive yard with wide cabs and splashers. A number of the locomotives had watercart tenders – literally four wheel tenders rather than three, which held larger amounts of water that allowed the trains to travel further without stopping for water refills.

From the mid 1930s, locomotive 119 (BR 30119) was reserved for Royal trains.

Review – the basics:

Hornby have initially constructed several different versions, both in SR Olive Green and in BR Black, both early and late. The versions also take into account the differences in the four wheel watercart tenders.

R2690 – SR Olive Green – No. 120 – watercart tender, narrow cab
R2711 – SR Olive Green – No. 729 – 6 wheel tender, narrow cab
R2712 – BR Black (early) – No. 30724 – watercart tender, narrow cab
R2713 – BR Black (late) – No. 30310 – watercart tender, wide cab
R2829 – SR Wartime Black – No. 314 – 6 wheel tender, wide cab
R2830 – BR Black (early) – No. 30285 – watercart tender, narrow cab
R2831 – BR Black (late) – No. 30726 – 6 wheel tender, narrow cab, weathered

In addition, one T9 will be released as part of the Southern Suburban Train Pack:
R2813 – SR Olive Green – No. 312 – 6 wheel tender, wide cab, with 3 Maunsell Coaches.

Note – and ‘X’ after the catalogue number indicates that the locomotive is DCC Fitted, the absence indicates it is DCC Ready.

Cost – reasonably priced by Hornby at RRP of between £90 and £100 depending on the type of locomotive you order. If you shop around, it is possible to pick them up from £75, putting it on a par with Hornby’s M7.

Cost/Value for money: 10/10

Looks:

Quite simply, the locomotive must be Hornby’s best effort for years, and is superlative. The detail on this model, R2711 is stunning, from the carefully modelled smokebox with visible riveting and pipework to the inside cylinder motion, which must be the first time this has been modelled. (See this in the gap between the boiler and the chassis.) The cab interior is magnificent – clearly modelled, with detail even in the water and steam regulators. Take a magnifying glass, and have a look!

There are two noticeable problems, which you will only really know about if you read this review, or are familiar with the original prototype. Firstly, the guard irons on the six wheel tenders are at the front of the tender, rather than the back. This is only really visible if you are within six inches of the model however! Note, this is not affected on the watercart tenders. Secondly, the steam injectors between the two driving wheels are facing forward, rather than back. Yes, it is a glaring error when you know about it, but it should be fixable with a little care. Both problems should be fixed for some of the later models.

A number of detailing items, including brake rodding and other items are available for the purchaser to fit.

Looks: 8/10. Difficult really – I wanted to give it a 10, but the two errors knock off a point each.

Running:

The locomotive has had mixed reviews with this regard. A number of people have complained that their locomotives “couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding”! A thread on another forum ran to over 300 posts, with various solutions suggested. I would suggest that if you buy one, and it doesn’t work, send it back to Hornby.

All I can do is review my own model. It hauled eight coaches – five of the new Maunsells and three old LNER Gresley teaks with only a little wheel slippage on start off. This is helped by the fact that there is a traction tyre on the leading driving wheel. Some may baulk at this, but it does help the locomotive, and shouldn’t be too hard to replace. Frankly, the prototypes didn’t really haul much more than a six coach train, and in the BR period were relegated to secondary passenger routes, with only two or three coach trains.

The T9 runs smoothly over pointwork, and has pickups on all its wheels, helped by the plug socket that links the motor to the tender. A little fiddly to put in, but worth it in the end.

Running: 8/10

Conclusion:

This is a beautiful model, and is well worth the money for such a stunning addition to any loco shed. Yes, there is the odd problem, but I wouldn’t hesitate to heartily recommend this to any Southern region enthusiast.

Overall: 26/30
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737
Mighty

Re: Mighty's Hornby T9 Review

Post by Mighty »

As always, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

Great review Mighty!! I agree with all things said and the T9 is a great little engine. Though I'm sorry to say that mine has to go back to hattons since the right hand traction tyre snapped off the wheel :|
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

Nice review and pics. It's good to see a review from an 'end user' so to speak. It certainly looks very good.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. :)
Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Thanks for the review which is very close to what I have experienced.

Mine is in BR Green, which does not appear on your list.

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!
Mighty

Post by Mighty »

Road Stone wrote:Thanks for the review which is very close to what I have experienced.

Mine is in BR Green, which does not appear on your list.

Cheers, Jerry
Thanks very much - I was happy to write it, but a bit disappointed that it's still not on the main site about ten months after I'd written it! :?

Anyway, are you sure you've got one in BR Green? I've checked the Hornby website, and a few other sources too, and there doesn't appear to be one in BR Green that's been released. I understood that these locomotives were all painted in BR Black, lined and unlined, though there were a few in Malachite SR Green, with British Railways on the tender. It may be the Collecters Club limited edition one that you have perhaps? If you've got a photo, that would be great :)

Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

Yes it's Green with "British Railways" on the 8 wheel tender. Says limited edition on the box!

My Mum sent it to me, will post a pic when camera and loco are in the same location.

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Road Stone wrote:Yes it's Green with "British Railways" on the 8 wheel tender. Says limited edition on the box!

My Mum sent it to me, will post a pic when camera and loco are in the same location.

Cheers, Jerry
Its R2889 Class T9 Greyhound 4-4-0 30119 in SR Lined Bulleid Green as per Royal Train duty. Collectors Centre Ltd Ed of 1200.

Very beautiful this one! The livery is too modern for me, but I am tempted because it looks splendid!

Thomas
SOUTHERN FOR SUNSHINE
RubyRubyRuby

Post by RubyRubyRuby »

Got one but it don't work .the gears don't engage tried to fix it but cant see where gears are its all bulit in . also don't like fidley conection between the loco and tender . don't think I will buying any more Hornby superdetail I don't like way there designed.