Mighty's Hornby M7 Review

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
Mighty

Mighty's Hornby M7 Review

Post by Mighty »

Hornby M7 Review

The prototype:

The original locomotives were designed by the London and South Western Railway’s Chief Mechanical Engineer, Dugald Drummond, and they were his first major design. The 0-4-4 locomotives were designed primarily for local mainline and branchline services, and were first introduced in 1897. 105 locomotives were produced in five major batches. Some of the class were later converted to work with ‘push-pull’ carriage sets. In this instance, the train did not need to run round its train. The drive simply drove the train from a specially designed compartment in the rear coach, with air pumps controlling the brakes linked back to the engine. Nearly all of the class survived into nationalisation and they were finally withdrawn from service in 1964.

Review – the basics:

Hornby released their M7 locomotive in 2006, but are about to re-release the locomotive in 2009. Several versions have now been produced including both the short frame and long frame versions. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but gives an idea of the variety that you might find out there:

R2506 – BR (late) lined black, No. 30108 (weathered) – long frame
R2505 – BR (late) lined black, No. 30031 – long frame
R2504 – BR (early) cycling lion, No. 30051 – long frame
R2503 – SR Maunsell Green, No. 357 - short frame
R2625 – SR Maunsell Green, No. 111 – long frame
R2733 – SR Malachite Green, No. 676 – short frame
R2734 – BR (early), cycling lion, No. 30056 – long frame
R2735 – BR (late), lined black, No. 30036 – short frame
R2840 – SR Maunsell Green, No. 42 – short frame

Note – and ‘X’ after the catalogue number indicates that the locomotive is DCC Fitted, the absence indicates it is DCC Ready.

The cost of the locomotive is the one major downside. At a RRP of £90, it is expensive for a tank engine. The key is to look around before you buy. You can easily pick up one of these new for between £60 and £75 now with some research.

Cost/Value for money: 8/10

Looks:

The locomotive photographed here is No. 111, and is superbly detailed. It has the complicated Westinghouse air compressor pump detailed, along with the air reservoir beneath the frame. It also has sprung buffers, factory fitted brake detail (so you don’t have to fiddle to do it yourself), a very detailed interior and a variety of additional extras to fit yourself, should you wish. These include lamp irons, screw link couplings etc. Compared to the photographs, it is nearly spot on and goes well with Hornby’s new Maunsell coaches. A fine effort from a ‘super-detailed’ locomotive.

Looks: 9/10

Running:

Some owners have complained that they had problems hauling more than a coach or two. I have to say that I’ve not had that problem. The locomotive is an excellent runner, hauling four of the new Maunsell’s with ease and no slipping. It also hauls a variety of loaded wagons, in my case a dozen, with no problem. It very occasionally derails, but this is very much a rarity, and due more to poor track laying efforts than anything else.

Running: 8/10

Conclusion

If you model the Southern Region, then this is a must-have locomotive. Whilst it is not cheap, it is a good runner, superbly detailed and well worth the money. My advice – go get one before they sell out!

Overall: 25/30
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737
Mighty

Re: Mighty's Hornby M7 Review

Post by Mighty »

I should have said - feel free to make comments!
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737
bizzyd6405

Post by bizzyd6405 »

great review, definitely going got get one when i get paid, and if the other half moans i'll blame it all on your review lol
see my NSE era layout Lordsbridge - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20810
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

Another nice review thanks.

I still prefer the T9 tho' :)
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Top stuff Mighty, i haven't read all the T9 review through yet, but this and what i have read there are a very well written and balanced review of these lovely models. A joy to read. Many thanks as time and effort goes into writing good articles and i think you have done a great job.

I would have given the M7 30/30 though, but only because i am biased. :lol:

Chris
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Great review, thank you! I really love my M7, shame that I missed the LSWR version Hornby did as limited edition.
Mine runs very smooth, never derails and hauls well so I think the price was justified.

Thomas
SOUTHERN FOR SUNSHINE
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

An excellent review. I couldn't resist getting one at Railex 2112, when I visited the UK last. Mine seems to run very smoothly and well, although it only has a couple of coaches on my layout.

Phipps

Post by Phipps »

I can only imagine it looks really good in Malachite :wink:
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

Phipps wrote:I can only imagine it looks really good in Malachite :wink:
There is a picture on a model shop website:-

I think that they might still have one left at the time of writing:-

http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/Model ... otives.htm

If you scroll down and click on the picture you get a larger image, which is too big for this forum's software to accept.

I think that the current versions are Southern Railways black and a BR version. You may well be able to find a malachite green one elsewhere as well.