Dairy Suggestions

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Andrew Clarkson

Dairy Suggestions

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm

All,

Anyone got a dairy on their layout? I notice there's no decent ready made buildings, but be interested to see/hear of ideas, or scratch built examples even?!

Over to you! :D

Sprintex

Re: Dairy Suggestions

Postby Sprintex » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Ask me in about 6 months :lol:

Paul

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 am

P&D Marsh produce a complete dairy farm with rail link if you like, here are some pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P-D-Marsh-OO-Gaug ... 240%3A1318

I am guessing that this may be a little large for you intended application. ;) If you want something smaller than a full blown dairy then something like a creamery may be more appropriate. Here you will have milk arriving (often by lorry) and departing by rail (sometimes it may be processed on-site as well to give cream, butter etc). This sort of facility is a lot more managable than a full-blown dairy but retains the same sort of operational interest.

All you need is an industrial-looking building with a siding or two and some cover for loading. A large number of these facilities were built in the 1930s and so a white art-deco style building would be very suitable (nice and easy to model too as they are basically cubes).

I will try and dig out some other links that might be useful.
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

Andrew Clarkson

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Karhedron wrote:
I am guessing that this may be a little large for you intended application. ;) If you want something smaller than a full blown dairy then something like a creamery may be more appropriate. Here you will have milk arriving (often by lorry) and departing by rail (sometimes it may be processed on-site as well to give cream, butter etc). This sort of facility is a lot more managable than a full-blown dairy but retains the same sort of operational interest.

All you need is an industrial-looking building with a siding or two and some cover for loading. A large number of these facilities were built in the 1930s and so a white art-deco style building would be very suitable (nice and easy to model too as they are basically cubes).

I will try and dig out some other links that might be useful.

Now that's a fairly cool idea... keep it coming!

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Andrew Clarkson wrote:Now that's a fairly cool idea... keep it coming!

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

Here are some great shots of the creamery at Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Classic art-deco building with a square chimney stack and loading platform. Very distinctive and modellable. If you are short of space you could even do the building in low relief.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr ... _marsh.htm

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Fantastic pictures dude, I love pictures like that and theres plenty of modelling potential in there.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Here is a useful link about dairies on a model railway.

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/milk.htm

It includes some pictures of the model dairy on Moorcock as well as a track layout diagram of Lostwithiel dairy (a somewhat larger affair). Here is a link to some pics showing the dairy at Lostwithiel (last 2 pics show it particularly clearly).

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.anc ... e/clay.htm

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:45 pm

if there isn't any dairy farm buildings available, can't you just make it yourself out of an old ice cream tub?
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Odd Socks

Postby Odd Socks » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi,

I am planing on putting a dairy / bottling plant on my layout. I am planing to use a Scalescenes factory as the main structure. My biggest problem is that the building will be open on one side due to the working space which means that I need to do the inside.

Here are some pics I have dug out from the internet.

Hope this helps in some small way,
Tim

==============================================================
My layout on Personal layouts, Growing slowly.

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Odd Socks wrote:I am planing on putting a dairy / bottling plant on my layout. I am planing to use a Scalescenes factory as the main structure.

Now that is also a good idea. These fit nicely into urban or suburban layouts where the milk would be received rather than sent. I gather these were fairly common with ones at Cricklade, Ilford and Wood Green to mention just some London exmaples. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any photos of these so I don't know what they looked like.

I would hazard a guess that you would have a siding with loading platform on one side (probably with siphon equiment) to recieve the milk. The other side would then have an area for dispatching the bottled milk in floats and/or lorries.

This is just a guess though so if anyone can supply more info (and prefferably pictures) this would be very welcome.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 pm

It depends of course on what era you're modelling :wink:

Good ideas so far especially if they're for steam-era layouts. Personally I'm doing circa-1990 Sectorisation, and having worked for two different dairy companies when I was a truck driver at about that time they were no different externally to any other modern industrial unit - 4-foot or so of brick plinthe topped by corrugated sheetwork, with a row of truck loading bays on one side and the odd bay or two on the other side for poly-bottle intake. That and tanker-bays at one end for the raw milk and its associated pipework and storage tanks. Other than that just a few outbuildings for admin bods, maintenance shed, plus trailer park. Have a look on Google Earth at Fenstanton, Cambridgeshire (Dairy Crest) and Hatfield Peverel just near the station (Arla depot). :wink:

Paul

noel

Postby noel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

+

I think we need to know the era. because pre-1960' there were a lot of very small dairies based on local farms, that would give the modeller more opportunity for the rural setting.

The example I am thinking of is Spring Farm, at Goring-On-Thames, who did their own bottling and delivery locally.

The buildings were part of the normal farmyard scene.

+

Hiddle

Postby Hiddle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Assuming circa early 1960s, what vehicles are available to complement a dairy scene?

I don't think road tankers existed then - at least if they did I haven't found a model yet.
Regards

David

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:54 am

Skaleautos do a selection of electric milk floats
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

skorpio

Postby skorpio » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:18 am

There was a "creamery" [CWS] on the old Wallingford branch, all it had was a single private branch track, this was built, apparently, in the early '30s. Not actually a processing plant but just cooled the milk for transportation to the larger plants.
Would make an interesting addition to a local GWR branch line layout, not a major sized building, etc. I have plans of the building [1mm -1ft] and track plans of the branch line at Wallingford, was born and bred there, and have kept the book since then. I spent much of my youth "hanging around" the station area and travelled on the last train from Wallingford to Cholsey before closure, so have many memories of the line :lol: :wink:

Return to “Scenery”