Bachmann dcc starter set (not the junior one) review

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
trains!

Bachmann dcc starter set (not the junior one) review

Post by trains! »

Lately I have been looking for starter set review on this site, I didn't seem to find any :? So ill start them off :D heres my first ever review (dont be harsh unless needed, CC prefered though ):

I'm on about this set by the way:

I have just bought this set, overall it is very good. To put it even simpler 4/5 stars, 2 reasons why its not 5 :( . It comes with no buffers! and the point is normal not live frog. Anyway here is how bachmann boxes are presented and pictures of how i opened the box. :lol:

The locos:

The wagons and brakevan:

Underneath the polystyrene box is the track, leaflet and the users manual:

Track set out and some musi to make sure i dont die of the wonders of dcc :D :

Then i played trains :twisted: :

Then came out my beloved favourate train :

And to end it with a starter set related thing :

Who makes this set?
bachmann, and its very good :D, a nice cheap intriduction into dcc :D.

Why this set?
Well for me and my requirements it was ideal. It came with 2 locos, so it could give me a real idea of dcc. The only other bachmann starter set that comes with 2 locos at a reasonable price is a junior one.

What is i this set?
Two locos, oval of track with siding,E-Z controller,2 wagons and a brakevan, and all the wires needed to set up the whole thing.

Where did i get this set?
I got it from my local model shop as the price doesnt really change much around. I thought since its crimbo ill pay an extra £5 to get it straight away. (also means im supporting my local model shop )

Detail of set?
Overall the detail of the set is ok, for its price. I mean the locos are starterish and cheap to replace if the hit eachother head first . but the wagons are the same detail level as the ones you buy normally
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:
Ironduke

Re: Bachmann dcc starter set (not the junior one) review

Post by Ironduke »

trains! wrote:The only other bachmann starter set that comes with 2 locos at a reasonable price is a junior one.
HI Jake
Not to shoot you down in flames or anything but this is also a junior set. It's Thomas and Percy without the the faces.

How do they run?
Regards
Rob
trains!

Post by trains! »

Is it, wow i never knew. Now that youv'e said i can see it. They run ok but theyv'e suddenly stopped working but i think its my controller.

See my thread about my controller, i think ill have to take it back though.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

I started my layout just a week over a month a go with a Hprnby Pendolino set, as it contained the track I wanted for my layout. Paid #140 it. Although people have their opinions on the select controller. For a small layout like mine I have been running 3 trains quite happily. The pendolino itself was sold on fleebay but I definately recommend getting the set as a way of getting in to Digital as all the bits alone (without the Pendolino I got #80 back for) would have come close to 100 notes anyway. It came with buffer stops and clips for the points also.

The only point I would make is the best thing I ever did was solder the track together and drop power in every 4 sections, the trains ran perfect ever since. I think the Digital might be more prone to bad connections and not clean enough power?