800px Images now allowed

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
m3lyc

Re: 800px Images now allowed

Post by m3lyc »

If the forum is having problems with oversized images being posted, there is a modification available for phpbb3 which will overcome the problem because it resizes the image to fit the template. It's called Easy Resizer and can be downloaded from here;

http://www.phpbbegypt.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1

Incredibly easy to install, I installed it on an old phpbb3 forum of mine and it took about 5 minutes and it works perfect.

Lee.
Good things come to those who wait.... On that basis I should be able to start building my layout soon!
Steve Hill

Post by Steve Hill »

A small plea, which may be impractical, but since hard disk costs are declining all the time and broadband speeds are increasing, it there any chance of increasing the picture resolution beyond 800 pixels, maybe to 1024? It's five years since he increase to 800 was celebrated.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I know I've said it before, but it does require a bit of programming knowledge to realise why an error message doesn't relate to the real fault. PHPbb tries to open the filename that we give it, then tries to ascertain its size. It isn't programmed to check for the existence of the file that we tell it to open. So the first clue it gets that something is wrong, is when it can't determine its size. So "unable to determine image size" should be followed by " or file filename.ext cannot be found" but it doesn't, so an ordinary joe of jill remains totally baffled. Which is actually a major failing in a piece of software for public use. It should not be necessary to understand its internal coding to translate its error messages.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
rejrob

Post by rejrob »

HI sassy :D At the moment I am trying to upload/download picci,s to here and cracked it BUT twice whilst logged in trying to type(TWO FINGERED)a lengthy report on how I built some stuff to accompany the photo,s and at the end each time CANNOT SUBMIT NOT LOGGED IN piffle I was help an aged week it is not Ron
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Steve Hill wrote:A small plea, which may be impractical, but since hard disk costs are declining all the time and broadband speeds are increasing, it there any chance of increasing the picture resolution beyond 800 pixels, maybe to 1024? It's five years since he increase to 800 was celebrated.
Can I vote against that? Some other forums have bigger images an they are all over the place on my iPad. 800 is plenty especially when you add in the sidebars etc.

Cheers

Jim
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

800px should be plenty big enough - if you want to show larger images you can always link to them

its not just the physical size of the image but the file size of them especially for people who browse on mobile devices etc
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Jim S-W wrote:
Steve Hill wrote:A small plea, which may be impractical, but since hard disk costs are declining all the time and broadband speeds are increasing, it there any chance of increasing the picture resolution beyond 800 pixels, maybe to 1024? It's five years since he increase to 800 was celebrated.
Can I vote against that? Some other forums have bigger images an they are all over the place on my iPad. 800 is plenty especially when you add in the sidebars etc.

Cheers

Jim

Seconded, if you want bigger images set up a URL link to them using the url tags in place of the img tags

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

I have also found this free picture resizing tool, which seems to work fine. You just right click your photo and save it to another location or file at the pixel size you want :-

http://www.fotosizer.com/
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

You dont need to download any special software, Microsoft Picture Manager which is normally freely available with Windows has the capability to resize to predetermined sizes including document (small) = 800 x 800 pixels.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

luckymucklebackit wrote:You dont need to download any special software, Microsoft Picture Manager which is normally freely available with Windows has the capability to resize to predetermined sizes including document (small) = 800 x 800 pixels.

Jim
That piece of software comes with the Microsoft Office Suite from version 2003. Not everyone uses the Office suite. The above suggestion was just one of many simple free alternatives out there. Without mentioning hard to master Paint.NET GIMP etc
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

just upload your images to flicker which will then give you a range of sizes to choose from - its what i do as its easy :lol:
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

there is all this software, but, i've been uploading pics for years now, using a rarely known piece of software which is on most peoples PC's (apple has a version to i am sure?) it's called Microsoft 'Paint' ...within this wonderful item of software, you can resize, enlarge, crop etc etc, any jpeg or bitmap image etc, my advice is go find this on your pc, then upload as an attachment into the post you are writing by using the simple tools at the bottom of the writing window thingy. and have a play! that's how i learned. for tablets, iphones and god knows what other devices are out there in the contemporary sphere of internet enbled devices.. good luck and i refer yee to the previously mentioned items of special software.

Good Luck.

Chris P
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

i think it's time some one did a step by step set of instructions, using pictures for each step for this.. and i think i know a man who can.

I've got to locate a couple of kits for someone who has been waiting very patiently for me to get back to them, but after that, i will set about doing a really simple, 'your edwardian great greatgrandmother' could follow, illustrated instructions on uploading pictures to this website.

As you were

Chris P
InFullSteam

Post by InFullSteam »

Terrier wrote:i think it's time some one did a step by step set of instructions, using pictures for each step for this.. and i think i know a man who can.

I've got to locate a couple of kits for someone who has been waiting very patiently for me to get back to them, but after that, i will set about doing a really simple, 'your edwardian great greatgrandmother' could follow, illustrated instructions on uploading pictures to this website.

As you were

Chris P
Let us know when.
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

InFullSteam wrote:
Terrier wrote:i think it's time some one did a step by step set of instructions, using pictures for each step for this.. and i think i know a man who can.

As you were

Chris P
Let us know when.
To be honest, when i can be bothered, and also to be honest, if a member can type and post on the forum, they ought to be able to figure out how to upload images, most ask for assistance nicely and are grateful for the members here who will assist them with no problems, others it seems vent the energy they could use into figuring it out for themselves into complaining that the forum doesn't work. It's so simple to upload images within the maximum 800 pixel width, it beggars belief. Take one of my guide was thwarted by my wife accidentally covering over the microphone, rendering it, pretty useless. take two will happen, when it happens. Also Alex has posted a great guide to using a different route to uploading images, which for the time being, should be sufficient for anyone trying to upload images.

Chris P