Wenchford Railway- 00 Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedanticmongrel

Wenchford Railway- 00 Layout

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

This is my attic railway, i decided to get out all my old locos and stock in 00, sell the N guage and G scale and build a new layout for full length trains in 00, i didn't quite manage full length but i managed to make space for upto 8 coach expresses, this is Wenchford, it's very much a work in progress at this point, it's been on going for 3 months now, and so far comprises a mainline run of about 50fta slightly shorter branchline, a yard area with small branch station along side "Wenchford" itself and a big station with a branch yard and engine shed along side which is unnamed, any suggestions please reply with them, looking for home counties/southern/welsh names nothing northern please. The stock on Wenchford is mostly just stock I like, I haven't gone for a specific area or company, most of the stock I have so far is mainly GWR/BR(W) Southern and BR(S) along with BR standard types. Here are some photos of Wenchford so far, more information to be added with time.

35028 Clan Line speeds through the yet to be named station on an express while a 4 coach train sits in the yard behind BR Standard 4mt Tank 80061 and Southern Q1 class C8 sits in another siding awaiting duty.

92220 Evening Star (bachmann one) hauls a fast freight through the unnamed station while 80061 readies to depart.

A view of the unamed station with the same locomotives as in the previous 2 shots, also you can see 57xx 5775 hiding in the single road engine shed

Beautiful Q1 C8 in a siding waiting for it's next duty.

A view of Wenchford showing the mainline loops housing a pullman train and some other stock, alos the branch loop in the background and station in the distance on the branchline.

BR Q1 33037 hauls a freight train out of Wenchford South mainline tunnels.

Wenchford branchline station waiting it's next train, even though any passengers can see mainline services pass by.
Last edited by Pedanticmongrel on Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
GROTLAND

Re: Wenchford

Post by GROTLAND »

Looking very promising! I love the way the track flows and those tunnels look great, did you weather them? What do you plan to do with the surface mounted point motors because they sort of stand out a bit?
Wenchford? I'm sure i've been there before, ha ha
Pedanticmongrel

The point motors are the only real bad point so far, i will cover them eventually, i want to get all the track in place and have it working reliably before the scenery takes over. The name Wenchford came from a mate of mine who misheard an announcement on a Southampton to waterloo train and laughed at the name Winchfield. As for the trackwork, I hate setrack it looks too tight and long trains look silly and unrealistic, all the points are a minimum of medium radius, I refuse to use sharp radius points.

this is the current track plan, controlled from 2 panels, the outer mainlines from one and the inner branchline and sidings from another.

This is my plans for the future, the red is to be added and the blue taken away and the balck is already in existance, this planned extention will make the mainlines nearly 100ft in length, making the most of the attic space available.
Pedanticmongrel

I have started a website about Wenchford, there isn't much on there at the moment apart from an old video of it's early stages but hopefully more will be added soon.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi there

Just had a quick gander at your video on your site and it looks like you have already plenty to keep you occupied! I like the idea of settling for a smaller set up initially and then progressing onto something more substancial: it means you can run trains in the meantime and not get bogged down with just building the thing!

Are you going to concentrate your efforts on just developing the boards that you've done so far or will you be building all the boards ans competing the track circuit...or is it a case of 'do it as I feel like it'? :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Pedanticmongrel

The proiority is to finish all track laying and route building asap, a large taskall depending on when money allows etc, i'll be going into my local model shop and asking for a complete box of Peco flexi track again, the look of happiness on the guys face is priceless! Anyway I aim to have all lines running reliably first before too much more permanent scenery is added, the thing about this layout is I'm having to engineer it through all the storage items in the left, they can't go anywhere else, especcially seen as I filled the garage with scalextric last year! so alot of the route will be hidden in tunnels under storage and this also restrics the amouth of scenery and detail I can put in, but it does however allow me to run more realistic length trains for the first time ever, having grown up with setrack on the floor and one previous layout which my dad build where the longest train could be 3 coaches it's a relief to be able to fit an 8 coach train into storage loops and station platforms.
Pedanticmongrel

The website is starting to take shape, a couple of the pages aren't complete yet, but the video gallery is now 4 strong, and one of them is a remake of parts of the 1950's BTF Elizabethan Express.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

I would guess that it's very clever timing of real trains on video/tape mixed perfectly with the running of models on the layout - fantastic!
Pedanticmongrel

yeah it's some editing on windows movie maker, it can make any model railway video so much more watchable, especcially if you get the correct sound for each loco, in this more recent one I have done this, 76079 sound is 76079, 6007 is 6024, 4744 is 4744, 35028 is 35028 and 92220 is 92203.
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

Excellent videos and good operating scope on the layout .
One thing puzzling me - are the boards on the floor ?
Ron
Pedanticmongrel

The boards with the running lines on are supported by bracing timber on it's side and are about 2cm off the floor board highet of the loft, this is because it greatly increases the amount of space it gives, reduces the building cost, strengthens the p-way, reduces the impact on the loft space. When it was first started it was meant to give as little impact upon the loft space as possible and still be able to be used as a storage area, but as time as gone on it has grown and is now set to take over whilst still allowing the storage up there to stay, mostly on top of tunnels, of which there are 2 so far, both short enough to reach any stricken train but strong enough to hold many boxes on top and in the case of both a heating pipe which also passes overhead.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

looking good!

From the same town as me also hehe!
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

I must day that your videos are something else! very cool! i tried to make one once and it wasnt so great :lol:
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
Pedanticmongrel

redline41190 wrote:I must day that your videos are something else! very cool! i tried to make one once and it wasnt so great :lol:
Thanks, I'm inspired at the moment, and I intend on making a documentary of the railway, filming it and including commentary and sound along the lines of the online video productions or castle video productions of the 80's and 90's. Have you ever seen a video called "bluebell on parade", or "Blackmore vale and the Bluebell" they was produced by online video in the late 80's, and is the sort of lines I'm going to go for.
Pedanticmongrel

Time for an update I think, and will all these complains going through this thread I thought I may aswell find something work to justify an update, well there has been some, not loads but some. Over at Wenchford, the station platform was deemed too short, and so the station is closing in favour of a new one currently under construction, the platform and board extention to take it is done and can be seen below. Thebuildings to on it however have not been purchased or even decided as yet.
The name for the main station has been decided and name boards have been made yet not put up yet, it's called "Hosemouth", and the station that will be on the extention that should commence construction in a month is still under debate I have a hunch tho that I will stick to the suggestion of "Crotchley". Anyways I have some more recent photos of the line in action for you people to feast your eyes on.
First up we have the mainline control panel, note in top corner is a screen for a miniature camera which at the time was showing movements into and out of the mainline loops at Wenchford.
In this view we have 35028 "Clan Line" waiting to head into Wenchford South Mainline tunnel, atop the tunnel the camera can be seen with all it's gear within an old hornby brakevan I have used this for "drivers eyes" shots and will eventually incorporate them into a video on here, if anyone knows of free dvd ripping software it will be greatly appreciated
here we see the end of a freight train in Wenchford South mainline tunnel and 6007 hauling "The Red Dragon" out of the tunnel into the loops at Wenchford.
And finally for today we have a visitor, 10xx County Class 1026 "County of Salop" (Shropshire) made a brief visit for the second time along with her owner (Thom) and was hauling branch trains after struggling on the mainline with a box van train, but made another mainline appearance before leaving at the head of a rake of MK I coaches, we see her here bursting out from Wenchford South branchline tunnel.