DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonB

DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Postby DonB » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Hello All,

As I promised, in my introductory post: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=11936,
here are a few photos of progress on my loft layout project.

Some of you may recall that I had an accident in November 2006; I dislocated my right shoulder whilst surfing (!), as such, progress on the layout has been somewhat slow, until now!

The scenic area of the layout is loosely based on the Great Central station at Ruddington; and is modelled as if the GCR was still a through route. However, in my reality, it is "semi-preserved", more of that anon.

On with the photos:

The fiddle yard area.

Overview. The boards are 2' wide, the layout itself is 21' 6" X 7'.

Now, you may ask: "What the heck is he wittering on about, semi-preserved?"

Well, the REAL history of the GCR London Extension is well-known, however I present:

The GCR - An Alternative Reality

In 1966, with the announcement by B.R. of it's intention to close the GCR as a through route, alarm bells began to ring in various places. The Councils of Charnwood Borough, Leicester City, Rushcliffe and Nottingham were particularly worried as to what impact the closure of the line would be on their respective communities.
It was decided to approach B.R. with the proposal that the Councils would lease the Nottingham Victoria - Leicester Central stretch from B.R., the services being operated by the fledgling Main Line Steam Trust.
Somewhat surprisingly, B.R. agreed to the proposal, the MLST service commencing the day after the last scheduled B.R service had ran.

The line was eventually purchased from the Councils who had saved it, and in 1996, two years after the opening of the Channel Tunnel, the rail link connecting the Tunnel with London Marylebone was opened, Sir Edward Watkin's dream finally being realised.

However, the preserved stretch presents some interesting operating problems! Due to the Nottingham-Leicester section being designated a "Heritage" site, it is not permitted to electrify it. Through electric-hauled trains from Manchester Victoria to the Continent are piloted by a preserved diesel from Nottingham to Leicester, if no loco from the "big railway" is available.

NOTE:

OK, so really the layout give me an excuse to run my Continental stock, and my electric locos without catenary! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by DonB on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:10 pm

So, what has been happening in the last few months?

As soon as I was able to do so, I finished laying the track. This was finally completed last June.

To celebrate this milestone, I decided to hold an Open Day. :D
This served 2 purposes; to catalogue the locomotives, and to satisfy my partner, who wanted to see all the locomotives in one place. :D :roll:

Overall view of the Open Day proceedings.
This is the entire UK loco fleet.

I had been debating whether or not to take the plunge into DCC.
I decided not to go DCC after realising the extent of the collection, plus some of the older locos would probably be difficult to convert.

I found my original 2-track controller, an AGW PE144, hiding in a box in the loft. This unit had always given smooth, reliable control. Being stored for 15+ years hadn't affected it in the slightest.
I bid for, and won two other identical controllers on eBay, which I got for very low prices! The eBay ones are slightly different to mine; these control the fiddle yards and main lines, my original controls the main line, and can be switched in and out, depending in what "mode" I'm running the layout (it can be run in "train set" or in "simulator" mode!)

There are 2 panels, Fiddle Yard (4 controllers) and Station (2 controllers).

Don
Last edited by DonB on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi there I love the look of your fiddle yards and your engine collection is amazing! I work next to the GCR at Ruddington and so get to see it most days. I've always thought there station would make a great model.

I'd love to see some more pictures and maybe even a track plan!

Keep up the good work :)
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

Raider

Postby Raider » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:48 pm

Always a nice feeling when you get the track down.

What sort of size is your fiddle yard?

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 pm

What a great collection of stock you have too !

Is that a class 15 I spot right at the front ? Kit built ?

Looking forward to seeing this one progress !! Keep the photos coming !

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

To answer some of your questions:

S_Jay - I will be posting a trackplan soon, though I'm not exactly good at drawing! :oops: Plus, there are some areas I'm not too happy with...

Raider - The fiddle yard is 15' long overall, the longest siding is just under 14'. There are 10 roads.

DrStroganoff - Yes, the Class 15 is a Dave Alexander kit. She was assembled using solder & epoxy, and I used Halfords paint to finish.
She currently needs a new motor as she was flogged to death on my old layout, and on a friend's layout until recently. Can often be seen being dragged around by another loco (just like the real ones!)

Don
Don

Raider

Postby Raider » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Had a feeling it was going to be a long one.

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Well, I've managed to get a little bit more done today! :D

Screwed-up (not literally) the dangling choc block connectors to the baseboard frame. The wiring to the point motors just needs tidying up now.

Looking tidier...

For safety's sake, I made a cover for the loft trapdoor. This serves two purposes, to stop us falling out, and the cats getting in!
The 2 younger ones enjoy climbing the ladder and sitting on the main line (literally) and watching the trains go by!

Trapdoor Cover.
Recommended for peace of mind! :lol:

I've also scrounged - I mean acquired - two grab handles to assist me when I drag my carcass into the loft! These came from a bus, which was about to go to the great depot in the sky...
Cost - £0.00p.(B&Q price for a stainless-steel handrail - £16.99!)

One handrail fitted,
One to go!

I had a bash at ballasting today, photos coming soon!
(I have to keep telling myself "LEAVE IT!" so I'll check it tomorrow.)

Don
Last edited by DonB on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don

DonB

My Method Of Fitting The Peco PL-10E

Postby DonB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:53 pm

In the meantime, while I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the ballast, I will share with you the method I use to fit my Peco PL-10E point motors.

First of all, I find the centre of the tiebar throw, and mark it. Then I drill a 10mm hole. If this is done correctly there should be no problems.
(Alternatively, you can use an 8mm drill, depending on how accurately you work. I used the 10mm drill for an extra bit of "fiddle factor.")
This method avoids cutting out huge rectangular holes in the baseboard.

On to the motors themselves:

After I have fitted the mounting plate and accessory switch, I wire it like this:

Point Motor Assembly.
All wire ends are tinned.

Now for the fun bit! You will need a willing helper to assist with aligning the damn things...

To hold the assembly to the underside of the board, I used "Bostik Sticki Dots". These will hold the motors in place long enough while you screw them to the board.

Bostick Sticki Dots.
I bought mine from "Partners".

TIP: Use a carpenter's bradawl to start the hole (Wickes do a good, cheap one).

Test the motor. If all is well, fine. If not, adjust. :D

I hope this helps.

Don
Last edited by DonB on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:32 pm

hi Don nice layout you have. it will look good when you have done a bit more to it. I have got some bridge kits that are based on the GCR bridge at Ashby-magna. but they do look like the other ones as well. The kit comes with a few styles of what you want. if you want contact me via pm to find out more!

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Donb,

Fantastic pic of the open day, will be fun operating all the points :lol: :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

davek

Postby davek » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Don,
Your method of fixing the points is the same as I did, except I used double sided tape. I look forwards to seeing more pics of the layout as you progress.

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 am

DonB wrote:Image
Don

Wow love your fiddle yard, How many locos have you managed to fit on there?!

I'm needing something similar for my new track plan, as with 136 locos to house, like you i need a large yard lol :D

DonB

Postby DonB » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:13 pm

mycerbera wrote:
Wow love your fiddle yard, How many locos have you managed to fit on there?!

There are, I think, 71 locos in the pic, this counts the 2 Blue Pullman and 2 HST power cars, as these are powered (My Continental stock isn't pictured). The locos are quite widely-spaced, so there is room for a few more!

The loco storage sidings will be at bottom right in that pic, where the 2 loose points are!

Don
Don

DonB

Postby DonB » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Right... Here are a couple of pics showing my first attempt at "proper" ballasting.

Feedback and comments welcome.

How's this?!

"FALCON" picks her way carefully through the new ballast.

Quite frankly, I'm dreading ballasting the points... :roll:
Any suggestions on the best way to do this are more than welcome. :D

Don
Last edited by DonB on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”