Trecarreg - Dave's Quarry Layout in N

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
engineer dave

Trecarreg - Dave's Quarry Layout in N

Postby engineer dave » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi all,

Well my (son's) first layout is underway, Ron's explained image posting to me so here's my thread....

The layout is a simple N gauge 4ft x2ft, located in a Welsh quarrying town. Hence the name 'Trecarreg' which should mean 'Stone Town' or 'Town of Stone'

The trackplan shows that there is a double loop, with sidings on the right which will be sheds, coaling stage etc, and the sidings on the left which will be the quarry.

The baseboard is ply, with a 50mm layer of styrofoam over it, which will allow me to landscape down as well as up. For example, I've added a cutting with an unpowered bit of track, just to add visual interest.

More to follow......
Last edited by engineer dave on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Well here is my progress to date. This part of the track (not shown on trackplan) is not powered, and only there to look nice. I had to get this bit completed before I can start work on the trackwork that runs above it over the bridge.

I did my first bit of ballasting, and it went pretty well, mostly thanks to the advice from members on this board, so...cheers.

Off now to paint some track (i find its easier to do before its laid). I'll post again when there's a decent amount of progress to report.

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Nice work with the cutting Dave - it looks like a candidate for future expansion to me :)
What era and stock have you got in mind ?
Best of luck
Ron

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 pm

Dave, great start there.

Will the cutting get in the way of some of the sidings, though?

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:11 pm

I'll be modelling 1960's-70's, that way I can have a couple of steam engines, and my new class 04 for shunting in the quarry.

There will be another bridge over the cutting which will lead to the sidings on the right. There'll be just enough room if I use setrack points!
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:35 am

Update - Main loops almost finished

Just the last bit of the inner loop to do, on the raised section, but I'm finding flexi-track awkward. I have to use setrack in most places. I think I'm trying to push it round too tight a radius.

Here's the mainlines running over the viaduct

And here's a shot of the viaduct from the other side....and yes, I am working in the kitchen!

santene

Postby santene » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm

that looks like a good layout i wouldnt have the patience using settrack lol i like flexi :) get to make new radiouses :D
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Its hard to fix flexi track to the styrofoam it seems, as any sideways pressure on the track pins pulls them out of place. Also, I'm finding that bending the flexi track pulls on the joints I have already made, sometimes pulling them out of the rail joiners completely. Its gonna be a problem as there's some sections of the trackplan that I can only do with flexi. The only bits of flexi on the layout so far are the straights!!!!

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 pm

How did you make the viaduct?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Excellent start there mate, like the idea of the 'scenic' bit of track that doesn't actually go anywhere :wink:

Paul

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 pm

That is a very neat piece of small scale modelling i love the cutting it looks really neat i,ll keep my eye on this thread.

Simon.

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 am

sishades wrote:How did you make the viaduct?

The viaduct is the Ratio 3 arch viaduct kit, with the piers considerably reduced in height

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks everyone for you encouraging comments.

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Geezer wrote:Excellent start there mate, like the idea of the 'scenic' bit of track that doesn't actually go anywhere :wink:

Paul

Thanks. The reason its there is that I really wanted a bridge of some kind and didn't have the space for long inclines, therefore I had to landscape downwards and neede something for the bridge to go over!

My plan is to have another bit of scenic track too. This will be narrow gauge to represent the quarry railway, and will run high up on some cliffs at the back

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Flexitrack on curves.. seems to work for me to get them to hold their shape...Solder up the fishplates as you go...
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”