Fitting Kadees to Non Nem Stock

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
Raider

Post by Raider »

OK, is it possible to purchase said NEM pockets? Had a quick poke around the interweb but can't see anywhere that sells them
Raider

Post by Raider »

Another question (hate to make 3 posts in a row, but hey)

Mumbles - did you use a number 5 coupling on the tender? Just had a quick look at another loco and it looks like I need to hack away a fair junk of the buffer beam to get the coupler at the right height.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Raider wrote:Another question (hate to make 3 posts in a row, but hey)

Mumbles - did you use a number 5 coupling on the tender? Just had a quick look at another loco and it looks like I need to hack away a fair junk of the buffer beam to get the coupler at the right height.
yer lots of hacking was involved although none to the buffer beam,
see this pic
takes a bit of a leap of faith and i went bit by bit until i had removed enough to get the right height, have you got a height gauge yet?
michael
Raider

Post by Raider »

Looks like you have taken off the bit that sticks down on the coupler. With the one I am looking at doing it looks like I need to be able to have the coupler sticking out of the back of the tender slightly so that it's clear of the buffers.

Yes, I have the height gauge
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

if you get the coupler with an underset shank you don't need to hack as much off. and if you get a long shank it will stick out past the buffers
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page66.htm
Regards
Rob
Raider

Post by Raider »

So much choice it's confusing.

The couplers I have available to me are No 5's No 19's and No 20's, I got the 19's and 20's as I thought they would slot straight in to the Hornby couplings, but I was wrong.

Here are a few shots with a number 5 pushed up against the buffer beam and the height gauge.

And one of the underneath of the tender

There is very little room behind the buffer beam for the coupling and the only way I can of getting a number 5 to fit is to take out some of the beam - any other suggestions?
John Geeeee

Post by John Geeeee »

Raider wrote:OK, is it possible to purchase said NEM pockets? Had a quick poke around the interweb but can't see anywhere that sells them
You can get packets of replacement Bachman mini tension couplings that come with NEM pockets. Ive bought some from Hattons when I broke some pockets on my wagons when fitting Kaydees.
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums
Raider

Post by Raider »

Cheers for that John - I shall have a chat to my friendly local model shop tomorrow when I pay a visit.
John Geeeee

Post by John Geeeee »

Raider wrote:So much choice it's confusing.

And one of the underneath of the tender

There is very little room behind the buffer beam for the coupling and the only way I can of getting a number 5 to fit is to take out some of the beam - any other suggestions?
Another way is to drill a small hole in the "fat" part of a No.20 and screw it on to that hole in the tender base. You can just chop of the legs of the No.20 to make it fit. You have to screw it up tight though to keep the coupling centered and this can be a problem if you have tight radius curves or tight S bends. I did it with one of my loco tenders and it works fine on my layout.
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums
Raider

Post by Raider »

Why didn't I think of that!!

The added bonus is that the end of the 20 fits nicely in a gap on the underside of the tender so that should help to keep it straight - just need to sort out a drill small enough to drill the hole now.